Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Search of a surname
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Search of a surname Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:55 pm
    ----
I believe that the surname Talaia is out of Catanzaro.

I have a spouse in my tree named Catherine Talaia b. abt. 1885. She was married to Francesco Rescigno. Her place of origination is listed as Carlentini, Sirucusa on a baptismal record I have for some of her children.

The first spelling I received was Talaija. The last document I received had the name as Talaia. Is anyone familiar with this surname?

Thanks for any help.

lilbees

#2: Re: Search of a surname Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:53 pm
    ----
The surname is seen in Nicastro (which is now Lamezia Terme if I am correct) and in Sirucusa (Sicily). Not sure if that helps you or not.

#3: Re: Search of a surname Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:45 pm
    ----
That's great Nuccia. Thank you.

It would make sense as I believe that Sircusa is not only the birth place for Francesco and where I also believe there marriage took place.

All their, Francesco and Catherine, children were born in Gabès, Tunisia. I already have their baptismal records and some of the children's marriage records.

Francesco's naming of his children led me to search him out further. When I received his death record it said my great grandfather was his father. Up until then I didn't know he really existed as part of the family and led me to now search in Sicily for births and marriages . Giovannina, his sister, was listed as being born in Lecara Friddi on her death record so things are beginning to come together for my family. I sent a request to Lecara Friddi to see if the 3 eldest children have any records, including my grandfather Vincenzo. Have my fingers crossed I get something. I also sent to the Palermo Archives to see if I can find my great grandfather's birth record.

I have now gone from only knowing about 4 or 5 children to 10.

Eventually I should be able to work my way back toward the Campania region since I do believe that would be their point of origination.

The advice of working backward is really true....

If anyone else has anything let me know.

Thank you
lilbees

#4: Re: Search of a surname Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:50 pm
    ----
Nuccia, forgot to ask. Where is Nicastro (which is now Lamezia Terme)? What is it near (province?)

#5: Re: Search of a surname Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:40 pm
    ----
Its in Catanzaro. Here is the info for the Comune...

Comune di Lamezia Terme Via A. Perugini - 88046 Lamezia Terme (CZ) Partita IVA 00301390795

Centralino tel. 0968 2071 Fax 0968 462470

Posta Elettronica protocollo @ comune.lamezia-terme.cz.it

Posta Elettronica Certificata protocollo @ cert.comunelamezia.it

L'Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico U.R.P. si trova al piano terra del Palazzo Comunale in via A. Perugini ed è aperto al pubblico da lunedì a venerdì dalle 8,45 alle 13,15. Il martedì e giovedì anche dalle 15,30-17,30

urp @ comune.lamezia-terme.cz.it.

-> General Discussion Groups