Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: WEBSITE --- Penny Postcards --- Rootsweb
-> Resource Pages

#1: WEBSITE --- Penny Postcards --- Rootsweb Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:09 pm
    ----
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/ppcs/ppcs.html

This site has old postcards that can be selected by state and county

#2: Re: WEBSITE --- Penny Postcards --- Rootsweb Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:08 pm
    ----
Nice site Charlie!

Thanks...

#3: Re: WEBSITE --- Penny Postcards --- Rootsweb Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 am
    ----
Thanks too for the link. Already sent them one of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Station that used to be near here. Also will alert friends and the curator at the Cayuga County Museum to see if she wants to send some of their collection.

A local printer put out a book of postcards loaned by local collectors. My aunts and uncle and mom recount all the places now gone.

You might like Tom Tryniski's site, Old Fulton NY Post Cards which besides the postcards, has a search section of over 6 million local (central NYS) newspapers that he scanned from bound copies at the libraries. You can listen to an old radio program while you do so; this time it is The Great Gildersleeve. Other times, Amos and Andy or Jack Benny.

Dave

#4: Re: WEBSITE --- Penny Postcards --- Rootsweb Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 pm
    ----
Hi Dave!

Nice to see you again. Thanks for the link. I am just going through it now.

#5: Re: WEBSITE --- Penny Postcards --- Rootsweb Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:24 am
    ----
That site is funny but also valuable when looking for immigrants in the Central New York area. We have found a few references to our family and I used it to find the "real" surname of my foster dad, as there was an incident he told me about in our neighborhood, a fireworks explosion next door to his parents' house when his mother was pregnant with him. Articles about that show the name as Bassillo, not Basile. Still no listing on the census, but with the address, I found it by browsing, except the name was now Basilo. Still looking.

Tom's site also has a browse feature where all the newspapers are shown in microfiche format.

You also might like Lehigh Valley Railroad that has many photos of stations, engines etc on that system. I sent a jpeg of the station that was here. It was my mom's postcard and she got it from her father. I had to ask them to credit them as well and they obliged.

Lehigh Valley bought the route from the local Auburn company and extended it to North Fair Haven on Lake Ontario (I think in 1875). They built a big loading dock and pier out into the lake to fill ships with coal from the fields in Pennsylvania. Much went to Canada. Turns out some of our relatives were down in Hazle Town (Hazleton now) mining the stuff.

The book by Robert Archer is loaded with pictures and history.

Dave

-> Resource Pages