Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › Memories and Guides › PC Info and Guides › Banned IP and Flood Protection

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Banned IP and Flood Protection
For help with tech support and programs
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but I managed to get my work IP address banned this afternoon. Evidently there's a Flood Protection security feature on the forum which I managed to annoy enough to get banned. Likely due to my refreshing the pages too often. When I try to access the site from work, I get a banned message. Is it possible for one of the admins to unban my work IP? I promise to be good.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Biff,

There is a flood protection feature on the forum. I know Liz got herself banned too from attempting to log onto too many times. If I'm not mistaken though, it was only for a half an hour. Hopefully we can figure this out.

I know on the Irish and Canadian sites this sometimes happens too. I'm almost wondering if the forum needs to be reinstalled. When I contacted the designer he wanted $20 per hour to check out the install and correct any issues that weren't his. Carole does want to contact him to see if he can fix some of these glitches..they are starting to become annoying, aren't they?

We were almost better off at the old forum! Evil or Very Mad

Calabria Exchange
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

A couple of points here if I may....

i. Is it this forum that has banned you Biff? Or is it your company that has put any sites that you access regularly (and that are not connected to you work), that are considered by them as 'illegal access' during working hours? I know that my old company instituted precisely this practice to stop their employees using work time to access non work related info/sites. They in fact banned the employee!

ii. There have been some worrying glitches throughout the installation of our new site, and Nuccia has done her very best to keep you all informed of the problems as and when they arived/appeared and were fixed.

iii. Unfortunately - as I see it - this is a professional site and we should not put our members through any problems like this if they can be avoided. I am trying to convince Nuccia to get the designer to give us a quote for the number of hours that may be required to totally re-install (glitch free) our site. The matter of $20 ph is low on the problems chart from my point of view...if it costs a few bucks then I'll willingly get it done.

What I don't want to see is the destruction, by whatever means, of this wonderful site that is the culmination of Nuccia's dream and many, many hours of hard work, and not a few frustrations at the current situation, by her!

I just won't (can't) let that happen!

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Carole,

I know that I wasn't banned access by my company. What I believe happened is that I refreshed too many times and/or accessed too many pages too quickly. That prompted a Flood Warning which I didn't read but which probably said something like "Slow down or you're gonna get banned" and by ignoring it and trying to access the site again too quickly prompted the banishment of my work IP. I'll be interested to see if the ban was permanent or just temporary but won't know until I get into work tomorrow morning after my doctor's appointment. If I'm strangely silent during the day tomorrow, the likelihood is that my work IP is still banned.

Biff

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

That has happened to me too - although I am more careful now. After I make a post, I keep clicking the back button instead of "home" or another link and that's when I would get the flood protection warning.
Biff, when you do get into work, try to make a post, that way we know you are still banned. We definitely don't want you banned!!!
kiss

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Cathy,

If I am still banned, there will be no way for me to make a post. My work IP will be locked out from even visiting the site. I won't be to work till later in the morning but if you don't see me post something by noon, I'm still toast.

Biff

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

I am attempting a post..still having major PC issues. Cathy will fill you in.

You should be ok tomorrow. Can you tell us how long you were locked out for? I thought the ban was set for 30 minutes or so but I could be wrong.

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Nuccia,

I was banned about 2:30 this afternoon and was unable to log on up to 3:45 the time I left work today. Definitely longer than 30 minutes.

Biff

goganga
Dev
Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

My firewall hides my Operating System and my browser, and I was banned for this reason. Shocked
Absolutely I don't like that this system forces me to show my softwares' versions, but if I don't want to be banned, I must show them. It's very democratic, isn't it? Question

>> Amici Over the Ocean

>>Simona - Redazione CanaleGenoa
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Biff is still banned from the forum at work. I will be emailing him any pertinent posts today as time permits while I am at work.

calabriangirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Hi Everyone..

I am logged in as calabriangirl since I officially no longer have a PC of my own and I don't dare log onto anything in my name.

Carole and I have contacted a few people (and especially the designer) of the forum to see if he can straighten out all the issues with this site. Funny enough, on Jen's computer, the date is showing as 14 7 2007 above each post. Its funny how each computer sees something different and has different issues. I think the best think to do is re install everything and pray a lot.

As for my computer..its fried. I attempted repairing everything and it looked ok but then everything started freezing. Tomoorow a friend will attempt to wipe the hard drive clean and start over. If that doesn't work then I will just have to get a new PC. The one I was using was only 4 months old...

Regardless, I have communicated all the issues as best I can to the designer and I will be contacting the server today as well to make sure its not a problem with them. Funny, we went for the best and look what happened.

I'm sorry about all this but hopefully it can be straightened all out,

Thanks for all the patience and support..I/we appreciate it a lot.

BTW Biff..how did the doctors appointment go?

V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Nuccia,

You know we all love you and Gente, and we'll get by whatever problems might arise. I believe that I was banned through my own stupidity by not paying attention to the warnings rather than through a glitch.

Doctor's appointment went well. Bad cholesterol below 70. Good above 42. But my Triglycerides are through the roof. Since I quit smoking and decided to eat healthy, I've been snacking on yogurt with fruit, fatfree pudding, fresh fruilt like grapes, watermelon and bluberries which has shot my reading up. I just about flipped when he mentioned I had to avoid pasta. I've given up the fruit for low salt V-8 juice. I have no intention of giving up pasta.

Special Thanks to Cathy for keeping me in the loop today.

Best,
Biff

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

PASTA!!! Don't they understand that's like asking you to cut off your right arm!! I hate to give bad advice but I wouldn't give it up either. But, I hope you switch to whole wheat or whole grain pasta. It is healthier.
On another note if anyone else gets the flood protection warning close your web browser and log back in. It worked for me when I got that warning.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

I logged on to my son's computer tonight since I was sort of anxious to see what was happening. I was actually going through withdrawal at one point. Its the first time in months that I really haven't concentrated on the forum for more than a day.

Lou wants to thank you all too. Because I had to find something to occupy my time, I washed the whole street in front of my house, my carpets, watered the lawn, ironed most of the clothes and painted the railing on the porch. He was really nice to me today! lol lol I told him not to get too used to it, though.

Biff..hmm. Interesting. I would also think that if you had maybe whole wheat pasta and maybe only a small portion, it might be ok. You should consult with a nutrientist about it as well.

Lou's doctor told him that he's a text book entry. There is no apparent reason why he had the heart attack since his tests were all normal from the waist up and he is as healthy as a horse. The problem with his legs is a separate issue and should not/did not cause the heart attack. It may however cause him to lose the use of his legs if its not corrected. Wonder how they came up with all the reasons for his heart attack when he was lying in that hospital for four days..makes me wonder,

Going to attempt yet another install on my PC in the morning..starting from scratch and wiping my hard drive clean. We'll see if that helps at all. As for the forum..the designer hasn't emailed us back yet to let us know if he can fix the glitches..hopefully he'll let us know my morning.

Ok, time for bed. I have nothing better to do... Sad

Calabria Exchange
rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Banned IP and Flood Protection Reply with quote

Biff, I tried to clear your Flood Ban. The system should be working for you at this point there were two IP addresses on the date in question that got blocked. I cleared both. Let me know if you are still having problems (I might need you to get your IP address from your service provider if we cannot track this down) ...

BTW, the Flood Blocking feature is still in place.

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: