Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Rice Balls
-> Recipes

#16: Re: Rice Balls Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:27 pm
    ----
We called the spagghetti "suco" at least as kids. (probably the same as "sugo") As always, some sugar in the sauce. I understand that if you start from "real scratch" carrots or wine replaces the sugar in the sauce to reduce the acidity. Any way you do it all is great!

lilbees

P.S. Yes, I printed off the recipies to try all. Especially the risotto.

#17: Re: Rice Balls Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:42 pm
    ----
Our sauce always had wine in it (when I was a child it was always homemade wine) and carrots too. A pinch of sugar also went in the sauce.

#18: Re: Rice Balls Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:23 pm
    ----
We had a lot of wine from the grapes that my grandfather grew in the backyard. After he passed away the neighbors made wine from the grapes on his vine and always shared it with my family. I missed out on that but was able to salvage a piece of vine with my cousin which we planted in our yards. Later when I moved to Oregon I took a start with me and it now grows in Oregon as well. Now that I am in Georgia, no starts, Will have to go back and see if I can get new starts.

lilbees

#19: Re: Rice Balls Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:16 pm
    ----
Jen and my mom made rice balls early this morning and I wanted to share their version. It was slightly different and very simple.

Cooked and cooled rice. Italian Rice, not the "Uncle Ben's kind"
2 eggs
2 potatoes
cheese
salt & pepper to taste
mozzarella for the center

Mix well the rice, eggs, mashed potatoes (using a potato ricer), cheese salt and pepper. Roll into a ball. Insert a piece of mozzarella. Close and roll tightly. Then roll in bread crumbs and fry. They were amazing!

In case some of you are like me, and didn't know what a potato ricer was...heres the image!

Last edited by nuccia on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

#20: Re: Rice Balls Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:18 pm
    ----
Got to try this recipie! I have had mashed potato balls but not rice balls. Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

lilbees

-> Recipes