Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help Please
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Help Please Author: VincenzaLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:46 pm
    ----
On ellis island when you are view the ship manifest. What does it mean with the all the number above the name. Look at (0004. Longo, Giuseppe M 32y M Italy, Soitalian Fontechiari Caserta)

Does any one know. I hope I copy and paste this right.

www.ellisisland.org/se...3278050245

Maola, Giacinto Apr 14, 1920 Naples -
previous next

Original page

Manifest for Patria
Sailing from Naples

Name Gender Age Married Ethnicity Place of Residence

0001. Maola, Giacinto M 18y S Italy, Soitalian Vicalvi Caserta, Italy
0002. DiCarlo, Domenico M 15y S Italy, Soitalian Fontechiari Caserta, Italy
0003. DiCocco, Gaetano M 34y M Italy, Soitalian Fontechiari Caserta, Italy
0004. Longo, Giuseppe M 32y M Italy, Soitalian Fontechiari Caserta

#2: Re: Help Please Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:27 pm
    ----
Vincenza..

Looks like it could be a naturalization number and date. Or a passport number...I need to find the Ellis island manifest marking pages.

Sometimes when people traveled without their passports, they confirmed their status in the US through the naturalization numbers or passport numbers and noted them on the manifests of the previous trips. There are other reasons why they made the notations..I don't remember them all.

Let me see if I can find that link for you.

#3: Re: Help Please Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 pm
    ----
Check these pages out...more pages by Steve Morse. Bookmark them since they are wonderful resource guides.

www.jewishgen.org/info...ests/name/

Heres a page I started putting together a while ago with some site I found very helpful. Its in no way complete but then my time has been so limited lately. I promise to update it one day..

nuccia.salvati.googlep...arewebpage

-> Where do I begin?