Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Italian Jewish genealogy
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Italian Jewish genealogy Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:27 pm
    ----
I recently received an email regarding Jewish people in Italy. The writer was asking me if I had come across documents that refer to the presence of Jewish people in Montalto Uffugo. I had forgotten that Montalto Uffugo was a center for the Jewish people in the 1600's/1700's. That reminded me that my surname, Napolitano, was orginally (from what my father was told by the Italian Consulate in Chicago) assigned to Jews in Naples centuries ago. Does anyone have a clue where I can go to find more out about this? I doubt I will find much out about the Jewish people in Montalto Uffugo in english on the internet, but perhaps something is out there that can help me learn more about the presence of the Jewish people in Calabria? Has anyone here ever looked into this? Thanks.

#2: Re: Italian Jewish genealogy Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:36 pm
    ----
Cathy, go to this website. You do need to register but it is a free site.

www.jewishgen.org/

It has been a great site for my albanian side of my family but it can help you with information about the Italian Jews.

lilbees

#3: Re: Italian Jewish genealogy Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:54 pm
    ----
Thanks. I checked it out and found some information. I have been there before but forgot all the great info they have there. I'll keep looking.

-> General Discussion Groups