Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Staiano and Oliva from Scala

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Staiano and Oliva from Scala

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonymunday59

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

Terry wrote:
Hi Will
I think we might be related in some way. My great grandfather was Antonio Staiano from Scala. He had a son Gaetano Staiano who lived in Southwark, London with a bunch of other Staianos born about the time Rafael was. Ther are a couple of Rafaels but the surnames don't match. There is a Francesco Staiano born in 1888 but I have him listed as being born in London.
Let me know if any of this is of interest to you.
WillUK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

Hi

I have documented and made contact with my Staiano clan and we do not have a Gaetano that I know of. However Rafaele did work with a cousin (we think) who was Antonio. If you look back through this thread you will see another relation of Antonio. For sure Antonio and Rafaele were very close. Giovi and I exchanged photographs of my Rafaele and Maria so we know that it is the correct match.

Pretty spooky though, my grandmother was a Mundey.

I will PM you.

Will
Romano1970
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

Absolutely Amazing.

I am very happy for both of you.

Michael Romano

Researching:

Romano-- Piazza Armerina
Ristango--Piazza Armerina
Nigrelli----Mussomeli
Piazza----Mussomeli

Janet

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

WillUK wrote:
Raphael (this is I believe his spelling but later in the family reproduced as Rafaele, Raffaele etc). Raphael & Maria Custoda are my great grandparents. Both came from Scala. They had eleven children but the names vary from birth certificate to the names known in the family and then also to the names used by the children.

Barbara Agnes b 1899 my Grandmother
Antonio 1901
Joseph 1903
Rafaele 1904
Maria 1908
Michale 1910
Teresina 1913
Alberto 1913
Iolanda 1915 Known as Aunt Hilda
Grazia Lorenzo 1916
Maddelena 1919

These are the registrations I can find based on the maiden name Oliva

According to family notes from my Mother Maria Custoda the children were.

Thomas
Joseph
Rafaele
Michaele
Alberto
Lorenzo
Ulanda
Florence
Madelaine
Maria Custoda - My mothers aunt

Family history says that Raphael moved here just before the 1900 and sold fruit and vegetables from Borough Markets. They lived in the Old Kent Road in a large house and sponsored south londoners who went hop picking in Kent by funding their living costs until they were paid. He also ran a string of snooker halls.

They were interned near Andover for the second world war and on their release returned to Camberwell where Maria died. Raphael returned to Italy to place a memorial in the church at Scala but died en route. His body was returned to England.

My grandmother Barbara Agnes Staiano married Charles henry Pike. Their daughter, Maria Costoda married Leonard Newman making me William Raphael Newman. William Henry Cable Pike was my other Gt Grandfather

Thats my family, is it yours?

Cheers
Janet

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

Hi Will,

I was very interested to read the postings on this website, as my name is Janet, daughter of Yolands Staiano aka Aunt Hilda.
You mum Marie, as we called her, was my cousin. I am not sure if you remember me but our family used to visit your grandmother often in Wickford and often met you and your brother Lenny. The family is as follows:

Raffaele (this is the spelling on my parents wedding cert.)
b. 1870 d. 1947

Maria Custoda Oliva b. 1880 d. 8 Jan 1947

Barbara Agnes (Agnes)
Antonia (Tom)
Jospeph (Joe)
Raphaele (Harry)
Salvatore (Alby)
Maria (Dolly)
Trofimena (Flo)
Michele (Mickey)
Yolanda (Hilda0
Grazio Lorenzo (Laurie)
Maddalena (Madeline)

Raffaele had a few greengrocers shops and I believe a peanut hut where they were one of the first the roast peanuts. He was also a shareholder in Borough Market. They lived in a large house at 457 Lordship Lane, Dulwich. I didn't know they were interred at Andover, do you have any records? Have you ma aged to delve any further back?

I do have a photo of their grave and a memoriam card for Maria which I could forward and a few photos. I can also let you have the spouses names of all of the above and most of their children if you are interested. The last one, Laurie, died last year.

Regards,
Janet
WillUK

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

I have got much of the information on the family from Ang Window, grandaughter of Antonio. As you can see from here I have also been in touch with Giova who was a relative of a different Antonio Staiano, perhaps a cousin of our Raffaele. Her mother met with Raffaele when he returned to Scala and died.

I have quite a bit of information and have sent you a private message with my private email address on it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Will
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

What fascinating reading, about 8 years ago I was putting together a lot of this information, but had trouble with details.

I'm David, son of Raffaele Staiano, (b. 02.03.1929) who was the son of Joseph Staiano (b.13.03.1903) and Emma Simmons. Joe was the 2nd son of Raffaele and Maria Staiano (nee Oliva). He worked in Borough Market selling Fruit and Veg until his death 02.06.1976.

I have a picture from my Grandparents wedding, behind them is Raffaele and Maria Staiano, and I believe it has most of Joseph's siblings in it too. Happy to mail to whoever would like to see it.

From records I have this information
Agnes Staiano b.1899
Antonio Staiano b.13.11.1900 m. Jermina Jerrom
Joseph Staiano b.13.03.1903 m Emma Simmons (my grandparents) (Raffaele and Maria lived in The Grange next door to Antonio Staiano - another large family - both were big houses with servants listed in census)
Salvatore Staiano b 23.02.1906 m. ? Nastri
Maria Staiano b. 04.01.1908
Troffimena Staiano? b.1909 ( Raffaele and Maria lived in Old kent road)
Teresina Staiano b.1913
Iolanda Staiano b.1915
Grazio L Staiano b. 1916
Maddalena Staiano b.27.05.1919
WillUK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

David

I have sent you a Private Message with my email address. We are from the same family and I am in contact with a number of other Staiano descendents. Agnes was my Grandmother

Thanks

Will
anthonymunday59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

Hello
My grandfarther was Antonio Staiano and he was born at Scala in Italy about 1857.
His first wife was Filomena Nastri (I do not know where she was born or where they were married ) they had four children.
Giovanna born 15 Sept. 1884 at Scala, she married Rafael Amato
Gaetano born Sept. 1886 at Southwark London, he Married Kate Eliza Marshall
Francesco born 1888 at Southwark,he married Lizzie Maria Ridley but later lived with Elizabeth Watson (not sure what happen to Lizzie or he married Elizabeth )
Maria Magdalena born 1 Dec. 1889, she married Angelo Michael Vuolo
Maria & Angelo were my grand parents
Filomena Staiano died 1901/2 and Antonio married for the second time
Antonio 2nd wife was Rosina Samarco ( I do not no when or where they married ) they had five children
Salvtore born 1904 Southwark he married Lydia Nastri
Vincenzo born 1905 Southwark he married Mary Tresa Rispoi
Filomenaborn 1907 Southwark she married Erasmo Nin Falco
Annamaria born 1909 Southwark she married Antony De Martino
Luigh born 1912 Southwark married Lil Bryant
There were two other Staiano Families living very near to them and I think they may be related.
If any body out there has any Information would love to hear from you.
Best wishes to all Tony Munday
laurendavies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Lauren and my great grandparents are Joseph and Emma Staiano. David, my mom Terri is your cousin. I don't know if you will come back to this webpage ever, but I would love to see that photograph.

So, I'm trying to go back in my family history as far as possible, but it is very hard to know what information is accurate. From myheritage.com, I got the information that Alfonso and Muzrata Staiano were the parents of Joseph, and connected with that information were most of the names plus of few of Joseph's siblings, which a few of you have listed below. I had not heard of Raffaele and Maria until I came here, and I now know this is accurate after doing further research. There are also mixed results on the names of Joseph's siblings. If anyone can help me go further back than Raffaele and Maria, that would be a great help. Also I can give the information I have currently if that would help anyone else.
WillUK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Staiano and Oliva from Scala Reply with quote

Lauren

I sent you a private message some days ago. On the left of the page at the top - User Info - shows your in box. Click on it to see.

Will
  Page 2 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: