Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER
-> General Discussion Groups

#16: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:14 pm
    ----
Ok, i spoke to dad.. he said that we might go out there the 5th.. bc he got no work or nothing.. so hopefully we'll go the 5th Smile

#17: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:21 pm
    ----
Awesome! I can hardly wait to hear what you come up with!

#18: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:07 pm
    ----
heres a question i have... maybe its a good one, maybe not... What can i find in the surrogate court archives?

#19: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: lotus45tiyeLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:27 pm
    ----
Hi Steven: I have worked for one of the NJ County Surrogate's Office for 29 yrs and I hate to let you down, but the records for all adoptions throughout the State are not open records, regardless of the year they are finalized. I do not know who told you this info from the State Archives or Hudson County but it is incorrect. The Archive records only go up to 1940 for birth and I think death certificates, but they do not carry adoption records, which are only stored in the County where filed. You must have a Court Order to open these files and genealogy research is not acceptable. Hudson County has supplied you with only the docket index record and I would be dumbfounded if you can gain access to the actual record by submitting a search fee or by traveling to the office and I will be right behind you as I am adopted and my records are also in Hudson County. The State of NJ has passed legislation to allow access to the records by the person adopted but the entire bill has not been finalized. It will have a one year period for the natural parents to file an objection.

All 21 County Surrogate Offices in the State of NJ will have on record the full applications for the probate of wills, administration and affidavits of estates, guardianships of minors and incapacitated persons, trusts under wills, accountings and other pleadings filed with the Superior Court on a contested matter. These records are public as long as the appointments have been finalized or resolved by the Court. You will find a copy of the death certificates in the estate files as well as a list of the next of kin, residency at time of death, etc. I hope this info is helpfull to you, Carol

#20: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:20 pm
    ----
everybody i spoke with at the surrogates and the archives told me since it was taken place in 1938 they are public record. I asked them if i needed a court order and he told me No that i do not need one due to the fact it was before 1940....

#21: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:22 pm
    ----
this is what Bette Epstein from the archives put at the bottom of a letter she sent me

3) The 1902 law (P.L. 1902, Section 4) did NOT contain any
confidentiality provision to prohibit access to adoption records. This
law was amended in 1938 restricting, for the first time, public access
to adoption record.
In 1940, the adoption statute [NJSA 9:3-8; Record of Adoption
Proceedings], which was enacted into law in 1902, was amended to include
a provision to seal all adoption records through the County Surrogate's
Court System. The amending statute [P.L. 1940, c.210] was approved and
became effective November 19, 1940. Since the amended law was not made
retroactive, the more stringent 'sealing of records' provision in the
amended law DID NOT apply to adoption proceedings held before November
19, 1940.
In 1952, the current law [NJSA 9:3-52] was passed. It requires any
person seeking access to SEALED adoption records to obtain a court
order, for good cause, from the Superior Court. However, since records
prior to 1940 WERE NOT SEALED, citizens should be able to review them.

#22: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:13 pm
    ----
Well that certainly bodes well for you Steven. I hope it all works out OK for you now.
Smile

#23: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:25 pm
    ----
tomorrows the day.... im excited Smile

#24: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:51 pm
    ----
I am standing by with the dancing bananas! Wink My fingers are crossed for you!

#25: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:19 pm
    ----
I am also standing by hoping for good news for you. If this works, then maybe Carol will have hope for herself. Keep us posted! Smile

#26: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:11 am
    ----
off to the surrogate court Smile

#27: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: lotus45tiyeLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 am
    ----
Very interesting Steve! Not even the Adoption Clerk in my office was aware of this. We do not get to many inquiries for adoption records before the 1970's. Great news, wishing you luck. Also, if you are searching old estates, say early 1900's or earlier, check out the inventories and/or accounting ledgers as they contain great info on the personal property of the decedent. Great reading!

#28: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:44 pm
    ----
Just got back from the surrogate court.... I got the adoption records Smile :) Smile she was called Baby Gilchrist. Her mothers name was Rose.. she was about 2 wks old when my great grandparents adopted her. The fathers name was unknown and it stated that he abandoned the child and mother.

#29: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:09 pm
    ----
Good job, Steve! (Two thumbs up for you!) Whats your next step going to be?

#30: Re: GREAT NEWS! ONE STEP CLOSER Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:10 pm
    ----
nuccia wrote:
Good job, Steve! (Two thumbs up for you!) Whats your next step going to be?
well my next step is to try and locate the Rose Gilchrist on a census. and then try and get to the bottom of why she was given up for adoption. things like that Smile

-> General Discussion Groups