Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Northern Italy › Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Northern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abuelos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Hello

I am desperately trying to find my great grandfather's birth certificate. After searching through family documents available to me and checking in with relatives, I wasn't able to find it. I've tried various internet sites and the Family Search Centre (microfilms). No luck, so I'm turning to you as a final resort.

His name : Gaetano Ferrari
Birth Place and date: Genova. Between September 16th 1866 and July7th 1867.
Parents: Francisco Ferrari - Filomena Ferraroni.
Married to: Vicenta Boccardi
Place of Death: Argentina, September 15th 1960.

It also may be of note that he worked as a farmer (or "jornalero" in Spanish).

I appreciate any help or guidance, thank you.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Welcome to Gente....

Did you actually view all the films from the FHL for Genova for that period?? Since Genova is a larger city, I'm sure there were lots of births for that period. Sometimes they were broken in sections of the city or "Contrada".

Have you tried writing to the City Hall in Genova to request a copy of his birth records??

Could it be possible that he lived in a close-in suburb of Genova and just told people he was from Genova?

What documents (if any) do you have for him? Was he married when he left Italy....Perhaps you can find his wife's records which may help you find his documents.

Since you know his parents names perhaps you can find him that way, locating his siblings first

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Paolo47
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Hello Abuelos and Charlie, Very Happy
Thought I would add an email address to the comune Genova..
gabsindaco @ comune.genova.it

Found at the following web site
en.comuni-italiani.it/...index.html

Write them and ask for the birth act for Gaetano Ferrari.
If he is not from there, they will tell you.

Use this site to construct your letter,
www.circolocalabrese.o.../index.asp

Abuelos, Some good questions from Charlie that you might consider to help you find your great grandfather's birth certificate.

Paul

Abuelos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Thank you both for the detailed responses, much appreciated.

Yes, I reviewed two films given to me by the FHL and, unfortunately, no luck. Do you think there's more information available? If so, please let me know how I can make this specific request.

I have not yet written Genova City Hall as I assumed I would find his birth certificate in the films provided if it existed.

It's very likely he lived in a suburb of Genova as his occupation was a farmer. I was under the impression that anyone born in the area would be registered in the Genova commune. I now realize this is incorrect, thank you. Would you recommend writing to each region?

In terms of documents, I have his death certificate (from Argentina). I strongly believe he was already married, as there is no marriage certificate to be found. So far I've had no luck searching for his wife's documents, I just know when she was born.

Paolo, thank you for providing these links. Extremely helpful. I will move forward and contact the commune using the templated letter.

I'm at a loss, which is why I've turned to this forum for help. Any suggestions as to what my next step should be is much appreciated.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

I found this person living in the Provincia di Genova (not the city).....it may be a "longshot" but maybe it is a relative:

Ferrari Gaetano

16043 Chiavari (GE) Corso Valparaiso, 90

tel: 0185 330808

Using Pagine Bianche:

www.paginebianche.it/index.html

I found 110 listings for the cognome Ferrari in the Provincia di Genova (GE).....analysis of these names might give you a clue to some of the towns where your Gaetano Ferrari might have been born.

Here is a link to the Provincia di Genova:

www.provincia.genova.it/

I hope this may give you some leads.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Abuelos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Thank you Charlie!!
I 'm starting with the comune and with "Gaetano" out of town...We will see...

Maria
Searcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Hi im looking for well you guessed it my great grandfathers birth certificate.
Searcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

My great grandfather was born william Howard Mino in 1891 dec 3 and died in the usa in 1983. His death certificate has his place of birth as Biella italy. I knew him and was almost 16 when he died and love and miss him very much. Please anyone help me if you can. Thanks. CIAO!!!
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Here is a link to the website for the Comune di Biella which is located in the Provincia di Biellla (the province was established in 1992; most likely he came from the city)......you should be able to find a mailing address or email address:

www.comune.biella.it/s...php?splash

You need to write a letter requesting his birth certificate along with as much info as you know about the date of birth (incl parents names if you know them). If you can't write in Italian there are members who will help with translation for you. An alternative is to use microfilm at a Family History Library Center and do the research yourself.:

familysearch.org/locations

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Based on some information I located on Ancestry, I noticed records for your great grandfather with the name of William Hugo Mino who lived in Connecticut. I believe his name was Ugo Mino and this is his ship manifest travelling with his mother and siblings to join his father Albino Mino. Note last residence is Mezzana, a comune in the province of Biella.

www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0021

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Searcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

OMG VIP THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I already love you like a brother or sister! Now i can connect with my relatives in mezzana italia! And yes my father told me we descended fromm a village right outside of biella so you just gave me the missing link. How can i ever repay you VIP? For you cant put a price tag on sentimental things such as this! CIAO PASANO. And thank you explorer for not only having this site but caring about our heritagggge as italians. MAY GOD BLESS YOUR WORK HERE CIAO!!!
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Glad I could have been of some assistance.

I believe your great great grandmother's name based on the 1901 manifest above was Adele or Adela Foglia Para.

Here's your great great grandfather Albino's 1900 ship manifest. Note his destination is Connecticut. I can't make out the name of the person he is joining.

www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0016

Biff

Searcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

WOW! I am amazed on how you found this info. And yes he lived most of his life here and primarily in ct. Thats where he died in glastonbury ct. I have one question vip,i noticed that there are two mezzana's in biella province of italy. Mezzana biella province 3.42 min drive from the town of biella and the other is Mezzana Mortiglieno which is right outside of the town of biella. Which do you think it is? Also how do i find people with my surname in the town of Mezzana? Thanks again you have been so helpful to me more than you could possibly ever know sir. Smile Also my email is bmino67 @ gmail.com im leaving the library in 5 min or so but i can still receive messages on my cellphone limited internet.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

I believe the town is Mezzana Mortiglieno.

Town (Comune) website:

www.comune.mezzanamort.../Home.html

A very small town of only 612 residents (abitanti).

I was able to find only one Mino in the town, interestingly living on Via Mino.
www.paginebianche.it/r...rtigliengo

And three Foglio Para's.
www.paginebianche.it/r...rtigliengo

Biff

uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Biff83 wrote:
Glad I could have been of some assistance.

I believe your great great grandmother's name based on the 1901 manifest above was Adele or Adela Foglia Para.

Here's your great great grandfather Albino's 1900 ship manifest. Note his destination is Connecticut. I can't make out the name of the person he is joining.

www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0016

Biff

The name of the person on ship manifest, that Albino was joining, is Paolo Cerruti. This surname is very very common in the province of Biella.
Just for information I was born in Biella and lived there many years so I know well the area. Mezzana Mortigliengo is a small town on the hills about 10 miles far from Biella. Many residents in the years emigrated from Mezzana Mortigliengo and preferred to reach bigger towns in the plane or go abroad. Mezzana Mortigliengo also includes some "frazioni" which are sort of small villages named after the families living there. One of those "frazioni" is called MINO and I believe Albino was from there. There is a small museum of rural life and old activities in MINO. See here

www.atl.biella.it/en/i.../1674-INTR

Ada

Researching: Agazzone, Beretta, Bertona, Carbonati, Castelletta, Ferrari, Gallo, Guglielmetti, Marchini, Mascagni, Nicolazzi, Nobile, Rossi, Sacco, Tosone - gone to USA from Bogogno, province of Novara, Piedmont, Italy.
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Northern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: