looking for manifest of Sabato Pizzano changed to Pisano
Last post by DaveFerro in Southern Italy on Jul 19, 2017 at 21:29:46

Looking for Vincenzo Contrera
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Jul 10, 2017 at 23:36:16

Locating info on my Italian cousin's death in WWII
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Jul 09, 2017 at 04:06:05

Napolitano - Falzarano, Airola
Last post by goldfreaz in Southern Italy on Jun 15, 2017 at 01:29:50

How do we preserve our Genealogical research for the future?
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Jun 14, 2017 at 23:36:52

Maria Perri
Last post by MikeBarbato in Southern Italy on Jun 14, 2017 at 16:57:18

Lanni Family Sant Elia FR
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on May 31, 2017 at 10:03:19

Vuozzo Surname
Last post by Biff83 in About Us on Apr 29, 2017 at 19:15:44

Translate Do(edited)ent
Last post by Italysearcher in Translations on Apr 17, 2017 at 16:08:33

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Need your advise

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Need your advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Need your advise Reply with quote

I was going through Word documents on my hard drive. In it I found my original notes on what we knew or assumed about our family history for my grandfather's side of the family. I had accurate information for my grandfather's cousin with a few people missing. For my grandfather's family, I had his parent's names and the following:
a brother who went to Argentina with a cousin
a sister ?
a brother named Rudolfo
I forgot all about Rudolfo!! The family story goes like this. My grandfather and grandmother had her mother living with them. Their first born son was named after his father and the first born daughter was named after his mother. The 2nd born son (my dad - always the troublemaker!) was named Rudofo Gian suppossedly after his brother who died in Italy. My nonna's Mom was so mad he was not named after her husband (according to tradition) she would not speak to my poor grandfather for months. Her anger involving this is family legend.
So here is what I need advise on.
I have combed through the state civil records from 1858-1910 and have pulled most Napolitano's from all records. Not a single Rudofo. Not 1 anywhere - not even from other families. I found it unusual that my g grandmother had babies almost every year but during her 7-8 year marriage with my g grandfather there are a few several year gaps. If she had a baby in a neighboring town would the home comune have recorded of it? I know of 2 neighboring towns they did business in.
Am I taking this a little too far? Let me know what you think.

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Cathy, nothing is too far. Sometimes in this genealogy thing we have to be detectives. Here's an example from me...

My great grandmother and great grandfather got married in NYC in 1899. (WOW a story that does NOT involve Carmeloni!) So on the 1910 census it stated 5 children 3 still living. The 3 living were Rose (1903), Anna (1906) and Nancy (1907). Ok, so there must have been 2 children that died during 1900-1910. I could not find anything listed in the IGG at all. It drove me crazy for a long time. Finally, I found the 1900 census for them. It was purely by accident. I happened upon my GGM's niece living in Poukeepsie in 1900 on the census. When I checked the rest of the pages, my GGM and GGF were there also. They were in Poukeepsie from 1900 until 1903. They had two children that were born and died in Poukeepsie. If I didn't keep at it, how would I have known that?

So my advice is to explore it anyway, no matter how far fetched it seems.

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Cathy,

I am just wondering...you may have enough information now to actually make an attempt a write away for the Family Story Certificate...why not give it a try and see what you get? At least this way you will know for sure...
and then you can follow up..

What do you have to lose?

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

I have been on the fence about that. I would love a family story certificate but I hear they are hard to get and my situation is complicated by my great grandmother's second marriage. I do have enough information - I have my great grandmother's birth act and her atto di matrimonio from both marriages and her second husbands birth act. I am waiting for the microfilm with my great grandfather's birth act. My problem is I want family story certificates for both her marriages. If I ask for both, I will probably get nothing from what I hear. I want to find my grandfather's siblings. I know he had 5 surviving 1/2 siblings from her second marriage. I just don't know which family to ask for. Shocked Do you think I could get both? If I ask for her family would they stop when my great grandfather died or keep looking? How would that work? Does anyone know?
Thanks.

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Hi,

I just joined your group a few days ago. I have been doing my family history for just about 5 years. My Dad was born in Italy (Provincia di Bari) as were my Maternal Grandparents (Provincia di Cosenza). I am curious as to whether you are referring to a Scheda di Famiglia or a Stato di Famiglia when you refer to a family story? I was able to obtain one from the Comune di Corato via my cousin who was then living there, but unable to obtain one from San Giorgio Albanese which is a very small village. I am sure it is a lot of work as they must do quite a bit of research to find the data...........thanks, Charlie

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Hi Charlie..

Welcome to the group. Its nice to have you here.

I was referring to the Stato di Famiglia. I was also able to obtain one from Reggio Calabria but I couldn't obtain one from a comune in Cosenza. The clerks in the offices aren't under any obligation to provide these records to us because they do require a lot of work so many comuni won't issue them unless you provide them with as much info as you can. I got lucky...mind you, I had someone intervene on my behalf by actually calling the comune to follow up.

I have family in Cosenza, too as does Biff. Which comune did you write to?

Calabria Exchange
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Hi Nuccia,

My Maternal Grandparents emigrated from Il Comune di San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza which is near Corigliano Calabra and Acri. It is a very small hilltown and I guess that now the population is under 1000 people.....some of my ancestors were Arbereshe and I think there were also some Greeks as well. Most of have lived there for a long time (400 + years), so now I guess they are Italian.

Last year I met two Great Aunts who are still alive (from my Great Grandfather's 2nd marriage at age 70) and living in San Giorgio Albanese; it was quite an experience as my Grandfather died in 1912 at a very young age.....my Mom was only 1 year old. I have just finished re-constructing my Maternal Family Tree (starting with very little data) back to about 1750. I have also met three of my Mom's elderly 1st cousins ... all in their 90s and their families (living in the US) -- first meeting between the American branches since my GF's death.

I am about 1/3 of the way through FHC films for my Paternal family where there are lot of records to review (80 reels of film), but I have been able to trace my direct ancestors back to about 1750 as well. I have tried contacting the Church in SGA (only one) and also the Parish Church and the Chiesa Matrice (Mother Church) in Corato with no success.

I will be happy to help out where I can, as I have learned a lot in doing this and I have been helped by many others along the way.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Charlie that sounds amazing! How long have you been researching your family for? I started researching my family almost 3 years ago and its turned into more then a hobby now.

My future plans are to transcribe the records for my Paternal side and put them online as James has done with www.cariniexchange.com and Cathy is doing with Montalfo Uffugo. Many of the records for my Maternal side are already transcribed online by someone else but I think she gave up at one point so there are many records missing. Cathy and I have talked about picking up where she left off..but thats not in the very near future. My maternal family is from Malito, also in Cosenza.

We're glad to have you here and look forward to your contributions. Its always nice to meet new people.

Oh..and feel free to add your surnames to our surname database. Just post the info anywhere..we'll find it! Very Happy

Calabria Exchange
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Hi Nuccia,

I rented my first FHC Microfilm in December 2002 --- that is when I also had first contact with 1st cousins that I was able to find living in Italy (my Dad left in 1920) along with finding my Mom's 1st cousin living in NW NY state where my Maternal family went to work in the Retsof salt mine....so not quite 5 years ago.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Welcome Charliemis! My grandfather is from Cosenza Province too. In my long search for his ship record (which I have never found) I found a Giuseppe Napolitano's ship record from San Giorgio Albanese. It looks like a charming village. 1750!! How did you get that far back? Does the LDS have the church records too?

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Hi Cathy,

Unfortunately they don't have the Church records only the civil records...I did my family records for San Giorgio Albanese from the year 1809 to about 1912 or so --- I have about 5000 records recorded for all my ancestors and their siblings and extended families ----- if you have a death record from the early years, you can estimate the year of birth based on the age at death (although the age is not always 100% accurate) --- so I found a number of death records which allowed me to go back to 1750....I have tried a few times to gain access to church records but so far no luck. I have an elderly cousin (my Mom's 1st cousin) who lives her Paris --- she went to the Parocchio di San Giorgio Albanese Martire many years ago with her Father (my Grandmother's brother) and they were told all the records were "distrutivo". I don't think they are telling the truth, they just don't want to be bothered. My Great Aunt has a relative from her husband's family who is now one of the Parish priests --- maybe I will have some luck through him. Unfortunately her son was not really into Genealogy, but he was excited to meet me when I went there. He did obtain some docs for me and also gave me data on another one of my Grandfather's sister's family.

In general I think it is very difficult to obtain access to Church records but every once in a while you might find a priest that will be helpful I'm sure.

I was given the same story by the Anagrafe in Corato, but I later was able to get them from another office in the town hall ---- a few little gifts I sent to him opened the floodgates and the last time I went there he gave me 30 Documents (even a few I didn't request) --- my cousin's husband who used to work in the city hall in Foggia couldn't believe what I was given.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

Charliemis - You should check out Jim Bianco's site on Carini, Sicily. Proof positive that it is possible to get church records in Italy! www.cariniexchange.com/
A truly awe inspiring site!

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advise Reply with quote

I agree.Church records are out there but they are hard to get. Catholic priests are pretty strict regarding accessing of those records. Because they are so old and in bad shape, I guess they also don't want them handled too much.

When Denise was in Italy a few months ago, she was allowed to see the records in her Church..white gloves and all. I believe (but don't quote me on this) that the records went as far back as the 1500's.

Calabria Exchange
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: