Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Research in NYC Area
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Research in NYC Area Author: JamesE PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 am
    ----
Hi everyone! Smile I am getting so close but still can't find my great-grandfather's birth record in NYC Sad I searched for his two brothers as well but nothing..! Could they be in a church somewhere?

Also I am wondering about property, etc. records. I have their addresses from where they lived in the 1890s and early 1900s. If I could have a picture of the residence that would be great, or any records available would also help! Where can I look? I think I have already been everywhere on ancestry.com..

Thanks!

#2: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:38 am
    ----
Interesting article for one of your addresses - 308 Mott St. This is an article from the 1881 NY Times

query.nytimes.com/mem/...ref=slogin

#3: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:13 am
    ----
1911 map for 308 mott st.
www.bklyn-genealogy-in....1911.html

this is printable and if you look at a modern map of 308 Mott St. you will be ablet to see it on this map. You can also enlarge it on your screen.

#4: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:17 am
    ----
1874 map of 308 Mott St.
www.bklyn-genealogy-in...Lain1.html

#5: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:29 am
    ----
1891 in 4 sections - very nice map. Will show you both address - 308 Mott and 113th St.
www.bklyn-genealogy-in....Main.html

You'll need to click on each link to get each section.

#6: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:43 pm
    ----
Elizabeth, such wonderful information. I could use some info like that for Chicago. Have not found any at this time.

lilbees

#7: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:47 pm
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Elizabeth, such wonderful information. I could use some info like that for Chicago. Have not found any at this time.

lilbees

I'll see what I can find for you and start a new thread.

#8: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:49 pm
    ----
Elizabeth, thank you. The streets I am interested in are Hinch Street and Reese Street. I have to check the address for each of these and post them later.

Thanks again
lilbees

#9: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:54 pm
    ----
Hi, James,

Go here: to purchase tax photos of properties in NYC

www.nyc.gov/html/recor...home.shtml

Now if the building is still standing, I have also found pictures of NYC properties at www.propertyshark.com

Bingo: Here it is at property shark: www.propertyshark.com/...0-0034.jpg

www.propertyshark.com/...opkey=6544

It looks like an old building so, you are in luck!

If you are looking for pre 1910 birth records in NYC, sometimes they do not exist because births were not always filed with the city. I can't find my grandmother's and I am 100 percent certain she was born in NYC. When my gm was alive, she used her baptism cert. as proof of her birth. Try the Old St. Patrick's Cathedral for the baptism records. That is the church for the neighborhood you are looking for (or at least one of them). If you can't find pictures of your particular address, I have some pictures of a building on Mott in my personal collection, if you want a flavor of the area.

Last edited by Poipu04 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

#10: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:57 pm
    ----
www.nyc.gov/html/recor...irth.shtml

See the FAQ'a on the bottom, approximately 25% of the births pre 1910 were not reported to the City. Also check out www.nypl.org, browse through the digital collection for Mott St. Maybe you will get lucky.

#11: Re: Research in NYC Area Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:10 pm
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Elizabeth, thank you. The streets I am interested in are Hinch Street and Reese Street. I have to check the address for each of these and post them later.

Thanks again
lilbees

I've have some great maps for you, let me know the street addresses and what year your family arrived there. I'll post a map for those years (or as close as I can get). Start a new thread with your street names and address so we don't confuse James thread. Wink

-> General Discussion Groups