Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Pileggi/Maiuolo

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Pileggi/Maiuolo

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
Thanks for the 1900 census. It seems Carlo was a "boarder" in the Caterino household. Mary Pileggi is labeled as sister-in-law, but that would mean she married John Caterino. Frank is noted as a nephew-in-law, so it's somewhat confusing, but the fruit dealer element seems constant and it seems Carlo may have branched off from the Caterino business as Carlo is listed as salesman whereas by the 1910 census he's the fruit dealer with his sons as salesman.

Thank you for the info!

When it gives the relationship it is to the head of the household so Carlo was a boarder, Mary was the sister in law of the head of household (Caterino) and Frances was the nephew in law of the head of household (Caterino). I don't know if I made that more confusing or not.. hide but on thing is for sure Mary and France's last name is the same as Carlo's. This puts Carlo's approximate year of birth around 1850 I believe and I don't know if this fits or not but I did want to throw it out there for you Very Happy

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

That's what somewhat confused me originally as I'm not sure why Carlo would be listed as "boarder" instead of brother-in-law unless he was a sibling of Mary, not her husband, though their years of marriage are the same.

What it also confuses is that in the 1910 census, he is listed as married to "Annie" for 14 years. Frank also is listed as Carell, not Pileggi by that point, and is Carlo's step-son, so a few confusing pieces.

I think the 1850 birth date is close, but he's listed in 1910 as 62 years old and having arrived to the US in 1895, not 1896. Not sure what the odds are of two Carlo Pileggi's living in neighboring towns (Arlington and Medford) both with fruit dealer professions and an inability to speak English, but hopefully someone else may be able to shed light on this...

Thanks for the time and effort though!
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Woo Hoo! Thank you so much Jay!! Your Domenica looks very much like my grandmother and the bishop looks like her brother. Thanks my dad's cousin will be thrilled as am I.

Welcome Angela! The Bishop was my grandmother's cousin so I guess we are distant cousins. My great aunt Mary sent money to the bishop on a regular basis for the orphanage and lengthy letters to him. Her daughter will be so happy to see what Jay sent me! She has told me about him often and asked me to find something about him for her but I had given up on that years ago. I have an idea of your Maiuolo ancestry but since we are missing a generation or 2 I cannot be sure. But if the Bishop was Domenica's brother and my grandmother's cousin, my assumptions are probably correct. Do you know who her father was? Do the names Frontera, Sapone, Savino, Mungo or Napolitan(o) ring any bells?
Were the Pileggi's from Caserta?

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Glad the pic's were the right ones to share--Angela's collection is a fruitful one.

Unfortunately, I don't have much on the Pileggi's. To answer your question on Caserta, the only records I've seen that people have shared with me have said the hometown was Cortale. On my great-grandfather's first arrival in 1900, it said "Castale" but since that town doesn't exist I figured it was supposed to say Cortale. As he also stayed in the States until 1910/1911 only to return briefly to Cortale to get married, I assume he must have lived in Cortale and had known Domenica somehow prior to his leaving. I guess my next objective, somehow, would be to see if Antonio Pileggi was born in Cortale in 1883 (17 in 1900 on immigration record) and then check to see if his father Carlo was born in Cortale around 1848 (62 on 1910 US Census). Then go from there.

If there's something I can do to take some laboring off your shoulders, please feel free to pass it on. I feel bad you've shared so much and I haven't been able to return much of the favor minus photos my cousin lent me.

Regardless, so glad to get in touch with some family, however distantly related!

Jay
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Jay, you under-estimate your contributions to me! The story of the bishop, his photographs (kneeling before the Pope and kissing his ring, no less!!!) and your Domenica who looks so much like my grandmother mean so much to me. Years ago my father's cousin (whom we are very close with) asked me to find something out about the Bishop. It is the only thing she ever asked of me. I had given up on this years ago. You have made us both very happy and she will be so thrilled to see what you have given me.
There is nothing I can do to help you with Antonio, however, if Carlo was born in Cortale I should have access to his birth act. I plan on going to my family history center Tuesday (provided we do not have another snowstorm here) and will look for it then. This will give us his parent's names and ages and I can look for their marriage records which should give us their parent's names. If you wish to go back further let me know.
If you wish to write to Cortale to ask for Antonio's birth act, I can share with you my own request (all you will have to do is replace my grandmother's name and birth year with Antonio's) and see if they respond.
Do you know Domenica's father's name? Is it Antonio?
By the way, I do not know if this would interest you or not but I have been told by several people that Santa Maria Maggiore Church was built by Maiuolo's and over the centuries only Maiuolo's have been allowed to do repairs on the church. My Maiuolo's lived in "Donnafiore" otherwise known as "Upper Cortale".
Again, thank you so much!

