Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan)

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan)
For help with starting your genealogy research.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

I have recently learned that there were NY State Census taken in years between the US Census......has anyone worked with them?

I have not been successful in locating my Mom's Family in the 1910 US Census when they lived in upstate NY, but maybe they will show up when they were living in Little Italy in Lower Manhattan in the 1915 NY Census.

They had moved to the Philadelphia area by 1920 and I already have this info ---- trying to determine when her brother died (either as an infant in upstate NY or in NYC as a young child)

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

I have never seen the 1915 New York Census. I will check around and see if I can come up with anything. Just remind me if you don't hear from me in a while because I tend to forget things.

Calabria Exchange
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

Charlie

Can you post the given names and possible surname(s). Approximate ages might help too.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

I know about them, but have never seen them. I think there was a 1925, too.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhat Reply with quote

Calogero Prestia
B. ~1888

Isabella Minisci [2nd Marriage; maiden name = Dramis] aka Belina/Lena
B. 1886

Leo B.1907
Carmella B. 1911
Anna B. 1914

address: *12 Roosevelt Street, NYC [Oct. 1913]

* in Little Italy [near Mulberry St., Grande Avenue]

thanks

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

Well Charlie

I'm thinking the reason you can't find them in a New York census is because the kids were born in Pennsylvania. Here is the 1920 census and it has them living in Montegomery county, Noristown, Burrough. Check it out and let me know what you think. I'm going to continue to search for the 1910 census for them.

I hope I understood you right and I hope this helps.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

I believe I've found her parents or a relative living in PA in 1910 still searching for Lena and Calogero (Carl, Charles)

Still looking Lena, Leo and Calogero in PA - 1910

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

Not having much luck right now Charlie I'll search again this weekend and post back for you.

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhat Reply with quote

Thanks Elizabeth,

I know they eventually moved to Norristown prior to the 1920 census, but they were in NYC at least until 1916 when another son was born. My Mom and two older brothers were born in NW NY state.....moving to Manhattan prior to Oct. 1913. My GM came to the USA with her brother in 1904 (through Boston) ---- her parents remained in Italy. I a trying to learn if a brother named Giorgio survived or had died as an infant ---- I don't know how long he lived (B. 1909).

I appreciate your efforts, but the 1915 NYC Census is what I am trying to find.

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

Good morning Charlie.

When I saw on the 1920 census that all the children were born in Pennsylvania (approximate years Leo - 1908, Carmela - 1912, Annie - 1915 and Alphonso - 1917) I was hoping it would give you a new avenue to try, but I guess not.

The census information for 1915 doesn't seem to be available on line yet. I'll be going to my FHC on Wednesday and I'll check to see when they plan to have it on-line. Sorry I couldn't help you.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhattan) Reply with quote

Charlie,

I have been looking around for you as well and judging by what I have read so far, very few of the New York Census have been indexed. Many have been filmed by the LDS and others are available at the New York State library.

But here are some links I have found that may help you a bit: (not sure if you had it or not but it may help someone else if you do)

www.usgennet.org/usa/n...ta/census/

files.usgwarchives.org...nsus/1915/

www.newhorizonsgenealo...census.htm

www.nyc.gov/html/recor...nsus.shtml

www.rootsweb.ancestry....e1915h.htm

www.newyorkfamilyhisto...e&artid=17

Calabria Exchange
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhat Reply with quote

Might there have been a name change by any chance?
I only found these names on an International search engine, but could find no 1915 Census for New York. Maybe - because of WW1 they didn't do one...

Husband
Carmelo lo Presti
Birth: 1847 Naso, Messina, Italy
Christening:
Marriage: About 1872 Of, Naso, Messina, Italy
Death:
Burial:

Wife
Teresa Gianni
Birth: About 1852 Naso, Messina, Italy
Christening:
Marriage: About 1872 Of, Naso, Messina, Italy
Death:
Burial:

Children
1. Calogero lo Presti
Birth: 18 APR 1887 Naso, Messina, Italy
Marriage: 22 FEB 1909 Naso, Messina, Italy

Wife
Marianna Martherita Pizzino Pedigree
Birth: 02 MAR 1891 Naso, Messina, Italy
Christening:
Marriage: 22 FEB 1909 Naso, Messina, Italy
Death:
Burial:

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New York City Census -- 1915 (for Little Italy in Manhat Reply with quote

thanks everyone,

One of the sites Nuccia provided validated that there is a 1915 NY State Census for Manhattan NYC:

New York County: 1855, 1905, 1915, 1925

New York County is the New York City Borough of Manhattan. The 1905 Census for New York County includes the Bronx.

The names are all accurate.......Calogero Prestia, my Mom's stepfather was born in Sciacca Sicilia......I already have Immigration data from Ellis Island and the port of Boston, Birth records for the children (thru 1916), marriage records for my GM's 1st (1906) and 2nd Marriage (1913) ---- and then them appearing in the 1920 US Census in Pennsylvania. I am guessing that the NY State Census is not available at the NARA Facilities? We have one in Philadelphia that I could visit if the data is available there....or maybe the FHC has it too, I need to check that out (one of Nuccia's suggestions might help me find this info).

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: