Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Marriage document question
-> Translations

#1: Marriage document question Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:11 pm
    ----
About the 6th/7th line down it is giving the name of the bride's father 'Antonio Fionda' di professione 'contadino' then it has domiciliato ???? this next part I think is saying that Antonio is dead. Unfortunately its a very poor copy but I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Emmy

p.s. perhaps the image is a bit clearer on my previous post 'Need Help with a place name' its the same document.

(edited to add p.s.)

#2: Re: Marriage document question Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:39 pm
    ----
It's nearly impossible to read! Sorry Crying or Very sad

Luca

#3: Re: Marriage document question Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:03 pm
    ----
This was the previous posting of the same documant that Emmy mentions... this one is a bit darker - maybe too dark... does anyone know how to 'lighten' it a bit while leaving it fairly distinct?

[img][/img]

#4: Re: Marriage document question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:33 pm
    ----
Is this any better?
i163.photobucket.com/a...433qr2.jpg

#5: Re: Marriage document question Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:37 am
    ----
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

#6: Re: Marriage document question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:19 am
    ----
Crying or Very sad I can't read it either Lady Emmy - it's too blurry! Shocked So sorry. Crying or Very sad

#7: Re: Marriage document question Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:29 am
    ----
Just curious, but have you tried using a tripod when you photograph these documents? One might be able to enhance the images if they were in focus.

#8: Re: Marriage document question Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 am
    ----
It looks to me like the clerk's symbol for 'ditto' meaning 'the town already stated'.

#9: Re: Marriage document question Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:56 pm
    ----
Many thanks to all for trying. If only my FHC had the means to run off copies!
I go back again tomorrow so I'll take a magnifying glass with me but I'm just wondering if it would be better to write to the priest and ask for a photocopy of the birth act. Do they actually put the information on the marriage act if any of the the couple's parents are dead at the time of the marriage? I know sometimes on birth and death acts they put 'fu' before the name if the person was dead when the record was made. (I did think it said 'morte' after the word 'domiliciato')
Very grateful to you all
Emmy

#10: Re: Marriage document question Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:18 pm
    ----
Just to let you all know with my 'new' spectacles and a magnifying glass I did find out that it said that Antonio was dead when the marriage of his daughter took place. what is printed is ' isi? morte nove Novembre with 3 small strokes (like 1's) at the end of the word Novembre
There was also another small hand written paragraph at the right hand side of the document about his death and there was a date 1843 so I'm presuming that Antonio died on the 9th November 1843.
I've ordered another film to check it out Smile
I've also discovered that at the end of this film with the marriages for Sant'Elia Fiumerapido there is another section with marriages for Villa Santa Lucia 1813-1849 so if anyone needs anything looked up for those dates in this area I have this film on indefinate loan.
Emmy

#11: Re: Marriage document question Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:38 pm
    ----
Emmy, did you know that you can order a copy through the FHC photoduplication center? Just give them the roll number, the name of the record and the date. They will probably send you a copy on a nice big piece of 11 x 17 inch paper:
www.familysearch.org/E...rofilm.pdf

I used this service to get copies of some hard to read documents because my FHL has a bad copier.

#12: Re: Marriage document question Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm
    ----
Thank you for that information/link Poipu My FHC doesnt have any facilities for photocopying records and its only the local records which are on CD's that they can print out. The actual film isnt very good so perhaps I would be better requesting a copy of the original document from the comune at Sant'Elia but I'll take a copy of the form from the link you posted to the FHC next week and ask them about it.
Many Thanks
Emmy

#13: Re: Marriage document question Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:36 pm
    ----
Emmy wrote:
... what is printed is ' isi? morte nove Novembre with 3 small strokes (like 1's) at the end of the word Novembre

Confused I hope you are right, but I'm not so sure!

Emmy wrote:
... There was also another small hand written paragraph at the right hand side of the document about his death and there was a date 1843 so I'm presuming that Antonio died on the 9th November 1843.
I've ordered another film to check it out

Wink

Luca

#14: Re: Marriage document question Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:32 pm
    ----
Thanks Luca
It was much clearer using the magnifying glass but once I have definate proof
I'll let you know the outcome
Smile
Emmy

-> Translations