Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Northern Italy › Gallerani Family

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Gallerani Family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Northern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Good morning,

I am new to this forum and trying find some information on my family. I know they are from Ispra. The family name is Gallerani, they came to the states and settled in the Milford Ma area. Giuseppe Gallerani (born 1859) and his wife Eurelia Tassinari (born about 1869) is as far back as I have gotten. We are connected through marriage to the Tedeschi and Aries families also.

Any help would be appreciated Smile

Thank you

Lucia
autumndivona
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Hi Lucia and welcome. Have you found all you can in Massachusetts vital records? If not, I can help you with that aspect of the research. Smile

Paolo47
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Hello Lucia and Wendy Very Happy

After Wendy locates everything in Mass for you, you might
want to write to Italy for records.

Since Giuseppe was born in 1859 and before 1865, the
Province of Varese would likely have his birth act.
Birth acts provide parents names and dates, but the letter
you send can ask for other records as well.

This site has an email address for Varese....
www.comuni-italiani.it...index.html
and this site will help you construct a letter...
www.circolocalabrese.o...index.asp.

If Eurelia was born in 1869, email the comune Ispra for her birth act.
en.comuni-italiani.it/...index.html

The Province almost always responds to emails. They will tell you how
to send for whatever records you ask for.
They will also tell you what cost is involved. Allow several weeks for a response.
The comune usually does not charge for their services, but they don't always reply to emails. It is worth the effort.
Hope some of this helps,
Paul

Lucia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Wendy - I have been hesitant to contact the Vital Records office because I am not sure of some of the spellings and dates.

Paul - Thanks for the sites! I will use the site you suggested to compose the letter.

Very Happy

Thank you!

Lucia
Lucia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Wendy - After looking at the vital records site I may have to ask you to help.
autumndivona
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

I am a member of NEHGS, which has several online vital records databases, so I'm always happy to assist with research in Massachusetts. That is where I'm from (though I currently live in England), and where my own Italian ancestors decided to settle as well. Smile

The spellings can be tricky at times, but if one variation doesn't work, I try another and soundex searches.

You can also find the Massachusetts vital records transcripts online at FamilySearch.org (as well as some international records). If you prefer to see the actual images, I can locate anything you like via NEHGS and email you an image of the town register for an event.

Hope that helps!

Lucia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

OH that would be so awesome! If it isn't to much to ask I would love to find something on Giuseppe Gallerani and his wife Euralia Tassinari - in particular the names of their parents. I am also related to the Bodios of Milford and would love to find out the names of the children of Giuseppe Bodio and Generosa Tedeschi and their parents names (if possible).
autumndivona
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

In Milford Vital Records to 1850, they just have Euralia Gallerani's birth listed based on her gravestone, but I just wanted to share that she is mentioned there (no image - just a transcription): Eurelia GALLERANI, Eurelia [__], w. of Joseph, __, 1849. G.R.2.

I found the birth of their son, Giuseppe Gallerani in Boston, 25 February 1896. His parents were listed as Giuseppe (a liquor dealer) and Aurelia, living at 88 Merrimac, and both parents' birthplaces listed as Italy. The rest of their children were probably born in that general area (Boston and down in Middlesex County).

In the 1920 Census, I found the family in Holliston, Middlesex County, MA, with Armelia Gallerani, widowed, and born about 1871: familysearch.org/pal:/...1/MXBT-2JJ

I take it you haven't obtained death records on Euralia or Guiseppe from Massachusetts? MA records tend to be pretty thorough and include parents' names, but you're right that spelling can be tricky (heck, the town clerks even make mistakes on simple "all American" names).

I found a Joseph Galernoni who died in Holliston (MA Vital Records, volume 49, page 145) on 11 November 1912 at the age of 53 (born about 1859 in Italy) of a broken neck due to an accident with a running horse (runaway horse? An accident like this could be in a local newspaper - try contacting the Milford Public Library reference librarian to ask about newspapers there - you can usually get articles and obits fairly inexpensively). This will help confirm whether or not this death record for Joseph Galernoni is actually your Joseph Gallerani.

He was buried in St. Mary's Cemetery in Milford, MA on 14 November 1912.

His parents are listed as Leonardo Galernoni and Caterina Gili. The image of the death record is here:

Since Euralia died after 1920, there wouldn't be any online death records for her - online Massachusetts records currently go up to 1915.

As for children of Giuseppe Bodio and Generosa Tedeschi (I grew up in Bridgewater, MA, where there's a Tedeschi's market on the corner), I found none. Do you have an idea of when their children were born? There are several Bodios in Milford, perhaps nieces, nephews or grandchildren.

Hope this little bit helps!

Lucia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Good morning, just thought I would log on real quick this morning. I know the death certificat is correct because I remember stories of this event. The Bodios listed as living in Milford are my family but we are estranged (my father-last name McCallum- was in the military and we never really stayed in touch or went back)

I tried emailing and calling the library but they never responded. I will filter through the rest of the info after work. Thank you Smile
autumndivona
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Perhaps the library is closed for the holiday week or their hours are severely curtailed. It's unfortunate that so many libraries have cut their hours significantly. :/ But hopefully you will get in touch with the reference librarian.

One of my grandparents died in a train accident in Brockton, MA, and not only was there his obituary, but also 2 articles about the event. So this is definitely worth pursuing (both an article about the incident and an obit), since even in 1912 the communities were so small.

My guess is that the Bodio children's births are there (if they occurred anytime in Massachusetts before 1915), but perhaps the names are misspelled. I did try a soundex search for "Bodio", but it brought up 10,000 results. Sounds too much like Boyd, Boone, and other such names. LOL

At least we know that Euralia died after 1920, since she appears in Holliston in the census, aged about 50. Any death record after 1920 should include her parents as well, as long as her children knew their names. I'm glad that I could be of help to you. Smile If you need any more MA Vital Records look-ups, please feel free to ask. Since I'm from MA and most of my ancestors are from there, and New England in general, that's my area of amateur genealogical expertise.

Lucia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallerani Family Reply with quote

Thank you Smile I will try calling the library again after the holidays.
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Northern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: