Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: New Member
-> About Us

#1: New Member Author: kabullough PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 pm
    ----
Hi, my name is Katie.

My mother-in-law is from Cosenza, Italy; and I'd like to help her piece together her family tree while she is still here (she is 76).

I have names and rough dates, mostly. Most of her siblings have either passed or do not have any family information.

I have a little experience with ancestry.com researching other family lines. Information from Italy seems to be more of a challenge, as I'm not able to find vital documents on-line. I'm not sure where to begin.

The surname is Messinetti, and she said she was from the town Cosenza. I'm guessing that's the first place to start.

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Many Thanks,

Katie

#2: Re: New Member Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:02 pm
    ----
Hi Katie..

Welcome to Gente....nice to have you here and we will try to help.

I know this is a silly question but is this her married name or maiden name?

The name seems to be common in Cerzeto (which is in Cosenza province). What are her parents names? Did she marry in Italy? To who? When did she arrive in the U.S. ? You may have some success if you write away for her marriage records.

Do you need the address of the Comune there?

#3: Re: New Member Author: kabullough PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:23 pm
    ----
Hello Nuccia --

Messinetti is her maiden name. (Her full name is Elsa Messinetti Bullough, Bullough being her married name.)

She did marry in Cosenza, Italy, to a US citizen, and immigrated to the US.

Her father is Umile Flavio Messinetti.
Her mother is Ada Raia.

If you have the address for the Comune, that would be great. How does the mail run in Italy? Should I send the letter by FedEx?

Thanks for your help.

Katie

#4: Re: New Member Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:28 pm
    ----
Hi, Katie and welcome. Youc an send a letter normal air mail if you are not in a rush. It seems like my letters to Italy take 10 days from the U.S. and 5 days on the return trip. Comunes usually reply to you within 4 to 6 weeks, sometimes as quickly as two weeks. With that being said, I think your average wait time should be a month, but some have fared worse.

#5: Re: New Member Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:29 pm
    ----
Hi Katie and welcome to Gente. My family history center may have 1 or 2 films for Cosenza. There are many films on permanent loan from the province. But your mother in law was born well after the films end. Do you know her parents or grandparents names or information? I will check what films they have for Cosenza this week. Try asking your mother in law all she knows and write it down. Are you familiar with the microfilms of the Italian records?

#6: Re: New Member Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:18 pm
    ----

Hi Katie and welcome to "Gente". I'm sure you will enjoy being here with us. We're a pretty cool group (if I say so myself). Our team has some really great researchers who will help and guide you on your search for family information.

I'm sure we all look forward to hearing a bit more about YOU too!

#7: Re: New Member Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:24 pm
    ----
The address is as follows:

Comune Ufficio di Stata Civile
Via Petrassi, 11
87040 Cerzeto (CS)
ITALY

If you need help in writing a letter, write it in English and our Italian speaking/writing members will help you translate it. Quick note though...remember to act for the act and not the certificate. You will get more information on it.

#8: Re: New Member Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:24 pm
    ----
sorry im late, Welcome Smile

#9: Re: New Member Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:25 pm
    ----
I normally send my letters from the post office, they send it normal mail. i write to grassano and I get a reply back in 2 weeks Smile they have been extremely helpful to me! so i wish you the BEST of luck on your journey Smile

#10: Re: New Member Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:21 pm
    ----
Hi Katie and welcome to Gente!

#11: Re: New Member Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:36 pm
    ----
You know, the first act I requested was through email and I also mailed a request at the same time just in case they didn't receive the email, and I received it in 15 days. The ones I mail usually take four to eight weeks. I have also faxed requests and received replies in less then a week so I guess it would all depend on the Comune, request, mail delivery, how busy the Comune is and the time of year.

#12: Re: New Member Author: gogangaLocation: North Italy PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 am
    ----
Welcome Katie!

#13: Re: New Member Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:59 am
    ----
A great welcome Katie! This forum is of immense help and I feel it will be quite beneficial for your participation.

Good luck in your searches.

lilbees

#14: Re: New Member Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 am
    ----
Welcome Katie
I'm sure you'll soon discover you will get lots of help here on this forum and make lots of new friends too!
kiss
Emmy

-> About Us