Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Cannot connect the dots
-> Where do I begin?

#16: Re: Cannot connect the dots Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:23 pm
    ----
lotus45tiye wrote:
Ok, I am truly in awe of the level of knowledge and experience you all have, but are you pulling rabbits out of hats! I have been to Ellis Island and Castle Garden sites entering every combination of names I could think of and cannot find this 1907 Manifest record on Angelina Pica, even tried Frola. Where did you find this record?

I located the record on Ancestry by doing a search for Caterina Pica with year of birth as 1892 +/- 2 years. It was one of the first ten records to come up in the search. When I'm searching for someone younger, I do a search for that person under the father's and mother's surname. Fairly often children travelling with their mother will be indexed under the mother's maiden name. Caterina's mother is listed on Ancestry as Augela Pica--a common keying error due to the handwritten documents is to misinterpret an "n" for a "u."

Angela and Caterina are on the Ellis Island site with the surname Sica rather than Pica.

Biff

#17: Re: Cannot connect the dots Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:35 pm
    ----
I meant to mention this before but if you check the 1907 manifest, it shows Angel(in)a's birthplace as Sant'Arsenio but all three chidren's birthplace as S Pietro, likely San Pietro al Tanagro which is located just south of Sant'Arsenio.
www.comuni-italiani.it...mappa.html

Biff

#18: Re: Cannot connect the dots Author: lotus45tiyeLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:31 pm
    ----
Wow, guess I need to join Ancestry or go to the library more often. A million thanks for your assistance. Never would have though to look up Sica.

-> Where do I begin?