Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: News Items from Italy!
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: News Items from Italy! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:58 pm
    ----
Each time I pick up an interesting news item on ANSA I'll post it on this thread for you all - if that' OK with everyone....

giornale

I thought this article was interesting.

>1908 - Messina Earthquake Update<

Last edited by Carole on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:05 pm
    ----
Carole, why don't you make it a sticky then so we can find it easily?

#3: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: VincenzaLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm
    ----
Wow, Carole that's a interesting article.
Thanks for posting it.

Vincenza

#4: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:27 am
    ----
Most of my Father-in-Law's Italian based family died in the Messina Earthquake (his Grandparents and other families members who did not emigrate to the US) --- they were from Spadafora which was a small fishing village in the provincia di Messina. Earthquakes are a pretty regular occurence in Italy ---- I recently heard that there is a fault line along the entire length of the Adriatic Sea.......the following link lists many eruptions and earthquakes throughout Italy's history ---- this site is very interesting:

www.researchitaly.us/h...italy.html

#5: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:40 am
    ----
That is very sad to hear charliemis. But you are right - most of Italy is an earthquake zone, though the south and the north eastern Dolomite area (top end of the Adriatic) seem to be more prone to these.

Even in Milan, where I lived for a number of years before moving to the Valtellina, I felt numerous 'tremors'. The latest was in December 2004, just before midnight I felt my bed begin to shake, put my feet on the floor and that was shaking too. We evacuated the apartment immediately and sat, out of the cold, in our cars until the all safe was given over the local radio. It was very scary for the young who had never felt a 'tremor' before. But it was a pretty big one...it was 5.8 on the Richter Scale and lasted 23 seconds which seemed like a lifetime!

Thankyou for posting that link - it's got some really interesting information on it.

#6: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:56 pm
    ----
aaaaah - bless! How sweet.... kiss

>Smile - he must be nice!<

#7: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 pm
    ----
The great anti-fascist Gaetano Salvemini lost his wife, sister and five children in the Messina earthquake of 1908.

#8: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:34 am
    ----
I thought this news item might make you smile giornale

Only in Italy could they do something like this Rolling Eyes ...

Having said that I will make no further comment except to say....

>DON'T LAUGH - THIS IS SERIOUS!<

#9: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:57 am
    ----
I'm sorry..but how can you help not laughing?

lol lol lol

#10: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 am
    ----
It is a good thing baseball is not popular in Italy...if you have ever looked at the "adjusting" on the picther's mound. LOL.

#11: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:09 pm
    ----
I thought this news item might interest you....
giornale

>IS THE WORM FINALLY TURNING AGAINST 'THE MOB'?<

#12: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:19 pm
    ----
charliemis wrote:
Most of my Father-in-Law's Italian based family died in the Messina Earthquake (his Grandparents and other families members who did not emigrate to the US) --- they were from Spadafora which was a small fishing village in the provincia di Messina.

My Bianco ancestors (paternal line) were also in Spadafora, though it doesn't look like they stayed long.

Here is some of my info:

My Bianco Ancestry

#13: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:42 pm
    ----
I think the family was there for a long time with the earliest record that has been found so far back to about 1750. I don't know if later generations stayed in Spadafora or moved into the city of Messina from the province. The surnames were Lisi, Arena, Schipelliti, Spadora, LaMacchia, Aloi and DiStefano. As far as we know all the family who remained there died in the Earthquake, although I have recently read there was Tsunami that caused a lot of the deaths.

#14: Calabrian Shipwrecks Reveal History Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 am
    ----
Thought you may find this interesting as it is all about the sea around Calabria and what treasures it has held for many years!

Calabrian Shipwrecks Reveal History

#15: Re: News Items from Italy! Author: Tiger965Location: Melbourne ,Florida PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:34 pm
    ----
I don't know much on Messina and haven't had the chance to read Carole's article, it wouldn't open for me tonight. I can't wait to see it. My Great Grandmother and her family came from there and I would love to learn more about Messina. I hope to find microfilms to research them and her part of Sicily Smile kiss ~ Rita

-> General Discussion Groups