Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: To learn the English
-> General Discussion Groups

#16: Re: To learn the English Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:21 pm
    ----
LOL The new york version is better?

I think the difference is..American english is full of slang and regional words and expressions.

I remember, many years ago..when Joan Rivers had her talk show. She was interviewing a very young Celine Dion. Celine said she was speaking english for only 5 years. She learned the language and came to the US (probably NY) and thought she had learned the wrong language. She didnt understand anybody. It then took her more time..to learn the American slang so that she could understand people.

Our english isnt as pure as those in england. Yes, we understand them..and they understand us..but the slang we have here..isnt really used there.

#17: Re: To learn the English Author: mler PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:39 pm
    ----
In Italy it seems that British English is taught, and my niece, an English teacher, actually speaks with a British accent--rather disconcerting. One of my Italian friends tells me that when he uses "Americanisms" in the classroom, he is reprimanded by his teacher.

I tell them that English may have been invented in England, but it was perfected here. peep

#18: Re: To learn the English Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:47 pm
    ----
I like to hear the Brits talk. I think we made a mess of their language..lol

#19: Re: To learn the English Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:50 pm
    ----
mler wrote:
In Italy it seems that British English is taught, and my niece, an English teacher, actually speaks with a British accent--rather disconcerting. One of my Italian friends tells me that when he uses "Americanisms" in the classroom, he is reprimanded by his teacher.

I tell them that English may have been invented in England, but it was perfected here. peep

Mizzica...che coraggio Wink che avete dicendo cose del genere!!!!

Gli Americani non sanno parlare la lingua delgli Inglese - per niente..... hide

Punto e basta!!!!!

adminpower

LOL LOL LOL

#20: Re: To learn the English Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:09 pm
    ----
Oh Carole..that's not true...lol

-> General Discussion Groups