Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmybarber12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

Subject: family status historian Michael Barbaro and Catherine Calabria

My name is James Barber, writing from the United States of America, I'm conducting genealogical research on my ancestors, and for this I would like to have a state of family history showing all recorded data in your archives about the family of Michael Barbaro and Catherine Calabria that He composed of at least five children (three boys and two girls) for which I point following the data in my possession that certainly will facilitate your search;

• Domenico Rosario Barbaro, presumably born in 11-24-1888 in Bianco/Casignana. He was murdered in Youngstown, OH on October 24, 1924.
• Francesco Barbaro, born in the Casignana 8-8-1896. He wss murdered in Youngstown, OH on OCtober 23, 1925.
• Rocco Michele Barbaro, born in Casignana the 8-16-1900. He was found dead in Sewickley Heights, PA on September 9, 1924.
• Domenica Barbaro, Casignana born between 1886 and 1905. Domenica lived in Casignana in 1955.
• Carmela Barbaro, Casignana born between 1890 and 1905. Carmela was living in Benestare, RC in 1954.
• Caterina (Calabria) Barbaro, born in Santa Cristina D'Aspromonte 1869. Caterina lived in Casignana in 1922 and beyond.

I'm also looking for a record of death on my great-great grandfather, Michael Barbaro who was listed as deceased in 1915, concerning the registration of military Francesco his son. In addition, they are also looking for information on when my great great grandmother, Caterina returned to Reggio Calabria in Italy from America. She arrived in New York, New York on 8 July 1922 according to my records, but I have no info on her return to Italy. She was born in Santa Cristina, Reggio Calabria, Italy in 1869 and I'm interested in who her mother and father were. Any photos that could be located are deeply appreciated.

Also, my great-aunt Carmela Barbaro had a son named Vincenzo who was a police officer in Messina. A daughter named Aola was born by Carmela or Domenica.

Please kindly help me in this search and remain at your disposal for any need or communication about.
Best regards
jimmybarber12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

My main focus is finding out about my great great grandfather, Michele Barbaro who according to his son Francesco's military record has him listed as deceased in 1915. I am also trying to find death records for both he and his wife, Caterina Calabria who resided in Casignana in 1922. She came to America for her son's wedding in June of 1922 but I have no record of her return to Italy. I am looking for any and all records for both of them, marriage, death as well as the names of their parents. Any help would be greatly appreciated. These records will be located in Italy, not America.
jimmybarber12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

Hello, anybody there? Are you able to get any records from Reggio Calabria?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

JB12,

This is not an official Italian records site nor does it offer professional genealogical services. Some records for Casignana are available on microfilm for rental by the LDS.

familysearch.org/searc...%20Library

As are some records from Santa Cristina

familysearch.org/searc...%20Library

If Caterina was born in Santa Cristina, her birth record should be on the film for Nati (births) 1866-1871 and there might be a notation on her birth act which gives the date of her marriage and marriage act number. If she married in her home town, the marriage of Michele and Caterina might be on another film which has the Matrimoni 1872-1910. The atto di matrimonio will include parents' names for both.

You could also write to the towns of Casignana and Santa Cristina asking for a copy of the marriage act. If she was born in 1869 and son Domenico born in 1888, marriage should have occurred 1884-1888 when she was between 14/15-18/19.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
jimmybarber12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

Thank you Biff. How do I place the order for the microfilm, I see no "add to cart" button?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

Before renting microfilm, you'll need to establish an account on Familysearch. Also, you can only view the microfilm at an approved LDS facility so you should determine which facility near you you'd like to have the film shipped to. It's also a good idea to check the hours the facility is open and the availability and quality of microfilm readers.

Here's the link to locating a Family History Center.

familysearch.org/ask/h...alResource

Check to see which one(s) are near you. Hours shown are not always accurate so I'd call to see when the facility is open and how many readers they have available; also, do you need to make a reservation time to use the readers and for how long, are they the type of readers which will allow you to save images to a flash drive.

I know this might sound a little intimidating but I'll continue to give you a hand. Let me know what you find out about the Family History Center near you and we'll take it from there.

Best,
Biff

jimmybarber12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

The microfilm is ordered for the Cape Cod Family History Center. I called there but there is no answer. Do you happen to know the hours? I can't find the hours anywhere. Thanks you Biff
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

I found two locations on Cape Cod on the Familysearch site.

Sturgis Library in Barnstable and Provincetown Library in Provincetown. No hours listed but I did find their individual websites.

www.sturgislibrary.org/

provincetownlibrary.org/

It appears that the Sturgis Library is the an affiliate library. Additional info on the following link.

www.sturgislibrary.org...e-library/

Biff

jimmybarber12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

Does the town of Casignana have anything on microfilm?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

jimmybarber12 wrote:
Does the town of Casignana have anything on microfilm?

I doubt the town would have anything available for rental. Your best bet are the LDS/FHC microfilms which are usually the duplicates of the town's records kept at the provincial level.

Since these are on microfilm you have to scroll to locate the type of act you're looking for--Nati (births), Matrimoni (marriages), Morti (deaths). Each year for each type of act usually will have an alphabetical index at the end of each year which will reference individual birth act numbers.

I'd suggest you study and familiarize yourself with Italian vital records and their extraction using the following links before your film(s) arrive. It's critical that you can read what date a document was from. This is always at the beginning of the record.

Italian Record Extraction--an essential resource
familyhistory.byu.edu/...efault.htm

Videos on Italian Records
familysearch.org/learn...22Italy%22

Italian Occupations
freepages.genealogy.ro...ngocc.html

Biff

jimmybarber12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Michele Barbaro (deceased by 1915) and Caterina Calabria Reply with quote

Thank you Biff
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: