Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Returning to Italy
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Returning to Italy Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm
    ----
While there are manifests which indicate when an ancestor emigrated to the US, are there any records available similar to manifests if an ancestor returned to his native country? I am assuming that a passport would be traceable if the ancestor had become a citizen of the US but what if the ancestor was still an alien?
My grandfather's sister-in-law, Carmela (Monte) is mentioned in the letters from Gaetano, and I know she emigrated to the US in 1907 at age 20; however, I don't know when she returned to Belmonte. I found something very recently which may provide more information regarding Carmela which prompts my question regarding the possibility of gathering information when an emigrant returns to his native country.
img383.imageshack.us/i...athpq0.jpg

#2: Re: Returning to Italy Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:58 pm
    ----
Tom

I don't think passports were required unless you were a citizen of the US or before 1909. As far as I know, no such records exist. Sad

#3: Re: Returning to Italy Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:37 pm
    ----
I do have my grandfather's passport. He lived in the United States and in other countries. Remained Italian citizen and had a valid Italian passport, and used it when traveling. Same with my father .

Long ago I am not sure.

Aether

#4: Re: Returning to Italy Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:42 pm
    ----
I have my great grandmothers passport from 1909 but its her Italian passport. She returned to Italy in about 1913 with out it. There was an article on this subject I found a while back. I'll try and look for it and post the link here.

Meanwhile, perhaps others will share their thoughts too.

-> General Discussion Groups