Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Northern Italy › Surname Collomosse

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Surname Collomosse

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Northern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

I have tried for a long time to find out about my relatives who came from Italy. The family surname is Collomosse. I cannot find any name in Italy spelt like this and I wondered if anybody can help me.
My GG Grandfather came from Italy with his brother at around 1830 he was 9 and his brother was 11. I can find the younger brother in all the UK censuses but nothing from before. Can anybody help me as to the family name and where it hails from so I can then go on to trace my Italian connections. I can even go to the Archives to find his naturalisation papers as we live in the north
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Hi,
you didn't find this surname in Italy because it doesn't exist or it's not spelt that way. I've been trying to find something similar and the closest one is COLLO MUSSO. There is only one person with this name and is in the Piedmont region (Italy NW), Province of Alessandria and the town is Solero. Does any of these words: Piemonte, Alessandria and Solero, sound familiar?
It's a double surname but there is none with this name on ship manifest anyway. Actually there are a lot of people with surname MUSSO.

Regards,

Ada
jeanne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply

I do think that Collomosse is Anglocised . I think that Colamussi is the most likely name that Collomosse is derived from but I just do not know how to go about finding out anything. Would the naturalisation papers tell me anything and how do I go about finding them for my GG Grandfather whos first name was John. What is the Italian equivilant of John, is it Gianni.
If anyone has any ideas I would be extremely grateful
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

It could be Gianni but more than likely it would be Giovanni. Will look to see if I can help here. Meanwhile I hope others might try for you as well.

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

I don't want to rule anything out but have you had a chance to look this census over? Can you post your John's brother census info. It may help.

1871 England Census
about John Collomosse
Name: John Collomosse
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Italy
Civil Parish: Thornhill
Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael
Town: Thornhill
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View Image
Registration district: Dewsbury
Sub registration district: Thornhill
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 39
Household Members:
Name Age
John Collomosse 40
Elizabeth Collomosse 37
John Collomosse 18
Joseph Collomosse 14
Mary Collomosse 11
James Collomosse 9
Emma Collomosse 7
Jane Collomosse 5
Elizabeth Collomosse 3
Allen Collomosse 1

Calabria Exchange
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Hi,
there is a COLAMUSSI Giovanni on ship manifests on 1907 and 1909 but his approx. DOB is 1887. Anyway all Colamussis seem to come from Rutigliano which is in the province of Bari, Apuglia region (South Italy) where the boot shape of Italy makes a heel. Hope this can help.

Ada
jeanne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Hello & Thank you for fast response

I have found all the entries for John Collomosse in the UK census'
but its the part before he came to England.
Where he came from in Italy and with the name spelling not recognised in Italy I am not too sure of the real spelling.

How do I find the naturalisation papers I think they may be in the National Archives in the Uk. I want to be able to trace his family before he came to England but have no idea where in Italy he came from.

I am sorry to sound so incompetant but I am really new and dont know where to start

Thanks for any help Sad
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

For some iunknown reasons I thought you were in Usa that's why I kept on talking about ship manifest. I realized now you are in UK.
Anyway this is the telephon directory of Italy, if you insert the surname Colamussi with all variations where it says "cognome" and click "Cerca" you can see where that family name is more common.

pagine bianche.it

Ada
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

jeanne wrote:
Hello & Thank you for fast response

I have found all the entries for John Collomosse in the UK census'
but its the part before he came to England.
Where he came from in Italy and with the name spelling not recognised in Italy I am not too sure of the real spelling.

How do I find the naturalisation papers I think they may be in the National Archives in the Uk. I want to be able to trace his family before he came to England but have no idea where in Italy he came from.

I am sorry to sound so incompetant but I am really new and dont know where to start

Thanks for any help Sad

You don't sound incompetent at all. The only thing is that unless we can identify who YOUR John was, it will be hard to track where hes from. I would try the Archives, check his naturalization papers and also you may want to check the Register of Passport Applications. He may have applied for a passport (not sure if he ever went back to Italy or traveled elsewhere).

You may want to try Find My Past . You never know if you find something there.

Calabria Exchange
jeanne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Thank you ever so much for your help.
To look in the National Archives do I have to visit. I live in the north of England so I would have to arrange for a short break to do this. Are the naturalisation records on line.

I am going to do my best to find out where he came from and I may find out why he left home with his older brother when they were 8 & 10 years old. The legend is he came only with his older brother but his brother was never heard of again in the UK. He may have died or gone elsewhere.

You are very kind to help me in my quest and once again thank you Confused
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

I got this information from the following site. It starts with the marriage of John Collomosse. Perhaps you can contact the district where he was married and the certificate may tell you where in Italy he came from. I posted all the items that came up (hope it's not overkill).

www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If you are SURE that our transcription(s) below differs from the GRO index, you can submit a correction request by clicking on the Info button to the right of the entry in question.

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1852 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLLOMOSSE John Dewsbury 9b 701

Births Sep 1863 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Emma Dewsbury 9b 555

Births Mar 1868 (>99%)

Collomosse Elizabeth Dewsbury 9b 656

Births Mar 1870 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Alan Dewsbury 9b 660

Births Sep 1872 (>99%)

Collomosse William Henry Dewsbury 9b 696

Marriages Dec 1872 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE John Dewsbury 9b 1074

Births Mar 1873 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Walter Dewsbury 9b 725

Births Mar 1875 (>99%)

Collomosse Amy Dewsbury 9b 704

Marriages Mar 1876 (>99%)

Collomosse Joseph Dewsbury 9b 878

Births Jun 1876 (>99%)

Collomosse Martha Dewsbury 9b 798

Deaths Jun 1877 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Eva 0 Dewsbury 9b 463

Births Sep 1877 (>99%)

Collomosse Roland Dewsbury 9b 770

Births Dec 1877 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Alice Dewsbury 9b 778

Marriages Dec 1884 (>99%)

Collomosse James Dewsbury 9b 1007

Marriages Sep 1885 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Elizabeth Dewsbury 9b 908

Births Dec 1885 (>99%)

Collomosse Herbert Dewsbury 9b 697

Births Mar 1886 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Greenwood Dewsbury 9b 716

Marriages Dec 1886 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Emma Dewsbury 9b 1035

Births Dec 1887 (>99%)

Collomosse Harry Dewsbury 9b 690

Births Dec 1889 (>99%)

Collomosse Bingley Dewsbury 9b 691

Marriages Dec 1889 (>99%)

Collomosse Allan Dewsbury 9b 1095

Deaths Sep 1890 (>99%)

Collomosse Elizabeth 55 Dewsbury 9b 437

Marriages Dec 1890 (>99%)

Collomosse Jane Dewsbury 9b 1167

Births Jun 1891 (>99%)

Collomosse Walter Dewsbury 9b 768

Births Sep 1892 (>99%)

Collomosse Ethel Dewsbury 9b 731
Collomosse Laura Dewsbury 9b 734

Births Dec 1892 (>99%)

Collomosse Janie Dewsbury 9b 706

Births Sep 1894 (>99%)

Collomosse Eva Dewsbury 9b 682

Marriages Sep 1896 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE William Henry Dewsbury 9b 1195

Marriages Dec 1896 (>99%)

Collomosse Martha Dewsbury 9b 1200

Deaths Mar 1897 (>99%)

Collomosse Eva 2 Dewsbury 9b 478

Births Sep 1897 (>99%)

Collomosse Ada Dewsbury 9b 723

Births Dec 1897 (>99%)

Collomosse Edith Dewsbury 9b 688

Births Dec 1899 (>99%)

Collomosse Friend Dewsbury 9b 669

Births Mar 1900 (>99%)

Collomosse Clara Dewsbury 9b 706

Births Jun 1902 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Leonard Dewsbury 9b 708

Marriages Dec 1902 (>99%)

Collomosse Amy Dewsbury 9b 1201

Deaths Mar 1903 (>99%)

Collomosse John 74 Dewsbury 9b 439

Births Sep 1903 (>99%)

Collomosse Bertha Dewsbury 9b 701

Marriages Sep 1904 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Alice Dewsbury 9b 1417

Births Jun 1907 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Ellen Southampton 2c 647
COLLOMOSSE Ellen Dewsbury 9b 647

Marriages Sep 1907 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Herbert Dewsbury 9b 1469

Marriages Jun 1908 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Walter Chorlton 8c 1570

Births Sep 1908 (>99%)

Collomosse Lily Dewsbury 9b 629

Births Mar 1909 (>99%)

Collomosse Allen Dewsbury 9b 598

Deaths Mar 1909 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Allen 39 Dewsbury 9b 506

Births Sep 1910 (99%)

COLLOMOSSE Mary Dewsbury 9b 600

Births Mar 1911 (>99%)

Collomosse John Dewsbury 9b 591

Marriages Mar 1911 (>99%)

Collomosse Willie Dewsbury 9b 774

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page

Marriages Jun 1912 (>99%)

Collomosse Henry Dobson Dewsbury 9b 1281

Births Sep 1912 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Alice Wilcok Dewsbury 9b 1000

Deaths Jun 1913 (>99%)

Collomosse Ethel 21 Dewsbury 9b 800

Deaths Dec 1913 (>99%)

Collomosse Ellen 6 Dewsbury 9b 748

Births Mar 1914 (>99%)

COLLOMOSSE Elsie Dobson Dewsbury 9b 1187

Marriages Dec 1916 (>99%)

Collomosse Janey Almond Dewsbury 9b 1117

Births Mar 1917 (>99%)

Collomosse George Wilcock Dewsbury 9b 855

Marriages Sep 1917 (97%)

Collomosse Ernest Powell Cheadle 6b 515

Marriages Mar 1919 (>99%)

Collomosse Edith Wood Dewsbury 9b 1000

Deaths Jun 1919 (93%)

COLLOMOSSE Lydia 68 Dewsbury 9b 712

Deaths Mar 1922 (>99%)

Collomosse Mary A 51 Dewsbury 9b 927

Births Dec 1922 (99%)

Collomosse Madge Wroe Dewsbury 9b 968

Marriages Jun 1924 (>99%)

Collomosse Clara Fenton Dewsbury 9b 1531

Deaths Sep 1926 (98%)

Collomosse Joseph 70 Dewsbury 9b 557

Marriages Mar 1928 (86%)

COLLOMOSSE Friend Hunt Barnsley 9c 301

Marriages Mar 1929 (>99%)

Collomosse Allen Hinchliffe Dewsbury 9b 943
Collomosse Mary Collier Dewsbury 9b 932

Marriages Mar 1930 (98%)

Collomosse Bertha Kilburn Dewsbury 9b 733

Births Jun 1930 (>99%)

Collomosse Dennis Hunt Dewsbury 9b 880

Births Dec 1933 (26%)

Collomosse Walter Hinchcliffe Dewsbury 9b 687

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
jeanne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Wow that is not overkill for me that is all my families history and yes I knew some of it but cetainly not all. My fathers name is on the list I have never seen that before. That is great my familywill be so pleased
at all this info.

I am going to try and find out where John Collomosse was married and get a copy of the birth certificate.
You have filled me with renewed vigour at finding the life of John before he arrived in England

John married a local girl and lived happily with her for around 45 years. He never went back to Italy and uncles of my father say he spoke very fondly of his native land but they never said why he came over
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Hi Jeanne,

I was hoping that maybe some of the names on the list might be children of the long lost brother of John. I'm glad this was useful. The link I posted can also be used to order the marriage, birth, death etc. certificates and I'm not sure but I think some of them have images attached to them. You have to play with the site and the options a little bit,

Let us know how you're going to proceed and if you might need help. Elba is great with UK records and how to order and I'm sure she'll jump in if you need help.

By the way as far as where John was married.......if you click the link I gave you and put in Collomosse, all record types then hit search .......... you will see that marriage record as the first one. He was married in Dewsbury (as stated) and it gives the volume of the book containing the record etc.. The site does offer help via emails or phone calls so let us know how you make out.

All the best,
Elizabeth

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
jeanne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

Thanks to you and your advice I have already ordered the cert and I saw it on free BMD. Thats my Jonh the one at the top of your list. So now I am waiting for the cert. I did wonder if there was anything I could find by maybe visiting the church where I think he may have married. I do know where he is buried though and I think its the same church.

Got a long way in a short space of time and thats thanks to you lot..

Ill let you know what happens but I have to figure out how to really use the website

Once again thanks so much
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Surname Collomosse Reply with quote

You're so welcome Jeanne everyone here on Gente is glad to help any way they can.

I think it's a great idea to visit the church and see if they may have any records that you can look at.
Please keep us posted on your progress and you may want to also check some of the churches where other Collomosse children were born..........they may belong to John's brother!

Good luck and we're looking forward to hearing the outcome.

All the best
Elizabeth

Page 1 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Northern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: