Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:55 pm
    ----
To All:
Looking at the Comune of Grassano(Mt) while searching for San Innocenzo, I got to view a picture of the famous Franco Artese 's Grassano presepe posted by Carole.

This is an old Nativity tradition and still present in many small villages and towns in Italy, as symbols of their religious faith, and also as a touristic attractions.

Those presepes are built with great accuracy of detail, and somehow I wonder if "the castle" was not intended as part of a gigantic presepe?
Oh, Yes! My mind is wondering now...after a second glass of prosecco!

Anyway lets look at these sites:

<http://www.grassano.free.fr/franco_artese_grassano/presepe_di_grassano_di_franco_artese_2005/panoramica_intera.jpg>
(Note: do not divide grassano)

And at Franco Artese's Bio. with ref. to other famous presepes he has built.

<http://members.lycos.fr/aboneli/grassano/artese/artese.htm>

Well, what do you think? Elizabeth?

Sophia hide

Account Deactivated

#2: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:06 pm
    ----
Crying or Very sad Check the links, they're not working for me. Takes me to an error page. Anyone else having that problem too?

#3: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:34 pm
    ----
links not working for me either Sad

#4: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:29 pm
    ----
I can't get the links to work either. Sad

#5: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 pm
    ----
Nuccia, Elizabeth...

It took me a few times to get it. Carole had posted just one page of it. I guess you may go to Grassano,Mt and Comune di, and get in.

Also the artist Franco Artese is very well known and has done presepes for other towns, had something in N.Y., Spoleto, etc.

Try to go just by his name. His work is just perfect, I have seen some in Italy and the Grassano is very complete.

Hey Guys! All this because of Steven's medal! That is the nightmare of research - go for A and end up at Z . Hope he gets the picture of Innocenzo's statue, it's lovely!

Sophia
Account Deactivated

#6: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:19 pm
    ----
NEW!

Open Google - go to:
Francesco Artese un artista pittore Grassanesse.

See: (22/01/2006)
Presepe permanente di Grassano. Also has his Bio. Some sites do not open, I would like to see the one in Spoleto. I will try a search!

Last year in Rende-Centro storico an antique shop had 2 lovely presepe figures early 20th C. Just perfect.

Sophia Smile
Account Deactivated

#7: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 am
    ----
I got that link from the Italian search engine I use. I think it was a page from this site, which as I said was about 10 years old. I didn't find anything really about Saint Ignazio that was current...

Link-'SAND NUCENZ PROTETTORE DI GRASSANO'

These were other sites that I looked at too...

www.grassano.org/

www.basilicata.bancada...ssano.html

membres.lycos.fr/abone...n/foto.htm

#8: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:14 am
    ----
Here's another page on another link that I found. The photo's do enlarge and these are of the Festa di Sant'Ignazio....

>Festa di Sant'Ignazio<

And here's the saint himself (though a bit blurry!)

#9: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 am
    ----
Thanks for the links Carole. kiss

I love looking at photo's of different comune's processions, they give me goose bumps. My cousin sent me some photo's of my families comune and their festa. He also has a you tube posted of something called "the donkey dance"..........it was wild!

Thanks again

#10: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:12 pm
    ----
Carole wrote:
Here's another page on another link that I found. The photo's do enlarge and these are of the Festa di Sant'Ignazio....

>Festa di Sant'Ignazio<

And here's the saint himself (though a bit blurry!)

Carole, try this:

<http://www.comune.grassano.mt.iy/upload/Grassano.pdf>

Open and scroll down to page 13 - there is a picture of Sant' Innocenzo's sculture. Not perfect but clearer.
I have noticed that all other churches sites are better represented, but San Gio. Batt. seems to be very poor.
Sophia

#11: Re: PRESEPES, An Italian tradition Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:18 pm
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
Thanks for the links Carole. kiss

I love looking at photo's of different comune's processions, they give me goose bumps. My cousin sent me some photo's of my families comune and their festa. He also has a you tube posted of something called "the donkey dance"..........it was wild!

Thanks again

Yes, I have seen this "donkey dance" , those are the traditions I feel are so important to record and study.
Sophia

-> General Discussion Groups