No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Muscatello
Last post by jnmlasater in Southern Italy on Sep 26, 2017 at 02:09:32

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 25, 2017 at 18:47:29

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Finding birth information

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Finding birth information

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Castelvetere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hello! I am trying to locate birth information on my great grandfather Bruno Castelvetere. He was born in Ardore in 1893. I believe his father was Guiseppe Castelvetere. But, I have no information about his mother. The story goes that he had many sisters. But, I have not been able to validate that.

If anyone has a suggestion, I would be grateful. Thank you for reading.
Paolo47
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum, Very Happy

I couldn't find anything on line for Ardore. My suggestion is to find a Family History Center near you,

familysearch.org/locat...terlocator

and order the films that contain the records you need.

familysearch.org/searc...%20Library

Hope this helps,
Paul

Castelvetere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your response. I am very new to doing this type of research. When you say that you could not find anything, is that because those years are not uploaded? Or are those records no longer available? I only ask because, I see Castelvetere's on the Ardore records. And it's very confusing.

My great Grandfather was Bruno Castelvetere. And his father was Guiseppe? How can I find out who his mother was? And if he had siblings?

The constant name changing is a challenge as well. In any event, I have located a family research center not far from me. They are open this evening, so I will make an appointment to use their facility. Will they have records outside of my (Buffalo) area? Is it possible they will have birth records from Italy?

Thank you so much for your help! I am hoping to have a rather complete family tree as an Xmas gift. I'm running out of time. The other (Irish) side came together quickly. But, these Castelvetere's are a challenge. And of course this is the line that we are most interested in.
Paolo47
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hello again, Very Happy

This link has many records on line Embarassed
www.calabriaexchange.c...index.html
and there are several researchers on this forum that
may be able to help you, since they have family from Ardore.

Eventually, you will need to visit a center to fill out your tree.
Hopefully, you can get enough new information before Christmas.

Paul

mary
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hello Castelvetere. Oddly enough, I am in the process of transcribing the 1893 births for Ardore. I ordered the film through the FHC to look for my grandmother's oldest brother. When I order a film from Ardore, I photograph the indexes, transcribe them, and send them to Nuccia.

I've taken a look at it. There are four Castelveteres born in 1893. If the Bruno/Giuseppe combination are yours, the order is reversed -- there is a Giuseppe son of Bruno Act #153. Mothers' names are not given in this index.

That's all I can tell you. I usually only photograph the full record pertaining to my ancestors.

I also have the marriage index for that year. If there is anything in there I can look up for you, let me know.

Hope this is of help to you. It would be neat to know if we share a relative in the past. Ardore is a very small place and people married mostly withih its borders. I've discovered three distant cousins through this site.

Hope this is of help to you.

Mary
Castelvetere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

mary wrote:
Hello Castelvetere. Oddly enough, I am in the process of transcribing the 1893 births for Ardore. I ordered the film through the FHC to look for my grandmother's oldest brother. When I order a film from Ardore, I photograph the indexes, transcribe them, and send them to Nuccia.

I've taken a look at it. There are four Castelveteres born in 1893. If the Bruno/Giuseppe combination are yours, the order is reversed -- there is a Giuseppe son of Bruno Act #153. Mothers' names are not given in this index.

That's all I can tell you. I usually only photograph the full record pertaining to my ancestors.

I also have the marriage index for that year. If there is anything in there I can look up for you, let me know.

Hello Mary! Thank you so very much! As I read your response, I am shaking with excitement. Until now, I have hit a brick wall.
I'm sure you are extremely busy, so when ever this can be accomplished I will be greatful. My Great Grandfather's birth date was 8/10/1893. Oddly, his gravestone says 1894. But, that 1893 year is consistent on many other documents. And the August 10 is always consistent. Are there any matches for that date? And if so, is it possible to email me a copy of those records?

Thank you so much! This really means so much to me! I would love to learn more about Ardore. And it would be great to make more connections.

Thank you!

Hope this is of help to you. It would be neat to know if we share a relative in the past. Ardore is a very small place and people married mostly withih its borders. I've discovered three distant cousins through this site.

Hope this is of help to you.

Mary
Castelvetere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

I'm not sure what I did on the last post. So I'm trying again.

Hello Mary! Thank you so very much! As I read your response, I am shaking with excitement. Until now, I have hit a brick wall.
I'm sure you are extremely busy, so when ever this can be accomplished I will be greatful. My Great Grandfather's birth date was 8/10/1893. Oddly, his gravestone says 1894. But, that 1893 year is consistent on many other documents. And the August 10 is always consistent. Are there any matches for that date? And if so, is it possible to email me a copy of those records?

Thank you so much! This really means so much to me! I would love to learn more about Ardore. And it would be great to make more connections.

