Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from?

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

I believe this is Carmela with husband Angelo Sciarappa living with her mother Anna Tarranti(no) in Boston in 1930. Carmela's age makes her birth about 1900, same approximate birth as the one on the manifest previously posted. Anna is widowed. Carmela married at 14 or about 1914. Lines 25-27. No children

interactive.ancestry.c...bel=Return

Same family in the 1920 census including Carmela's widowed mother Anna. Lines 87-89. No children.

interactive.ancestry.c...sePUB=true

Social Security Death Index shows Carmela's date of birth as 4 Oct 1899; she passed away in Boston in Apr 1966.

Angelo Scirappa's 1910 ship manifest. 2 pages. Line 30.
Last residence and place of birth Melito V(alle) B(onito)--the name was changed to Melito Irpino in 1923.
Leaves mother Rosaria in Melito
Destination Boston MA to join cousin Giannmarco? Ferriero.

interactive.ancestry.c..._1457-0541

Angelo Sciarappa and Carmela Tarantino's marriage 15 Mar 1914

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:N4F2-RZJ

Pellegrino Tarantino's Death Certificate from 7 Jan 1919; parents Raffaele and Elisabetta Martini. Burial Holy Cross Cemetery, Malden.

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:23TZ-PXD

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

Raffaele Tarantino's daughter Anna's 9 Oct 1915 birth. Wife's name Maria DeIorio--I believe the correct surname was Di Lorio.

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:FXC6-K1V

Partial 1914 marriage record for Raffaele and Maria. believe this was a two page record and only the right hand page was copied. Left hand page would have given the groom and bride's names.

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:N4FG-322

Full two page marriage record from Ancestry for Raffaele and Maria.

Marriage took place at Sacred Heart Church, 12 North Square, Boston, the same church where Antonio Valenti and Concetta were married as well as Carmela and Angelo Sciarappa, and Maria and Antonio Rizzo.

Click on the following link and scroll down for a picture and history of the church.

northendwaterfront.com/religion/

Biff

lancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

That's amazing. I don't think anyone knew he was married or had a child. Because nothing was ever said about it.

also, the 1930 ( the one with Carmela her husband and her mom ) census shows that Carmela and Anna arrived in 1909. So even though their names along with my husbands grandmother was lined out on that manifest, i believe they actually sailed on that boat leaving from Naples. This is incredible information.

If you could only figure out where his grandfather was from.
Again,
We thank you so much.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

I'm still searching for Antonio Valenti's birthplace.

The following verifies that Maria Tarantino, wife of Antonio Rizzo, went by Bertha per this 10 Mar 1914 birth record for Mary Grace Rizzo.

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:FXK7-3YZ

Anthony Donato Rizzo WWI Draft Reg Card; born 26 March 1878. Wife Bertha

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:KZNL-D47

Biff

Last edited by Biff83 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
lancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

Yes, there was a cousin Gracie
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

1940 census for Bertha Rizzo, widowed and children Mary (Grace), John, Anthony and Ralph.

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:K4J6-K98

Gosh, looks like I'm able to locate everything except Antonio Valenti's birthplace. I'll keep trying.

Biff

lancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

Remember, all of this information is his grandmothers side of the family. His grandfathers side would be a complete different bloodline. Regardless, what you have found is amazing and very helpful to my husband.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

More information on the Tarantino/Ferreiro line

Maria Elisabetta (Bertha's) 2 page 1911 Boston ship manifest, line 13
Last residence and place of birth, Melito
Leaves uncle Pasquale Sciarappa in Melito
Destination Boston to join father Pellegrino

interactive.ancestry.c...3_172-0772

I should have mentioned this before but on Raffaele's manifest it mentioned he left uncle Carmine Ferriero in Melito.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

Some thoughts on the Valenti line.

