Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › All Things Italian › Translations › Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro
For help with translating documents or writing letters.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Luca wrote:

Wink

Visto che sai leggere l'Italiano dai un'occhiata a questa pagina: 209.85.135.104/search?...&gl=it

Ciao
Luca

...and before anyone even thinks about it - no, I'm NOT going to translate that!!!

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
jron
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Good to see there are those familiar with the Catasto's here. Maybe you can answer another question of mine. Often the person is said to 'abita in case propria' which I read as lives in own house, but then goes on to say in the next sentence 'and pays "either a person or church" a set amount of money.

Is this sort of a old fashioned 'mortgage' or debt borrowed on the house ?

The reason why I can't find the distincition is that for example if it is paid to person X and I look at persons X's assets it usually doesn't list this income as an 'asset'.
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Confused Confused

Prova a postare qualche immagine e vediamo se si riesce a trovare il nesso.

Luca
jron
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

This is a typical opening statement describing the house.

img261.imageshack.us/i...asalr1.jpg
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Potresti mettere tutta la pagina?

Luca
jron
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

I tried pasting a whole page but the photo size is just too big for this site. The rest of the paragraphs talk about the pieces of land that is owned.

I am not concerned with the translation since I know what it is saying. I just want to know if the payment to Magnifico Ieraci was a loan that he made for the building of the house or was it seperate debt the household paid the person and the church.

What was common practice in those days?
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

If you would like to post the entire document, you can upload it to photobucket or Image shack. Once you do thet, you can provide a link to the image so it can be viewed in it's entirety. Or you can email it to me, and I can upload it to one of my domains and post the link here for you.

jron
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Honestly I don't know how the whole page will help. It is not a question of translation. I know what it says.

It says that the lives in his own house, next to Diego Badalato, and pays a 6 'carlini' (a unit of currency at the time) to a Magnifico Ierace and one 'grano' (another unit) to a church.

The rest of the paragraph is just listing other bits of land that he owns and how much the land is worth.

My question is not what the document says but what does the payment to a particular person mean.

Most of the people in the town lived in their own house and were also paying someone. I notice all the 'Don's' and 'Magnifico's' (upper class) didn't have payments which to me means they owned their house outright.

My question is more a socialogical issue. Did the lower classes ever own their houses or were debts just passed down from generation to generation in a vicious cycle.
Luca
Translator
Translator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Carole wrote:
Luca wrote:

Wink

Visto che sai leggere l'Italiano dai un'occhiata a questa pagina: 209.85.135.104/search?...&gl=it

Ciao
Luca

...and before anyone even thinks about it - no, I'm NOT going to translate that!!!

I'd never ask you such a thing Mr. Green

Seriously, you know what I think about translations (I believe I already said it somewhere in the forum). I think everyone that is trying to "rebuild" his own italian genealogy needs to do each possible effort to read docs written in italian (I don't mean manuscripts, of course), because it's a way to be closer to own "roots". Then, if there is something unusual or tangled, the professional translators here on gente are always on (I'm not one of them, clearly, despite what's upon my avatar Crying or Very sad )

Luca
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Luca wrote:
Then, if there is something unusual or tangled, the professional translators here on gente are always on (I'm not one of them, clearly, despite what's upon my avatar Crying or Very sad )

Luca

I haven't been on in a few days Luca......but if I had been I would have jumped all over you the day you posted this!!! Everyone here DOES consider you and expert translator. You've helped alot of people and you have so much to offer to everyone here and it's greatly appreciated!! Shame on you for thinking otherwise! Evil or Very Mad

Now don't ever think that way again.......we all love you!! kiss

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

BillieDeKid wrote:
Luca wrote:
Then, if there is something unusual or tangled, the professional translators here on gente are always on (I'm not one of them, clearly, despite what's upon my avatar Crying or Very sad )

Luca

I haven't been on in a few days Luca......but if I had been I would have jumped all over you the day you posted this!!! Everyone here DOES consider you and expert translator. You've helped alot of people and you have so much to offer to everyone here and it's greatly appreciated!! Shame on you for thinking otherwise! Evil or Very Mad

Now don't ever think that way again.......we all love you!! kiss

I AGREE!!!!! Luca is awesome! Very Happy

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

I must admit that for me, working with the other translators here on "Gente" is a pure delight. So often a 'part and parcel' of a translators life is lost through petty rivalries - but the 'team' here - if I may be allowed to call the group that - is indeed awesome. As I said once before "No one person can ever be perfect... but a team CAN!" I firmly believe that. Working together means that one way or another we can both satisfy our membership and help them to learn too.

I have found that Luca's transcriptions of (for me) almost totally illegible documents and also those of ancient documents, have allowed me to produce translations to a fairly reasonable standard. For that I thank him from the bottom of my heart. kiss

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

All 3 of you - Luca, Livio and you Carole do a great job. I have learned so much from the 3 of you and am very grateful. I would have missed so much without you. I must admit though, I do miss Livio correcting my horrible spelling of Italian names! Embarassed Very Happy

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

Let me jump on the band wagon too! We would be so lost without you..all of you! kiss kiss

Calabria Exchange
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Occupation translation from Catasto Onciaro Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more!! So Livio, Luca and Carole.....all I can say is.....

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
  Page 2 of 5All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: