Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: can someone tell me what year this photo is
-> Photo Swap and Fix It Shop

#16: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:03 am
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
I found this in one search on the internet: "Four Common Kodak Brandings

* If the back of a photo has the printing 'Velox,' the photo dates circa 1940s-50s.

* If the back of the photo has the three line printing 'Kodak/Velox/Paper,' the photo dates circa 1950s-60s.

* The printing 'A Kodak Paper' was commonly used in the 1960s and early 1970s."

Source: www.cycleback.com/phot...tamps.html

Lori,
WOW - what an informative article (link) ...I never realised (or imagined) that such information existed. You've really got my curiosity 'on the boil' now and I shall be combing through giornale the photos I have that just 'might' give me some more clues about my 'Nina' - especially the one of my mother aged about 14 months!

#17: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:11 am
    ----
But look at the stlye in the 1880's example. The flat top hat in black. Summer wear dictated white. The 1920's hats are summer wear or the old straw summer hat where in the original photo the hats are felt appearing not straw.

lilbees

#18: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 am
    ----
Here is another source for the Velox dating: "Colleen also describes methods of dating photographs. Many people have long compared the clothing and hairstyles of the people in the photograph against the fashions that were popular in the late 1800s to early 1900s. However, Colleen Fitzpatrick also tells how to determine age from the type of photography paper used. For instance, anything labeled as VELOX photographic paper was from the 1920s or later, although no later than the mid 1950s." The Colleen referred to is Colleen Fitzpatrick, that author of Forensic Genealogy, that I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.

So this source puts us at an earlier date: the 1920s but no later than the 1950's. I would go by Colleen's dating, IMHO.

source: eogn.typepad.com/eastm...eneal.html

#19: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:16 am
    ----
lilbees wrote:
But look at the stlye in the 1880's example. The flat top hat in black. Summer wear dictated white. The 1920's hats are summer wear or the old straw summer hat where in the original photo the hats are felt appearing not straw.

lilbees

I'm sorry lilbees, but I saw them as the 'classic' straw boater hat. I really didn't think they looked like felt hats.

I can't disagree with what you say about the 1880 example I posted - you are right..those are not summer hats. But I used that to demonstrate a contrast for the suit styles and not the hats. (perhaps I should have made that clear - I'm sorry!) But IMHO the suits in Stevens photo (and the straw boaters) clearly indicate the mid 20's to early 30's in male fashions.

#20: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:53 am
    ----
Confused Confused

I'll concede to what you said. Wink

This has been an interesting discussion and a learning experience.

Thank you

lilbees

#21: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:28 pm
    ----
thank you all for your help, its greatly appreciated

#22: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:49 am
    ----
I found this that might also help you and anyone who is interested in dating old pictures ..

www.familytreemagazine...tohelp.htm

#23: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:33 am
    ----
Now that IS interesting... I might even try sending the 'only' photo I have of Nina... the Guides Uniform my mother is wearing might be rcognised! Or someone may even recognise Nina herself... wouldn't that be something!

Thank you Nuccia. kiss

#24: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:34 am
    ----
As usual, Nuccia has come up with a good idea for identifying photos. The link you provided can be very helpful not only for me but for anyone trying to work with old photos.

A big thank you again.

lilbees

#25: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:04 pm
    ----
Oh I am so glad that the link might help some of you! Please keep us posted on the results if you chose to submit your old photos.

-> Photo Swap and Fix It Shop