Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Translation from Italian of historical letter
-> Translations

#1: Translation from Italian of historical letter Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:52 pm
    ----
You may not beleive this but I won this letter on Ebay Italia thanks to the help of Carole! It is about an earthquake that occured in March 6, 1886. I would love to know what it says. Can someone please translate this? Thank you. Very Happy

img99.imageshack.us/im...001ee1.jpg

#2: Re: Translation from Italian of historical letter Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:43 am
    ----
Hope thisis OK!

TRANSLATION

COMMITTEE Rende, 30th March 1886
FOR
THOSE INJURED IN THE EARTHQUAKE
OF RENDE

The calamity that hit the unfortunate Comune of Rende, in the Province of Cosenza, is one of those that deserves the attention and the assistance of all it’s fellow-countrymen.
This charming town standing a few kilometres from Cosenza the capital of the province, up on a hill among the Apennines, since 1854 tormented by that terrible earthquake that almost ruined the major part of the towns of that Province, and the buildings can now be seen in one way or another put back, that which the course of events on the 6th March at 7.53am was hit by two very strong earthquake shocks that caused the collapse of the major part of the houses and three churches, and leaving among the remaining structures, those that were collapsing and those that were seriously damaged.
There is no way to say, how this town that was always so merry and today half ruined, can comfort their disheartened souls and saddened hearts.
It is a distressing scene! …
Amid all the depression, there is now a Committee having it’s office in Rende to lead an appeal to the patriotism of all those Italians from wherever they come to help these poor victims, making themselves responsible for all the sums of money that the National Charity wishes to donate to help ease all this misfortune.
For this there is the full belief and trust that this prayer in the name of a suffering population will be welcomed.

THE COMMITTEE
GIUSEPPE MAGDALONE. President and Treasurer
Doctor MARTINO GIUSEPPE
GIUSEPPE DE ROSE
ACHILLE ARMENTANO
Priest GIUSEPPE MONACO
MICHELANGELO MONCAVALLO Secretary

#3: Re: Translation from Italian of historical letter Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:08 am
    ----
Wow! That is wonderful - thank you Carole! kiss So, do you think this was posted in the town as encouragement to the people that help was coming? I am so happy I found this. It is a first hand account of damage, although vague, interesting nonetheless. Thanks again Carole for all your assistance! kiss
I would like to add this document and the translation to The Cosenza Exchange. May I use your translation? It would make a nice addition to the records from Rende that I have there.

#4: Re: Translation from Italian of historical letter Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:39 pm
    ----
Glad it was OK. Of course you should use it on your site... When you get the original you will see that your copy was posted (with stamp and all) to a local dignitary for, I guess, information.

-> Translations