Thank you
Castelvetere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your help! I am planning on visiting a center. I'm not sure about the tree you speak of. I have an ancestry.com account. Is that tree different? It seems their websites are similar.

This forum is a godsend. Thank you again for your help!

Ver warm regards,
Bridget
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hi - Sorry I am late jumping in but have been a bit under the weather. Mary if you can find this record great - other let me know and I'll see what I can find or offer other options. If my guess is correct, the family you found had another son in 1895 named Leonardo Vincenzo and the father was 35. The mother was Rosa Talladira. So many more records to upload, so little time. Will be on vacation as of the 20th and will definitely be working on adding records for the town.

Also - you you have any info on his wife or children (names, ages?) . Where in the US did he settle? There is a Bruno born to Giuseppe but in 1885.

Calabria Exchange
Castelvetere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hello Nuccia,

Thank you so much for your help. And I hope you are feeling better. It's terrible to be sick this time of year.

My thought is that the Bruno/ Guiseppe combination that Mary found is my match. I think 1885 is too big of a difference in age (8 years). Also, on the manifest, my "Bruno" comes over with his brother Vincenzo. On the names, I am of 2 schools. First, I thought perhaps the names of father and son may have been transcribed. And then, I thought perhaps his name was Guiseppe, but he was called Bruno.

Some details about my great grandfather: he left Ardore in 1902 traveling with his cousin Rosario. They went to Hillsville, Pennsylvania. He returns to Italy, I'm not sure why or when. And, then he returns permenantly in 1910. He comes with a brother Vincenzo and they are both going to brother Rosario in Pennsylvania. Now, the word brother on the manifest may be a mistake. They may be returning to the original cousin. I'm really not sure.
At some point after 1913, Bruno moved to Depew, NY. His compari made the crossing and his family is living in NY. Bruno marries an Irish girl, Mary Ellen Kearney. They have 3 children, Giovanna, Margaret and Joseph. He died 12/26/1965. He went to sleep on Christmas night and did not wake up.

If you have any other information about my family, I would greatly appreciate it. I am obviously new, so I not entirely sure how things are normally done. If possible, can you please email me copies of these records? My real email is bcastlevetere @ hotmail.com.

Ps. Yes, my last name is a bit different than the records you are searching. This is how we ended up.

Thank you again.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Ok so my thoughts are this - Bruno *may* actually be Giuseppe Bruno (or Bruno Maria)and Vincenzo is the Leonardo Vincenzo born in 1895 son of Bruno and Rosa Talladira but we'll wait for Mary if she can confirm. People in Ardore usually went by their middle (or nicknames). My grandfather was also called Bruno but his name was actually Francesco.

I think I found the manifest you're talking about too...Let me see what I can dig up

Calabria Exchange

Last edited by nuccia on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Castelvetere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Wow!

So that we are speaking about the same things, ancestry does not have the complete Ellis Island info.

My crossings are:

8 April 1902 with Rosana (should be Rosario) Castelvetere

5 May1910 with Vincenzo. Both last names Castelveteri

My grandfather was told that he lied about his age when he came over so he could get a job. And if you look closely at these manifests on the second crossing Bruno says he was in the US 2 years 7months prior.

Thank you a million times!
mary
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Hi Bridget and Nuccia. I'm trying to attach the portion of the birth index for 1893. I hope it works. This is all I have. Like Nuccia says it's possible that the names were transposed by the clerk. Also the name that is between the first and last name is the real name.

Also, are you 100% sure of his birth date? -- could it have been Oct. 8? The reason I say this is because my relative was registered on Sept. 1 and his Act # is 133. Your Bruno/Giuseppe Act # is 153 so the Oct. birth seems reasonable. It's also possible that he was really born in August, but registered in October. A whole bunch of my relatives were registered from one to three or four days after they were born -- myself included -- the fathers lied to the clerk. I'll tell you the reason later if you're interested.

I hope this helps. I have a very busy day today, but as I have time I'll try and go through all the records I have and pick out any Castelvetere records I can find for you -- are you interested in them? Perhaps as you dig deeper into your past, they might come in handy.

Nuccia, hope you're feeling better. Enjoy your holiday.

Mary
mary
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

OOPS -- seems I've posted the index twice -- this process still confuses me.

Nuccia, can you remove one -- thanks.

Bridget -- forgot to add, the 1893 film no. from the FHC is 1801700 (but check with them to make sure when/if you order it).

Mary
Castelvetere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding birth information Reply with quote

Mary,

OMG! Thank you! Yes October is certainly possible. And, I would love to know the reason fathers lied. Secrets seem to be the name of the game with this family. ;).

Any Castelvetere records would be most welcome. I'm interested in all of your feedback.

I wonder what Ardore was like that so many people emigrated? Anything you think is of interest, I am absolutely interested in knowing. Thank you again!
  Page 1 of 4All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: