Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's?

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
population

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

Would appreciate records/information on two families:
Guiseppe Bisceglia B. 1847 in Itlay D. 1926 in Ca. USA Wife: Theresa Fortino Bisceglia B. 1853 in Itlay D. 1927 in Ca. USA
Now, Guiseppe's son and wife also came to America:They were:
Pietro Maria Bisceglia B. 22 Nov. 1874 D. 16 May 1956 in Ca. USA Wife:Rosina Felice Bisceglia B. 29 Mar 1878 in Itlay D. 11 Feb 1957 in Ca. USA
All of these people came directly to Hollister, Ca USA to live and this is where they died. I believe they were from the province of Donnici-this may me misspelled. It was on a ship manifest form form ancestry.com
Perhaps we can help each other on family information records, pictures, or stories!!
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

Hi Population and welcome to the forum.

For reference 1916 manifest for Giuseppe and his wife from Cosenza Italy........going to son Pietro in California. Leaving behind a daughter named Marianna in Cosenza Italy

page 1 - giuseppe and wife - 1916 - going to son Pietro in CA. leaving behind daughter Marianna in Cosenza Italy
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0011

page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0011

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

Welcome to Gente Population!
I have been extracting records from Cosenza Province towns and the names Bisceglia, Felice and Fortino are very familiar to me. Mostly from Montalto Uffugo...I know of some people who descend from a Bisceglia. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
COSENZA EXCHANGE
If you want to have a look you can type your surname in the search bar on the main page and it will give you links to every page that mentions that surname. Once you find the name on the page you can view a copy of the actual record there (in most cases - the site is a work in progress).

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

1920 census for Peter (Pietro) his wife, children and his parents. There are also alot of Felice's listed on the census too. Can you let us know if any of the Felices are relatives (possible siblings) of Pietro's wife?

img385.imageshack.us/i...susbp7.jpg

Regards
Elizabeth

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
population

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

The great great grandfather-Guiseppi Bisceglia's ship manifest said h's birth location was" Domino." My great grandmother came later with children and her ship manifest said her birth location was Donnie. I was wrong with the spelling because I looked on other trees and found the name: Donnici-spelled that way. The spelling was often wrong by the people who recorded. My great aunt was listed as Leonard when her name is: Leonore. Can you figure out the spelling?.

A researcher that used to live in the area named Peggy Conley (she is on the web) said they all came form Consenza, Itlay. She had researched the Felice Family who immigrated and stayed in the Gilroy, Ca. area (about 18 miles) from Hollister, Ca where my ancestors are from.

So, I guess we all misspelled the town or province where they were born.

My cousin emailed me and told me that my grgr grandfather-Guiseppe ahd a small piece of land in Consenza and plowed it with a horse and plow up and down the slopes. They saved their money with the trouble in government at that time and left for a better life in the USA.

I would email the Census forms to you but I do not know how on this thing. Can you tell me how and I will do it for you. I really appreciate what you have done for me and I appreciate Gente di Mare!
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

Population,
Cosenza is a province and I know my own grandfather said he came from Cosenza. He came from the province but not the city. Just a thought...
There are only a few towns that begin with the letter D in Cosenza Province. Domanico, Dipignano and Diamonte.
Also, local dialect pronounces a T like a D. You can view a list of towns located within the province on one of my websites here: www.calabriangenealogy...senza.html
My guess would be Domanico. But that is just a guess.
Another thing to keep in mind is a lot of these people listed their home town as a hamlet, section or village of a town (not the town name itself).
You can upload your census to Image Shack or Photo Bucket. Or you can email me and I can upload it for you.

population

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

What about: Donnici Inferigre or Donnici Superiore?I found these on a map of Itlay. The writer might have just put" Donnici." I don't understand provinces and comunes. Are comunes, towns? You are so nice to help me and I appreciate it!
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

population wrote:
What about: Donnici Inferigre or Donnici Superiore?I found these on a map of Itlay. The writer might have just put" Donnici." I don't understand provinces and comunes. Are comunes, towns? You are so nice to help me and I appreciate it!

Italy is divided in Regioni, each regions is divided in Provincie that take the name after the major town of the Provincia, each Provincia comprises a number of towns=Comuni. A comune is headed by a mayor.
The Provincia of Cosenza, which is part of the Regione Calabria, include several comuni and the largest as well as the most important is Cosenza.

Prior to 1857 Donnici Inferiore and Donnici Superiore were two parts of the town Donnici which had its own Mayor. In 1857 they became hamlets of Cosenza and they are now headed by the mayor of Cosenza. Donnici Superiore was also called Donnici Soprani while Donnici Inferiore was called Donnici Sottano.

I hope I did not confuse you further...

La mia genealogia
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

Italy has towns called comune and within the towns they have hamlets, sections and villages. Some of these hamlets, villages, etc do have their own little town halls and keep their own state civil records as it appears your frazione did. These villiages, hamlets and sections do show up on maps. My grandfather came from a village in Montalto Uffugo called Parantoro. Parantoro, Vaccarizzo and many other sections of Montalto Uffugo show up on maps just like your Donnici does. As I said before Superiore is the name given to the highest hilltop portion of the town where all the "action" would be. Town hall, shops, tailors, etc. would be in that part of town. Inferiore is the section of town below in the valley. If your ancestors ploughed land, this is probably where they were. The valleys of Cosenza have rich lush farmland.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bisceglia, Felice, Fortino Families Left Itlay 1900's? Reply with quote

Sorry Livio - we must have posted at the same time. Embarassed

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: