Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Pompeii In Ruins
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Pompeii In Ruins Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:35 pm
    ----
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/eu...490735.stm

#2: Re: Pompeii In Ruins Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 pm
    ----
Thanks for posting this link Tom.

I'm planning my trip for 2009 (crosses fingers) and this is one of the sites at the top of my list. I'll keep my eye on it.

#3: Re: Pompeii In Ruins Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:14 am
    ----
I have a wonderful picture of my mom when she first met my Dad's family and they took her to herei. I really hope also to see it one day.

#4: Re: Pompeii In Ruins Author: debbthLocation: Agassiz, BC PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:43 pm
    ----
I visited there two years ago and it was amazing! I sure hope something is done to preserve the site. When I was there I marvelled at how free you were to walk around and how well the site looked. I didn't see a lot of litter or anything. What a sad development especially if we loose such a remarkable historic site.

Debbie

#5: Re: Pompeii In Ruins Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 am
    ----
I've never visited Pompeii, but if it is like some other historical sites I have visited, they were suffering from lack of care and maintenance too...
One I particularly remember was Napoleon's villa at San Martino on the island of Elba... The last time I was there - in 2003 and it was pitifully run down.

However when I was searching for this little picture I noticed an entry about the 'restoration' of Napoleons Villa on Elba. I must admit that it now seems worht a visit - some of the work seems almost a miracle! If you've never been to Elba, try and add it to one of your visits - it is my favourite place in Italy after the Alps!!!

>RESTORATION ARTICLE<

-> General Discussion Groups