Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: surnames
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: surnames Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:24 pm
    ----
Dattalo - Gibellini, Sicily
Bonanno - Gibellini, Sicily
Gentile - Termini, Sicily
LaBarbera - Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily
Gigliotta - Sawbaro(?) Girgenti, Sicily
Gargano - Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily
Battaglia - Termini, Sicily
Messina - Gibellini, Sicily
Leone - Gibellini, Sicily

#2: Re: surnames Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 am
    ----
John

I'll get these up as soon as I can..I promise!

#3: Re: surnames Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:01 am
    ----
Hey John, my husband's family is from Termini and they are Gentiles. I wonder if there is any connection even though it's a popular name? I haven't done his tree at all but I have several names in several generations.

#4: Re: surnames Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:25 am
    ----
johnlabarbera wrote:
John, to my knowledge a city named Gibellini does not exist in Italy. If you have a document with this city, could you please post it?

#5: Re: surnames Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 am
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
johnlabarbera wrote:
John, to my knowledge a city named Gibellini does not exist in Italy. If you have a document with this city, could you please post it?

I suspect he means Gibellina in the Province of Trapani:

www.comunedigibellina.it/

#6: Re: surnames Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:04 am
    ----
johnlabarbera wrote:
Sawbaro(?) Girgenti, Sicily

I'm stuck on this one. Girgenti is now the province of Agrigento (I believe) but I haven't had any luck with comune that sounds like Sawbaro.

#7: Re: surnames Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:23 am
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
johnlabarbera wrote:

I'm stuck on this one. Girgenti is now the province of Agrigento (I believe) but I haven't had any luck with comune that sounds like Sawbaro.

Try >THIS< list - it often saves a lot of time sorting out a possible bad spelling or mistaken location. If you can find something here it leads you far quicker to the actual comune you want...

#8: Re: surnames Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:28 am
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
johnlabarbera wrote:

I am pretty certain it is supposed to be Sambuca, misread from the manifest as "Sawbura"

Check out the Ellis Island manifest for:

Giorgio Gigliotta, Sawbura, Girgenti, Nov 07, 1910 Line 0017

On the actual record, the town is clearly Sambuca

I'll bet this is his ancestor!

Jim

#9: Re: surnames Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:48 am
    ----
Thank's all!

Jim I believe you're right and Carole - thank you for the link.

Wink

#10: Re: surnames Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:29 pm
    ----
James you are correct that is my great grandfather

#11: Re: surnames Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:37 pm
    ----
Gina, here is what we have on the Gentile family...

My great grandfather Gaetano LaBarbera married Giuseppa Gentile, they were married in New Orleans and that is where she lived and died on 5 Jan 1966.

Her parents were Salvatore Gentile (1861-1920) and Maria Battaglia (1868-1941), both from Termini. Maria brought Giuseppa to the USA when Giuseppa was about 3. I do not have any more info on the Gentile side yet.

Maria Battaglia's parents were Frank Battaglia and Mary Lopresto of Termini, I have no dates or details for them.

#12: Re: surnames Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:39 pm
    ----
Yes you are right Gibellina!

#13: Re: surnames Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:42 pm
    ----
I looked up Termini and it says it actually Termini Imerese I assume this is the same place

#14: Re: surnames Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:12 pm
    ----
Hmmm....John. I'll do some checking on my Gentile's and get back to you. My husband's grandfather was Salvatore named for his grandfather I think. I'll have to find out. I'll let you know.

#15: Re: surnames Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:51 pm
    ----
Oh, my Salvatore had 2 girls, Giuseppa and Maria

-> General Discussion Groups