Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Translation/Deciphering Handwriting
-> Translations

#1: Translation/Deciphering Handwriting Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 am
    ----
After many months I finally received the Lista di Leva entry for my Maternal Grandfather Rosario Minisci. We don't know very much about him since he died when my Mom was just 1 year old. I would really appreciate some help in translating and more importantly deciphering the handwriting ----- he was born in San Giorgio Albanese (distretto di Rossano), Provincia di Cosenza, Regione di Calabria.

Mille Grazie

PS There should be two attachments: Heading and Details of the entry (Note -- only second half of the document which is a full size ledger page - 17"X25")

#2: Re: Translation/Deciphering Handwriting Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 am
    ----
PRIMA COLONNA:

Statura metri: 1,72
Capelli: colore castano
Capelli: forma lisci
Occhi: celesti
Colorito: roseo
Dentatura: sana
Segni particolari: piccola cicatrice mano sinistra [not sure 100%]
Circonferenza toracica: 0,82

Prova a postarla NON ridimensionata, perché la seconda colonna è molto difficile da leggere.

Ciao
Luca

#3: Re: Translation/Deciphering Handwriting Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 am
    ----
Thanks Luca,

I truly appreciate your immediate response to my request for help.

Would Celestial eyes mean they were blue (that would be a big surprise) ---- I have attempted to enlarge and also tried to adjust the brightness and focus on the details, but the photocopy I received from the Minestero per i Beni e Le Attivita Culturali was not very clear

#4: Re: Translation/Deciphering Handwriting Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:08 pm
    ----
charliemis wrote:
Thanks Luca,

I truly appreciate your immediate response to my request for help.

Would Celestial eyes mean they were blue (that would be a big surprise) ---- I have attempted to enlarge and also tried to adjust the brightness and focus on the details, but the photocopy I received from the Minestero per i Beni e Le Attivita Culturali was not very clear
Charlie - blue eyes should not surprise you in an Abereshe comune. Many of the Abereshe had blue eyes and fair skin and/or hair.
Congrats on the Lista di leva!!!

#5: Re: Translation/Deciphering Handwriting Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:51 pm
    ----
PROVO una trascrizione, ma NON sono sicuro della mia interpretazione:

"Rimandato alla futura leva per xxx debolezza di costutuzione [Nota: questo potrebbe essere confermato dagli 82 cm. di circonferenza toracica], xxx cranica dell'occhio destro e cardiospasmo. [segue articolo di legge che giustifica il rinvio della leva al risultato di una ulteriore e futura visita militare]

Se non riesci a comprendere il senso delle mie parole provo con l'Inglese Wink

Ciao
Luca

#6: Re: Translation/Deciphering Handwriting Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
Thanks Again Luca,

The information about his heart is most likely very accurate as he died of a heart problem at age 34 ---- he did not seem to very a very large man at 5'6" with a small 32" chest, so maybe he was in poor health.

There was only one photo of him in the family and this was somehow lost when my Mom's house was sold. My Great Grandfather was not a large man either (there are a number of pictures of him and other family members), so perhaps my GF had a similar build as his Father.

-> Translations