Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Ladri di biciclette
-> Books and Movies

#1: Ladri di biciclette Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:41 pm
    ----
I watched a compelling Italian film, Ladri di biciclette, last night. Since the film was made in 1948 it closely follows some of the real life experiences mentioned in the letters from Gaetano Dragotto to his brother Ignazio, which appeared serially on this forum as the letters were transliterated and translated by the able translators on Gente. Although I was able to understand bits and pieces of the dialog, I was thankful for the subtitles. As one might imagine, the events depicted during this time of Italy's history are not the most uplifting; however, the film itself is an important document; moreover, it's realism is so stark that it could be mistaken for documentary.

#2: Re: Ladri di biciclette Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:30 pm
    ----
You are right Tom, this film is a part of the history of post war Italy and as such, is indeed an important guide to how life was for many in those dark years of post war recovery.

Here below, for those who would like to see it (all-be-it in episodes and on the computer) are the links to the entire film on You Tube... As Tom said - there are subtitles for those who don't speak Italian. It is a very moving film...

ENJOY!!

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7

Episode 8

Episode 9

'FINE'

#3: Re: Ladri di biciclette Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:49 pm
    ----
Thanks Tom and Carole. I think I know what I will be doing in a few weeks when I am home on my "leave" (if I can sit that long, that is) Shocked

#4: Re: Ladri di biciclette Author: dvaccaroLocation: Minneapolis, MN PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:51 am
    ----
a fantastic movie. "Ladri di biciclette" ("Bicycle Thieves") is widely considered one of the best films ever made... certainly one of the best in the italian neo-realist genre. if anyone is considering buying the dvd, i would recommend the Criterion release; a restored version with extras on two discs.

another from the same director (Vittorio Di Sica) that i would recommend if you like "Bicycle Thieves" is called "Umberto D." (also on Criterion DVD). awesome movie about an old man and his dog trying to live on his meager government pension.

there are so many great italian neo-realist films... most using non-actors and historical social situations... wonderful insights into our italian cousins' lives.

to name a few more, check out:

La Terra Trema
The Wide Blue Road
Rocco & His Brothers
Salvatore Giuliano

and some dark comedies that give excellent glimpes at Sicilian culture:

Divorce Italian Style
Seduced & Abandoned

-> Books and Movies