Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Pubblicazione question
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Pubblicazione question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:30 am
    ----
I know the Pubblicazione is done before the actual marriage takes place. But I found a Pubblicazione tonight done in early January 1876. Less than a month later I found another Pubblicazione for the same man with another girl (sorry, I cannot call a 14 year old a woman). Can they do that? Back out of one marriage for another in so short a time span? I know the Pubblicazione is like a marriage bann, but can someone explain it's purpose? I'm curious.
Thanks.

#2: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:15 am
    ----
The Pubblicazione are the marriage banns. They need to be posted (or read in some cases since people didn't read) at least 3 times prior to the marriage taking place. Usually it was the 3 Sundays prior to the wedding..or 2 Sundays and the Thursday.

At that point, someone could object the marriage.

#3: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:15 am
    ----
Well, this man's first marriage bann was not up the full 3 weeks before the second marriage bann! I have seen partially filled out pubs crossed out before - that makes sense to me. This one threw me a little. Shocked

#4: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:13 am
    ----
Wow, there could be some interesting story behind this, like he promised to marry bride A before bride B and bride A's father made him live up to his promise. Who knows? BTW, they still publish three weeks of marriage bans in the Catholic church. They did this for my wedding in the church bulletin for three weeks.

#5: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:45 pm
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
Wow, there could be some interesting story behind this, like he promised to marry bride A before bride B and bride A's father made him live up to his promise. Who knows? BTW, they still publish three weeks of marriage bans in the Catholic church. They did this for my wedding in the church bulletin for three weeks.
The really strange thing is intended bride # 1 was 20 years old. Intended bride # 2 is 14. I know it was common to marry teenaged girls back then but I cannot get over these older men marrying 14 and 15 year old girls. Shocked I know times were different but some of these men were in their 30's and 40's and that is just creepy.

#6: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:50 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:
Poipu04 wrote:
The really strange thing is intended bride # 1 was 20 years old. Intended bride # 2 is 14. I know it was common to marry teenaged girls back then but I cannot get over these older men marrying 14 and 15 year old girls. Shocked I know times were different but some of these men were in their 30's and 40's and that is just creepy.

You think that is creepy, in Sicily during the 1630-1670 period more than 1/4 of the brides were 12 years old, and usually just, as if that were some sort of landmark age or something. Creepy indeed!!

Wait, how old was Jerry Lee Lewis's third wife again? And wasn't she his cousin? Guess it happens here too!

Wink

#7: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:18 pm
    ----
That is horrible! (from a 21st century mother's point of view)... good thing I didn't live back then. I would have given some of these men more than the slipper!!!
Seriously, Jim I bet you have a lot of amazing stories from your research. I would love to hear more and I know there are others who would too. I know enough Italian to read the hard facts on the records but I know I miss a lot due to my linguistic inadequacies. I see notes I cannot read. That drives me crazy but one day, when I have accomplished my current goals, I will work on those notes.
Are you doing the Carini state civil records yet? I noticed they are not on your website yet.

#8: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:03 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:

Are you doing the Carini state civil records yet? I noticed they are not on your website yet.

Well, as much as I would love to have civil records up, and I certainly have the space (280G currently) I could not afford to photocopy them at one page (and sometimes two) per entry. My local FHC Digital Copy Machine transfers images at 3 per every 10 minutes, way too long, so I have to do the hardcopy thing, then scan at home)

Church records are much more concise, 10-12 baptisms or 4 marriages PER page... you can see why I chose Church over Civil (nevermind they pre-date The Civil records by 300 (1527) years and come all the way up to 1910)

#9: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 pm
    ----
YIKES! That's a lot of work and time! My FHC is much quicker to scan. Too bad I did not know from the beginning that I could have been using my flash drive. It takes me longer to "fix" the scanned images than it does to copy them. The images currently come out in TIFF format at 4-6 megs each so I have to change them to smaller jpg's and try to clean up the darker images. The machine is huge and looks like an antique but works great and is fairly fast. I would give anything to obtain the church records from my grandfather's comune that you have for Carini. I am so jealous!! Mr. Green

#10: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:26 pm
    ----
Cathy it's horrible, they have had that machine now for better than a year. The director has not made any attempts to call Salt Lake either.

You put the reel on, hit the copy button, it scans to the pc next to the scanner. It takes at least a minute if not two to show up. Then you have to go through two screens before you can continue on and copy the next image. You have to transfer the images to a memory stick/Ipod (which is what I use) or whatever. IF you try and do more than three, the PC reboots and you lose everything. Keep in mind one Carini volume is on average 200-300 pages plus index (at .10 a copy) and I have 40 Full Church books onlime it gets costly to hardcopy, and then to have to go home and scan them on my flatbed scanner individually, then crop the images one by one and finally upload them to the domain. Once they are uploaded I make the page, in which I link each page individually to an image I have uploaded. Start to finish it takes 2-3 hours for me to complete a book, and at least $25 for the copies.

It is a labor of love!! And I don't accept donations or assistance unless someone wonderful like Riccardo extracts something (as he recently did) and sends it to me. I just feel it's wrong to accept money when you are given a gift such as what the LDS church has given me.

Smile

#11: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:49 pm
    ----
James, is that the Bloomfield FHC? I have been using another one in CT and all they have is one printer, no scanner/PC elements. You have to remove your reel from the reader and walk it over to the printer to print it. Plus, the printer is like 15 yrs. old! That statistic on the 12 yrs. old gives me the creeps. Can we assume since people probably lived until they were 40 back then, that 12 was "older" than it is now??????

BTW, one set of my great grandparents were 16 and about 32 when they got married. Yikes!

#12: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:55 pm
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
James, is that the Bloomfield FHC?

Yeap that is the one! Where are you in CT? It is about a 30 minute drive for me. You also have to remove your reel and go to the printer, but I usually just put the reel on the printer itself as I usually copy 200-300 copies at a sitting.

I would try Bloomfield if you get the chance, maybe I'll be there and we can meet.

Smile

#13: Re: Pubblicazione question Author: exdemLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:04 pm
    ----
My ggrandmother was 13 when she was married.

-> General Discussion Groups