The information you provided stated that Antonio's mother was Maria Castagnino. His 1918 marriage document previously posted gave his mother as Maria Carvelli. In doing some checking, the Castagnino and Carvelli surname appear frequently on ship manifests with last residence/place of birth as Petilia Policastro in Calabria. Initially I thought I might be on to something but did not find any Valenti's on ship manifests showing Petilia Policastro/Policastro as last residence.

I did find this 1906 New York ship manifest. Lines 12-15. It's interesting since it contains both the Carvelli and Castagnino surnames. Lorenzo Carvelli travelling with wife Maria and children Antonio, age 5, and Rosaria, age 1. All last residence Policastro. Joining brother in law Domenico Castagnino in West Newton MA. My first thought was that Lorenzo might have died and Maria remarried a Valenti but in checking census records I was able to find this family on a 1930 census.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

Check out the address on Lorenzo Carvelli's WWI Draft Reg Card in 1917--139 Salem Avenue, Boston

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:KZNL-SLB

That's the same address as Antonio Valenti's address on his 1918 marriage to Concetta Tarantino!!

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:KB8S-8H4

Connecting the dots--It's a good guess that Maria Castagnino was married to a Frank/Francesco Valenti in Italy, had a child Antonio--note his age on the manifest indicated he was born about 1901--then remarried Lorenzo Carvelli and emigrated to the states. That would explain the confusion on Maria's surname.

Biff

Last edited by Biff83 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:23 pm; edited 5 times in total
lancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

His grandfathers father died and his mother remarried. I believe her remarried name was carvelli and castagnino was her maiden name. On his grandfathers death certificate it has Francesco valenti as his father. his grandfather had several sisters. Helen who married joseph langone who owned langones funeral in the north end. one sister may be named rose bradanesse and there may be an intraversato last name husband anthony all from boston
lancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

So rose bradanesse is the sister that is on the manifest that came over with him i'm guessing. My husband is pretty sure that his grandfather is the only valenti. he had a brother they called him toots but he thinks his name was salvatore. He does not know if he was born in the us or italy or what his last name was but he died in boston was living on friend st in the mid 1960. So, i'm guessing his grandfather is from Policastro calabria and came over under the name carvelli not valenti
lancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

There is a town called Policastro in the province of salerno. I'm wondering if that could be the town since the boat they sailed from sailed from Naples. Petilia Policastro is much further south. Any thoughts?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

Beginning in the late 19th and into the 20th century the majority of Southern Italians (except those from Sicily)emigrated from the port of Naples. I'm sure that the correct town is Petilia Policastro which at the time was in the province of Catanzaro, region of Calabria.

I'm sure that the Antonio, age 5, listed with the Carvelli family on the manifest is in fact Antonio Valenti. Last residence shows as Petilia Policastro so it is likely he was born there or in a nearby town.

Salvatore Carvelli 21 Jun 1907 Massachusetts birth record

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:FH1B-YS6

Helen (nee Elena) Carvelli Social Security Application
Helen Delores Carvelli
[Helen Langone]
Birth Date: 10 Apr 1919
Birth Place: Boston, Massachusetts
Father Name: Lorenzo Carvelli
Mother Name: Maria Castigino
Death Date: 19 Jan 2003

Rose Carvelli Bradanese Social Security Record
Name: Rose Bradanese
Birth: 15 Feb 1905
Death: 3 Feb 1989 - Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA

Rosa Carvelli Bradanese Naturalization Record

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:XG3C-YZJ

I also located indexed Massachusetts death records which show Lorenzo Carvelli passed in 1935, and Maria in 1941.

Biff

lancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: where in calabria is my husbands grandmother from? Reply with quote

Biff,
My husband and I can't thank you enough. We had no idea where to even begin. The information you found is incredible. You found information that no one ever knew, information that proved stories told, but not sure if true, were true and confirmed information known.
Also, you were able to find where both his grandparents were from.
on our trip to Italy next year both Melito Irpino and Petilia Policastro will be visited. Once again, thank you so very much.
party party party
  Page 2 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: