x
Toggle Content Register or Login  -  September 24, 2017, 8:52 am
Toggle Content User Info
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Where do I begin? on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:41:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Northern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:30:23

Ambrogio Bianchi
Last post by debbiemfit in Central Italy on Jul 31, 2017 at 17:49:19

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agostino

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agostino

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trinitybaez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agostino Reply with quote

I just started doing research on my family's history and started on my father's side because I "thought" I knew more about his side of the family than my mother's, boy was I wrong!

I found a 1930 U.S. census that lists my grandfather as Tony Augustino. I found a WWII registration card that provides a DOB of 11/25/1893, born in Santa Maria, Calabria and unfortunately, that is all I have. I remember hearing that my grandfather changed his name when he came to the U.S. from D'Agostino to Augustine (which is my maiden name), but then I found documents where he states his name as "Augustino", so I'm not sure what his true surname would have been and that's been a roadblock to further research. I'd like to see if I can get his birth certificate or even his baptismal records so that I can find out what his parents names were and where they were born.

I'd appreciate any information anyone might be able to provide.

Trinity
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agost Reply with quote

Hi Trinity and welcome to Gente Very Happy

The more information you can give the easier it will be for everyone to help you. A few questions........what was your grandfathers full name? What was his spouses full name (maiden). Do you know your grandfathers date of birth was? Did your grandparents marry in the USA or in Italy if in the USA where and what year? Where in the USA did your grandfather live (all places), do you know the approximate year he arrived in the USA, did he have any siblings that you know of and did he naturalize?

Did you ever hear any family tales about where your grandfather came from? Did anyone ever say if he had brothers, sisters etc. that came to the USA?

Anything you can think of would be a help. And if you can post the 1930 census that would be great.......if not let us know what town and state the census is from and someone here should be able to post it for you.

Thanks and once again.......WELCOME!!

Very Happy

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agost Reply with quote

Hi,
For sure your ancestor changed his name as Augustine or Augustino are not correct in Italian, while D'Agostino is a very common surname. His first name could have been Antonio or Antonino. I had a look at ship manifests but there are too many Antonio D'Agostino so it's very difficult to decide who's the right one. Also his birth place: Santa Maria, Calabria, will not help much. There is a town called Santa Maria del Cedro (Cosenza province, Calabria) but Santa Maria could very easily be a hamlet of hundred of other towns. So, as Billie said, it will be of much help if you give us all details you know.

Ada

Researching: Agazzone, Beretta, Bertona, Carbonati, Castelletta, Ferrari, Gallo, Guglielmetti, Marchini, Mascagni, Nicolazzi, Nobile, Rossi, Sacco, Tosone - gone to USA from Bogogno, province of Novara, Piedmont, Italy.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agostino Reply with quote

trinitybaez wrote:
I just started doing research on my family's history and started on my father's side because I "thought" I knew more about his side of the family than my mother's, boy was I wrong!

I found a 1930 U.S. census that lists my grandfather as Tony Augustino. I found a WWII registration card that provides a DOB of 11/25/1893, born in Santa Maria, Calabria and unfortunately, that is all I have. I remember hearing that my grandfather changed his name when he came to the U.S. from D'Agostino to Augustine (which is my maiden name), but then I found documents where he states his name as "Augustino", so I'm not sure what his true surname would have been and that's been a roadblock to further research. I'd like to see if I can get his birth certificate or even his baptismal records so that I can find out what his parents names were and where they were born.

I'd appreciate any information anyone might be able to provide.

Trinity
Welcome to Gente Trinity!
D'Agostino is a surname I have seen in my grandfather's town of Montalto Uffugo. Montalto Uffugo has a frasione (similar to a hamlet or neighborhood) called Santa Maria La Castagna which I have seen shortened to La Castagna and Santa Maria. Montalto Uffugo is in Cosenza Province in Calabria. Of course it is possible he came from another Santa Maria, but I think the resources for Cosenza Province I have can help you.
I have 2 websites that may interest you.
Montalto Uffugo.Net will give you information about the town and some of the people. I have not worked much on that site because I have not been happy with the look of it but I am working on a new look now. The other site hosts all the records of the town I have obtained. Cosenza Exchange hosts the Italian civil records as well as church records from Santa Maria La Castagna dating back to 1746!
TheCosenza Archive may be of help to you also. I have all the microfilms of Montalto Uffugo at my family history center so next time I go I will look for the birth act of your Tony (Antonio). His birth act will list his parents names and once you have that, you should be able to trace your ancestry through the marriages on the Cosenza Exchange and the archives. If he was born in Santa Maria La Castagna in Montalto Uffugo, I can find him for you.

BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agost Reply with quote

Just for reference the 1930 census that Trinty is speaking of

A couple of interesting things when you look at it. For Antonio it lists him as coming to the USA in 1916 and his wife coming in 1914. His age is 38 and his wife is 27 ..... his first marriage at the age of 25 and hers at the age of 17.

Original post edited to remove inaccurate information.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente

Last edited by BillieDeKid on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agost Reply with quote

1920 census
Same street as 1930 census
Name: Anthony Dagostino
[Anthony D Agostino]
Home in 1920: East Rutherford, Bergen, New Jersey
Estimated birth year: abt 1894
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1912
Household Members: Name Age
Anthony Dagostino 26
Mary Dagostino 19
Jenaro Dagostino, daughter, 1 7/12 (possible first name Gennara)

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agost Reply with quote

Awesome find Biff! I'll edit my post kiss

trinitybaez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agost Reply with quote

Great, thank you both so much. I don't know much more about him, I was only 3 when he died, but my older brother and sister might have some more information; I'm sure they do since my one brother is close to 15 years older than me. Please ask any questions and I will try and get the answers. I really appreciate your help!

Trinity
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for names of great grandparents Agostino/D'Agost Reply with quote

trinitybaez wrote:
Great, thank you both so much. I don't know much more about him, I was only 3 when he died, but my older brother and sister might have some more information; I'm sure they do since my one brother is close to 15 years older than me. Please ask any questions and I will try and get the answers. I really appreciate your help!

Trinity

BillieDeKid wrote:
1. What was your grandfathers full name?
2. What was his spouses full name (maiden).
3. Do you know your grandfathers exact date of birth was?
4. Did your grandparents marry in the USA or in Italy?
5. Do you know where in Italy or USA (state, town) they married.
6. What year were they married?
7. Where in the USA did your grandfather live (all places)
8. Do you know the approximate year he arrived in the USA
9. Did he have any siblings, if so names and approximate birth years
10. Did he naturalize? If so where and what year
11. Was he in the military?
12. What were the names of his children, what years born and where

Did you ever hear any family tales about where your grandfather came from?

Anything you can think of would be a help.....

Very Happy

Yes asking your siblings would be a good thing and see what they remember or if they have any documents that might give some clues. Let us know what you find out.

Smile

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: