Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Firefox Update
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: Firefox Update Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:09 pm
    ----
Tomorrow officially launches the newest Firefox update which specifically targets bookmarks.

My update came through a few days ago on its own and completely wiped out my all my bookmarks. At first I thought something strange happened to my PC, but then today in the newspaper I saw an article about it. I wish firefox sent out an announcement to its users before doing something like this because I had hundreds of very valuable bookmarks which I was not able to recover. It completely removed my whole default file.

so a word of caution..

If you use Firefox, you may want to back up your bookmarks just to be on the safe side.

#2: Re: Firefox Update Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:49 pm
    ----
Nuccia, Thanks for the warning ----- I was planning to upgrade my browser tomorrow

#3: Re: Firefox Update Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:42 pm
    ----
Heres a copy of the article that appeared in The Toronto Sun June 16, 2008 which explains it a bit better..

#4: Re: Firefox Update Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:38 pm
    ----
I upgraded to FF 3.0 on all of my Macs without any problems. Some add-ons were incompatible but none that I can't wait a bit to be updated for FF 3.0. I did experience a problem with the Italian Genealogy site not recognizing the new FF user-agent, but I run into that from time to time whenever I use Safari 3.1. Hopefully, these site will make adjustments for FF 3.0 soon.

#5: Re: Firefox Update Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:44 pm
    ----
Update: The Italian Genealogy site works with FF 3.0. The links to the some of the other genealogy sites do not such as Germany, Ireland, etc. The Unknown User-Agent error prevents accessing the site.

#6: Re: Firefox Update Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:49 pm
    ----
That just means that the administrator needs to do what I had to do here and allow certain user groups. It only takes a minute to do. I will contact him. Thanks for keeping us updated!

#7: Re: Firefox Update Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:35 am
    ----
Nuccia,

Did you look for your bookmarks in

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zt6a8qjt.default

(the last part may be different for your computer, a random generated name like the IE Temporary Internet Files\ContentIE6 folders.

This folder contains the bookmarks among others, but also a folder named Bookmarks Backups, with five days of bookmarks. Perhaps it was not overwritten by the upgrade. Might be an bookmarks.html if you have ever exported from Organize Bookmarks.

Only have Win98se, so could not upgrade to FF3 anyway.

Dave

#8: Re: Firefox Update Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03 am
    ----
Dave,

Thanks. I did try but it looks like the file was overwritten with the upgrade. Sad Thanks for thinking of me though!

#9: Re: Firefox Update Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:44 am
    ----
Nuccia, did you look into these?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks_after_Firefox_3_upgrade

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

#10: Re: Firefox Update Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:50 am
    ----
A little off topic but.................

Welcome back Livio!

#11: Re: Firefox Update Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:59 am
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
A little off topic but.................

Welcome back Livio!

Grazie.

I will disappear again in 10 days, and come back some time at the beginning of September Embarassed ready to upgrade to Firefox 3.0 Embarassed

#12: Re: Firefox Update Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am
    ----
Hi Livio

Ben tornato!!!

E l'abbronzatura???

#13: Re: Firefox Update Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:50 am
    ----
Thanks Livio..

Will look into this sometime today..let us know how your upgrade goes!

Welcome back. Smile

#14: Re: Firefox Update Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:50 am
    ----
We can send you our bookmarks, many of which I found here, though they probably won't be as extensive as yours. Recently gave the librarian at our history room all of my genealogy bookmarks and links. She had not heard of most of them; among them were those for Gente, Amici and ItalianGenealogy.

Dave

#15: Re: Firefox Update Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:46 am
    ----
Thank You Dave..thats a great idea. Please email me them or post them in www.gentedimaregenealo...forum&f=22
so everyone can enjoy them. I hope others will contribute theirs too.

-> PC Info and Guides