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Well thank you for making me feel less guilty in the "info-exchange." I plan on writing to Cortale as that's where I assume the Pileggi's last touched Italian soil and then I'll go from there. I'm hoping to find my great-grandparents' marriage certificate and their birth announcements, and so on.

If you have a sample, I'd love to see it. My best friend's sister has also offered her translation services; I just would like to know what's the best place to write to.

In a related construction note, my father mentioned to be that his Maiuolo (now Maioli) relatives in Medford built my grandparents' house in Melrose, MA. I guess the ability to build runs in the family.

Again, without burdening you, any further info you can give will be most appreciated. I now have my father hooked as well on this search as we've gone some time without any substantial info.

Jay
Angela

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

I have a document from the my aunt Mary Peledge that appears to be some type of church publication. There is an article in it that refers to the bishop. Jay any chance we can connect so you can get this translated?

Also a note on the Stagliano connection. Antonio Pileggi's sister was married to Paulo Staglino and they were the parents of Michael Stagliano who introduced my father (his cousin) John Peledge to my mother Mary Marchese in 1948 in West Medford, MA.

Angela
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
Well thank you for making me feel less guilty in the "info-exchange." I plan on writing to Cortale as that's where I assume the Pileggi's last touched Italian soil and then I'll go from there. I'm hoping to find my great-grandparents' marriage certificate and their birth announcements, and so on.
If you have a sample, I'd love to see it. My best friend's sister has also offered her translation services; I just would like to know what's the best place to write to.
Jay
Jay, we are here to help so please do not worry about asking for anything. I will email you the request I made. You must ask very specifically for what you want or they will not give you exactly what you need so use my letter which was written by our expert (and native of Italy) Riccardo. I will remove my grandmothers information and direct you what to put in it's place. Wait to send it until I get the chance to go to my center Tuesday where hopefully I will be able to find Carlo's birth act. That may give you more information to give Cortale to obtain later records.

Angela wrote:
I have a document from the my aunt Mary Peledge that appears to be some type of church publication. There is an article in it that refers to the bishop. Jay any chance we can connect so you can get this translated?
Angela
Angela, if you can scan the document and upload it to Photobucket or Image Shack you can post the link on our Translation board here and one of our experts can translate it for you. If you do not know how to do that you can email it to me, I can upload it to my server and link it on the translation board for you. All of our translators live in Italy so they are native speakers. Let me know if you need my email.

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Thanks, Cathy. Best of luck on your Tuesday quest and hopefully that'll lead me further down the track.

Angela, you can post it to this site or e-mail it to me (jaypeledge@yahoo.com) and I'll have my buddy look at it (they still speak Italian at his parents' house). I've also found GoogleDocs' translator feature is pretty accurate with only minor glitches.
jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Hi Cathy,

Any luck on the Antonio birth certificate quest? Hopefully your snow excursions, if it came, were as easy to navigate as ours here.

Also, I can get the letter out soon if you have time to upload your sample.

Thanks,
Jay
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Jay,
I will not have access to Antonio's birth since it would have taken place after 1860 and the access via microfilm records ends with 1861. I am looking for Carlo, his father. I could not find it where I expected it to be but have copied birth indexes and will be looking through those soon. My apologies, but I have a full schedule every night this week.
I hope to have your information no later than Saturday. I will email you the letter for Cortale this afternoon though. In the meantime you can look through the Catanzaro Exchange for marriage records for your family. Sorry for the delay – I was not expecting to have so much planned for this week.

jpeledge
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

No problem. I've been so wrapped up in how great this experience has been for me that I'm just so anxious to find more. I'm somewhat a genealogical addict right now. Take your time and I look forward to seeing whatever you come across.

Jay
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

jpeledge wrote:
In a related construction note, my father mentioned to be that his Maiuolo (now Maioli) relatives in Medford built my grandparents' house in Melrose, MA. I guess the ability to build runs in the family.

Jay

Naturalization doc for Antonio Maioli

Could this be Domenica's brother? If so, it gives his arrival date and ship. I believe the correct ship name is Duca D'Aosta not D'Agosta.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to make of this. Duca d'Aosta March 1910 manifest for a Fortunato Maiuolo from Cortale, date of birth about 1893, occupation shoemaker. Leaves father Giovanni in Cortale going to Chicago IL to join brother Domenico.

Page 1

Page 2

I did searches for this vessel with arrival in March 1910 for first name begins with Ant and for last name begins with M. This is the only possible I found.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb

Last edited by Biff83 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pileggi/Maiuolo Reply with quote

Very interesting document Biff. I was not aware of other Maiuolo's in Chicago - my grandmother's family was very close. We are still in contact with most of them (or rather their descendants) 100 years later. I remember the story of a cousin who came here but hated Chicago and went back to Cortale. I wonder if this is him?

Page 3 of 5All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: