Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Mesiti - Grotteria

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Mesiti - Grotteria

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

1920 census
Name: James (Vincenzo) Mest--if you look closely, it's Mesiti
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 38, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Lucy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1905
Household Members: Name Age
James Mest 46
Lucy Mest 31
Sara Mest, daughter, age 17--okay will the real Saverio/Saveria please stand up?
Mary Mest 13
Joseph Mest 9
Rachael Mest 8
Fredy Mest 5 2/12
Antsey Mest 3 11/12
Sylvia Mest 1 11/12
Janne Mest 0/12

MJ,
I was able to locate the above because you gave your grandfather's name. Now to see if I can find the 1930 census.

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb

Last edited by Biff83 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjmesiti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Never would have thought that Caterina decided to go back to use her first name “Lucy” (Lucia). Also, the switch from Vincenzo to James (and then uses Vincent for my grandfather Fred’s marriage license years later)… gets a little confusing. Sara is definitely the name the family knows, btw… the oldest was always known to be a female, and the only child born in Italy (and that was still alive since we last knew).

One question about your searching technique: I use ancestry.com - unfortunately the search doesn’t let you drill down past the census year… to concentrate on just “Philadelphia” doesn’t work well by using the “location” field.
Are you using a difference resource?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

I'm also using ancestry. When searching for census records, I try to search one year at a time rather than for all census years. I located the 1920 census record searching for first name Fred*, no surname, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, born 1914 + or - 2 years, both parents born in Italy. Then I scrolled through the results looking for possibles. When I found a listing for Fred Mest, parents James and Lucy, I figured I had a hit knowing that Clementina also was Lucia and James is a common Americanization of Vincenzo.

Still looking for 1930.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Is this your grandfather Frederick's 1930 census? Looks like he's working as a carpenter's apprentice.
img686.imageshack.us/i...ti1930.jpg

Name: Frederick Mest
Home in 1930: Warrington, Bucks, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1914
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Race: White
Parents' birthplace: both Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Edward J Cavey 39--last name likely Carey, carpenter
Elizabeth Cavey 38
Frederick Mest 16, laborer for carpenter

Biff

mjmesiti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

I believe so - I found the same record about an hour ago. Smile I about 100% sure it is him. I was told that he lived with another family growing up, and he learned the carpenter trade through his foster? parents. My fathers middle name is Edward, which he is likely named after Edward Cavey/Carey (while his first name James, most likely named after my gr gr grandfather). If you look closely at the original the last name "Mest" could be "Mesti". So now I will be looking for each of the siblings to see where they ended up. I haven't been able to find anything on Vincenzo or Lucy/Clementine - but I am sure that he died in Philadelphia 29 Apr 1954. The archdiocese of Phila has him listed as Vincent Mesi - his grave has Vincent Mesiti written. Thanks again for your help - it is fun to find, my family is surely going to enjoy looking over all of this.
mjmesiti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

In the 1930 census found Pasquale Messi (14) who I think is the "Artsey" or "Patsey" from the 1920 census. In the 1930 census he is a "lodger" along with Sylvus Messi (12) - younger brother "Sylvio", probably. The ages match, born in PA and parents where born in Italy. My grandfather had a brother named Patrick (as he is known), so my guess Pasquale ( "Patsey" ) is the same person. Furthermore, they are boarders in a home in the same general area as Fredrick. Looks like the family was broken up. Still haven't found the older siblings - the girls probably married. The youngest, Jennie seems to have disappared, along with her mother and father. Perhaps some went back to Italy during the Depression. Perhapas the mother died... I do know she died before 1947, since my grandfathers second marriage license states her name as Clementine - deceased.

On another note, from Facebook I discovered that San Donato Di Ninea has a group, so I joined. Someone contacted me who had been a priest there for over 27 years. He has offered to help connect me to my relatives. There are also several Cordasco still living in San Donato. For Mesiti, I will most likely make contacts in Grotteria.

If you find any other facts from 1930, please pass them along. You have been such a great help to me. For years, all of this info has been a mystery to my family. Although many more questions still remain, you have helped me find invaluable information that I am finally able to connect to my ancestry line. Again, thank you.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

mjmesiti wrote:
On another note, from Facebook I discovered that San Donato Di Ninea has a group, so I joined. Someone contacted me who had been a priest there for over 27 years. He has offered to help connect me to my relatives. There are also several Cordasco still living in San Donato. For Mesiti, I will most likely make contacts in Grotteria.

Great news! Please let us know if he connects you with your Cordasco family.

I believe the 1930 census you found is for Frederick's younger brothers, and I agree that the family must have broken up for some reason. Still found nothing on Vincenzo/James and Lucia/Clementina in the 1930 census.

Biff

ermesiti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Help me. Thanks.

Search form my ancestors:

Francesco Mesiti

Filomena Gagliuso (1883(?)-1957)

Childrens:
Vincenzo Mesiti (Grotteria 05-09-1900 - 10-28-1980)
Maria Rosa Mesiti (Grotteria 01-13-1905 - America 03-01-1980)
Giorgio Mesiti (Grotteria 07-27-1908 - Roma 09-06-1944)

Thanks!!!
ermesiti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Anyone?
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Vincenzo Saverio Mesiti birth act (#89)

At the town hall of Grotteria on 9 May 1900 at 9:35 AM appeared Francesco Mesiti, 27, a laborer, son of the deceased Vincenzo, who stated that on the 7th of May at 4:00Pm in a house at Strada Bofia?, from his wife, Filomena Gagliuso, a farmer, daughter of the deceased Saverio, was born a male child whom he gave the name Vincenzo Saverio.

www.antenati.san.benic...ewsIndex=0

Click to open and then click on image to enlarge.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

1899 Marriage Act for Francesco Giuseppe Mesiti and Filomena Caterina Cagliuso. Right hand side, #12.

On 9 Feb 1899 at 9:40 AM at the town hall of Grotteria appeared Francesco Giuseppe Mesiti, 27, a laborer, son the living Vincenzo, a laborer, and Rosa Letteri, a farmer, and Filomena Caterina Cagliuso. 18, a farmer, daughter of the deceases Saverio and Rosa Zavaglia.

Apparently, Francesco's father Vincenzo died sometime between his marriage and the birth of his son Vincenzo Saverio

Biff

Last edited by Biff83 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

1881 birth act for Filomena Caterina Cagliuso

On 23 Oct 1881 at 11:40AM at the town hall appeared Saverio Cagluoso, son of the deceased Giuseppe, 53, a laborer, who stated that at 3:20 PM on the 22 of the current month in a home at Strada Bofia? from his wife Rosa Zavaglia, was born a female child whom he gave the name Caterina Filomena.

Biff

ermesiti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesiti - Grotteria Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you! Fantastic!
  Page 2 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: