Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Good Morning President Obama!

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Good Morning President Obama!
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

It's 5.09 am here and history has just been made.
I'm not an American, but I'm crying too... America has today really grown up (in the nicest possible sense).

Now the work begins for the USA AND THE REST OF US TOO!

What an exciting time we have ahead of us!

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Indeed, Carole! There are many challenging and exciting times ahead for the US and the world, but I feel we will face them with calm determination and passionate ingenuity. We have labored so long under the rule of a feckless administration with misguided notions of democracy that it is almost impossible not to imagine that any change would be better than what now exists. The biggest disappointment of the almost eight years leading up to this day is that we, Americans, allowed ourselves to be held in the thrall of politicians who had no faith in the spirit of the republic and the integrity of the people which they served; that we found solace in the lowest common denominator of human beings. Hopefully, we as a nation, and as individuals will take to heart the lessons of freedom and democracy that we recently have only given lip service to: diligence and active participation is essential for our political processes and our country to remain viable; and, it is a prerequisite for us to be true partners with the nations and peoples of the world. Forgive the language of the time, but John Donne said it best: "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Scribbling
ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Go Obama GO!
I hope USA population will remember you in the future as the best president ever!!
I wish you all americans my best for the future, life, economy, family and so on
kisses and hugs to all of you
Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

I normally steer clear of anything political but...Right on Tom! For those of you who did not hear President-elect Obama's speech I urge you to watch it. It was inspiring (no matter who you voted for) and I hope all American's heed his call for help and become more active so we can all get on our feet again and have a better nation. On a side note, Mr. McCain's speech was very classy. I was quite impressed. Our fair city of Chicago never looked so good as it did last night. I am sorry now that I did not go to Grant Park.
On a lighter side, I look forward to seeing what trends Michelle Obama sets in fashion! Wink What a stunning woman!

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Tom, very well said! On a genealogical note, now I can be proud that both our new president and myself descended from a family of goat sheperds. LOL. Who would have ever thought that?????

MauroMags
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Here in the very blue state of New Jersey, there is a sense of the fog being lifted. I hope this feeling of enthusiasm lasts a little bit longer... On another genealogical note, Obama is the son of an immigrant, a connection that many of us gente members can relate to.
MikeSavoca91
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

I am very happy about the whole thing, I just wish I was a year older so I could have voted! I am sure he will do good for the country (plus let's face facts how much worse could it get...ehh still worse I guess, but not much). I am with you Mauro, the feeling around today is great and I hope it lasts! Time will tell, but I have great hopes.

chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Greatest day ever!

My first time voting for an American president since I became a citizen of this country, so I'm elated!! GO OBAMA!~

Almost as awesome as when I was 18 years old and voted "NO" to who knows how many more years of dictatorship by General Pinochet [in Chile]!

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

As historian Doris Kearns Goodwin stated last night, no President since FDR has faced more daunting challenges than our President-elect, Barack Obama. After listening to Obama's victory speech last night, I did a search of FDR's First Inaugural Address. Eerie how similar the economic conditions of the country were then and now.

Below is as link to the audio and text of FDR's 1932 Inaugural Address.
FDR First Inaugural Address

And no President since JFK Kennedy has captured the hearts and hopes of the American people more than President-elect Obama.

He has earned and deserves our respect, our support and our prayers.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

MikeSavoca91 wrote:
I am very happy about the whole thing, I just wish I was a year older so I could have voted! I am sure he will do good for the country (plus let's face facts how much worse could it get...ehh still worse I guess, but not much). I am with you Mauro, the feeling around today is great and I hope it lasts! Time will tell, but I have great hopes.

Mike, it is for people of your generation (and younger) that I feel so pleased.

Now - instead of facing a bleak, hopeless future, you can all sleep sound in your beds with the clear knowledge that there are finally moves afoot to ensure that you will all have a share in a sound, fair, and a safer future!

That this groundswell will continue and ultimately embrace all nations, all religions and all peoples. That was what our forebears hoped for and it's about to happen! God willing...

>Expats in Italy<
stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

I believe that obama won due to his race and I also believe that sarah palin really messed things up for john mccain... if john mccain would of picked Romney, Mccain and Romney would get getting ready for the white house. But alot of people who voted, voted based on race and NOT understanding policies. Howard Stern had guys walking in the street talking to obama "supporters" and questioning them saying Obamas policys were mccains and Mccains were obamas, and they agreed with Obama (even though they told them mccains policies instead)

Researching: DiLenge,Taiano,Lagonigro,Bertoli,Holick(Holick and every other way spelt), Rykowski, Hraba,Roman
tjbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Steve, you are right that Barack Obama won because of his race, the masterful race that he ran to become our next president. He graduated from Columbia University, Harvard Law School, was the fisrt African-American to serve as president of the Harvard Law Review. We're not talking about a slouch here. I'm sorry but in 2008, after the despicable institution of slavery scarred on our national history along with the treatment of native Americans as well as Italian Americans and perhaps almost every ethnic group, we have a chance to heal and reverse racism just doesn't float!

Scribbling
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Well, regardless of why he won, the fact remains that he did win and he will be the next President. I am not much into politics (as everyone knows) because I find that every time it comes up, tempers end up flaring which is quite frankly why I am turned off by it. I didn't say much on this thread because history has been made with his election and that is important to many of us...the children of immigrants, regardless of race, creed or color. I am interested in seeing how he will affect the future of America. There are high expectations for him and I am curious to see if he can live up to it.

Now just a note..FROM MY VIEW

I will let this thread continue as long as everyone posting continues to be respectful of each other - AND EVERYONE HAS BEEN SO THANK YOU. - The moment anyone says anything that offends or is disrespectful to another, or any "floaters" pop in (they do that when these types of posts appear on google) I will have to lock the thread or remove it. I hope you all understand. Very Happy

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

I didnt say much because I am not political either. In my lifetime, I have seen many presidents come and go..and they all seem to do the same thing..promise the world in their campaign..then deliver nothing when they are in office.

As far as Obama..I think he won not only because of the color of his skin, but also because, the dems could have put Mickey Mouse out there, and he would have won, because of who we have had for the past 8 years. McCain, or any other republican, didnt have a chance in hell, winning. McCain wasnt their best choice, to begin with, and Palin didnt help him..she only drew a lot of attention to herself and her family, boosting him up for a short period of time..then ended up giving this country more laughs, with saturday night live and everybody else poking fun at her. It seems, when this country gets disgusted with a president, the guy in the opposite party wins the next election. So..a lot came into play, for Obama to win..everything was on his side.

I hope all of the young people, who got out there to vote for him, realize..that what they say they will do, when they campaign..is seldom what they end up doing. He cannot just yank all of our young people out of Iraq, immediately and this country is broke..do people really expect taxes to go down? Between him and Biden, they couldnt seem to make up their mind, exactly who..would not be taxed. First it was people earning under 200,000 and then that number kept going lower. They say what they have to say..to get elected.

So..for the time being..this country looks like it is actually united. Everybody is happy. Lets see how it is, a year from now..when some who voted, see what actually happens to campaign promises.

Personally, I didnt care who won. I dont expect much difference, except..we now have a president, who has an excellent grasp of the english language..and can say the word nuclear correctly. Thank God for small favors..lol
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Morning President Obama! Reply with quote

Well I started this thread by saying
"America has today really grown up (in the nicest possible sense).
Now the work begins for the USA AND THE REST OF US TOO!
What an exciting time we have ahead of us!"

I stand by that, and I was so pleased to hear what both candidates and the people were saying (irrespective of political leanings), when Barack Obama was declared the winner.

From both McCain and Obama I heard 'respect' for an opponent. From the 'people' interviewed on television I heard words of reconciliation, understanding and hope. Things not heard in America for a very long time... immigrants should know that almost better than anyone.

I totally support Nuccia's stance here on "Gente" - here we both expect nothing less than mutual respect and the ability to accept that everyone has a right to thier own opinion.

BTW - The only people allowed to fight around here are the two of us... but we do that in private!!!!

>Expats in Italy<
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: