Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Yesterdays goodies!
-> Recipes

#1: Yesterdays goodies! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:05 am
    ----
Just to get your 'dribble glands' working...

Here is a local mountain dish called SCIATT (pron: shatt) - sooooo delicious. Small bits of local cheese dipped in a batter made from local maize flour ('saracena') and then deep fried. As per usual her - a zillion calories - but hey, who cares.

The other dishes are a large veal chop and a 'cotoletta alla milanese' - a large breaded veal steak...

img213.imageshack.us/i...054hl4.jpg

img55.imageshack.us/im...057ab4.jpg

img411.imageshack.us/i...059wx1.jpg

#2: Re: Yesterdays goodies! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:03 am
    ----
Okay, I am putting the veal steak on my grocery list. Haven't prepared that in quite a while. So................delicious and with lemon absolutely the best! (not easy to find veal here)

lilbees

#3: Re: Yesterdays goodies! Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:03 pm
    ----
more information on the sciatt please Smile

#4: Re: Yesterdays goodies! Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:21 pm
    ----
I haven't had red meat since 2001 or I would say this looks amazing. I notice chicken is never mentioned (although duck was once). Is it not as much a staple in Italy as it is in the USA?

#5: Re: Yesterdays goodies! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:54 am
    ----
JamesBianco wrote:
I haven't had red meat since 2001 or I would say this looks amazing. I notice chicken is never mentioned (although duck was once). Is it not as much a staple in Italy as it is in the USA?

No, chicken and turkey are rarely found on a menu - at least up here in the Valtellina. Poultry is very inexpensive and is used as an 'every day' dish. Among the desireable/valued poultry you will find guinea fowl, quail, duck and goose.

Yes, red meat is expensive and therefore not something that would be on the table on a daily basis in many households. But having said that, Italian cuisine does produce some exquisite dishes from the less expensive cuts of red meat.

Pork and veal are popular too and veal is found on menus in restaurants etc. in abundance. Pork less so however - so much of the pork production goes to producing salami, susage, ham, and all the other vairiations of the famous Italian cured meats!

-> Recipes