Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: No sound
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: No sound Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:34 pm
    ----
Can anyone come up with a solution to my problem please. I have almost no sound (the sound is very very faint) when I try to play Y tube or any of my folders in my music folder.
It is not on mute. I have gone into the control panel and into the 'sound' folder and on the first panel the pointer is at low when I move it to high and then say OK it just goes back to low again. No matter what variation I try this pointer always returns to 'low' any idea what I'm doing wrong ?
Emmy neclord

#2: Re: No sound Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:00 pm
    ----
emmy..what operating system are you using? I had this problem with VISTA and my new headset.

#3: Re: No sound Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:55 am
    ----
I've got windows XP and I havent installed anything new except a new usb port. All it says on the speakers and the box where its all connected is 'Cambridge Soundworks' no other information is available.
Emmy

#4: Re: No sound Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:20 am
    ----
Emmy wrote:
I've got windows XP and I havent installed anything new except a new usb port. All it says on the speakers and the box where its all connected is 'Cambridge Soundworks' no other information is available.
Emmy

Just a thought Emmy - when you adjust the slider for the volume and click OK and it then returns to where it was before - before you click on OK did you click on 'APPLY' first.... controls like this usually have the Apply, followed by the OK!

#5: Re: No sound Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:52 am
    ----
Have already tried that too Carole and it makes no difference, but thanks for trying to help
Emmy

#6: Re: No sound Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:50 pm
    ----
Hi Emmy

Go to control panel and select sounds and audio. Check to make sure mute is not selected next select speaker volume you will see a selection for restore defaults.....select that and then apply (if applicable) then ok. Reboot and see if that fixes it.

#7: Re: No sound Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:56 pm
    ----
My solution is this...

1. Unplug the PC
2. Open front door and check for children, pets, etc.
3. Throw PC into oncoming traffic like this: neclord

You will never have to worry about sound again! Trust me on this one. hide

#8: Re: No sound Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:11 pm
    ----
Hi Elizabeth
I've tried that before too and when I move the pointer to high when I choose apply then ok they still go back to low GGrrr!!! neclord neclord neclord

Nuccia I think you have hit 'the nail on the head' Maybe I'll just take a hammer and give everything a bash or shout a few choice words at this ???!!-- neclord and maybe then it will shout back at me.
Wink Maybe this is a Scottish computer and doesnt like listening to Italian songs Wink GGrrr
Thanks to everyone for trying to help this frustrated old wifie!!
Emmy

#9: Re: No sound Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:45 pm
    ----
Check the volume on any software you have installed that controls volume ... ie. Windows Media Player, PowerDVD.

Sometimes they interact with the volume control in XP.

Also check Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices | Volume and Audio Tabs ... and check (Volume | Speaker Settings | Advanced) that your speaker arrangement is selected - Desktop stereo speakers?

#10: Re: No sound Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm
    ----
Thanks Bob
I've checked all that but the indicators re the volume settings just keep sliding back to 'low' no matter what combination I try.
I went into control panel then to 'sounds Audio Device Programmes then into sounds.
It has a 'box' there that says 'sound scheme' and at the moment there is nothing written in this box- its coloured blue but there is a drop down choice of either 'no sounds' or 'windows default' should this have 'windows default' in this box?
Be grateful for advice on this Just dont want to try it just in case I lose the sound on my Skype neclord
Emmy

#11: Re: No sound Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:33 pm
    ----
This might sound silly, but why not try uninstalling and reinstalling Flash Player? Something like this happened to me and I went nuts but I went through the home page and tried a few things and was finally able to get sound.

www.adobe.com/shockwav...kwaveFlash

Or even try doing a syste restore to a date when it was working. That might help.

-> PC Info and Guides