Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Success at Last!
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Success at Last! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:12 pm
    ----
Well, after spending some time going through some hard to read film (need new eyes), I finally found a grand uncle Francesco Rescigno b. 1875 in Carlentini, Sircusa, Sicilia. As luck would have it the scanner jammed so I could not copy the birth record today but the LDS library is open tomorrow so I will do it then.

I was so excited when I found it in the index and later the actual record all I could do was shout "hell no!". Now that is something considering I am in a little room of the LDS Church. The gentleman who was manning the front desk came over and reassured me that it was okay. Thank goodness. The document is the first real, honest to god accurate record with the right parents and all. I didn't take the time to decipher the actual date but with copy in hand tomorrow, I will try. I will next have to locate his marriage record on this same film since I have some indication he also married there in Carlentini. Would love to find his wife's record but not sure she was born there. I have lots of time and thank goodness the indexes are great. Once through those I will have to check each document in case something is missed.

I have more film coming in to locate the other children in our family and have my fingers crossed.

I want to thank all for their encourgement and directions. kiss Smile

lilbees

#2: Re: Success at Last! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:19 pm
    ----
That's awesome lilbees! I remember when I found my first record I did the same thing. I guess it's easy to forget we're in a Church sometimes.. lol

#3: Re: Success at Last! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:20 pm
    ----
Amen!

lilbees

#4: Re: Success at Last! Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:41 am
    ----
Very Happy Very Happy

Allora vedremo se c'รจ quel benedetto legame con Roccapiemonte.

Dita incrociate!!

Luca

#5: Re: Success at Last! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 am
    ----
Luca, as you said, we will see about the Roccapiemonte connection. Don't know much about Italian migraton but could be.

It appears the family migrated to Tunisia from Sicily about 1890-1891. The last child without a known birth location was born 1890 (place unknown) but not baptised until 1891 in Gabes.

I still have another Rescigno family in Sutera that immigrated to Chicago about 1901-1910. I have ordered the film for Sutera to see if there is any connection. The head of that family who migrated to Chicago was Dominico with sons Francesco and Vincenzo. There may be others? Dominico did not stay, lost track of Francesco after 1910 census and that Vincenzo also died in the 1930's although he was much younger than my grandfather.

lilbees

#6: Re: Success at Last! Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:03 am
    ----
Did you order only 1 film for Carlentini?
Be sure to check at least 5 years before and 5 years after Francesc's born, to see if there are others Rescigno.
Ask for any help you'll need with translations.

Luca

#7: Re: Success at Last! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 am
    ----
Yes I did order other film for Carlentini. The others are back ordered, should be in next week. I also ordered the film for Lercara Freddi.

lilbees

-> General Discussion Groups