Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: On the lighter side
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: On the lighter side Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:24 pm
    ----
I am making labels for bottles of wine and have chosen this:
Casa di Marrone --is this grammatically correct? Villa or palazzo or castello are way too presumptuous for my modest little hobby Wink

#2: Re: On the lighter side Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:02 pm
    ----
I think that's great..not sure about whether is grammatically correct or not (although I would think it is) but can you save me some wine????

Smile

#3: Re: On the lighter side Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:53 pm
    ----
Of course. Chianti is bottled and aging. I cheated and tasted as I was bottling and it is very good young which is a favorable sign; however, the wine should improve with age(around Dec should be an OK time to pop the cork). I also have Viognier bottled--that's already good.
Too bad this site isn't set up for wine tasting Sad

#4: Re: On the lighter side Author: carnieLocation: Barnsley. South Yorks. PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:28 pm
    ----
Tom, A day without Wine is like a day without Sun. Saluti Razz

#5: Re: On the lighter side Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
I am making labels for bottles of wine and have chosen this:
Casa di Marrone --is this grammatically correct? Villa or palazzo or castello are way too presumptuous for my modest little hobby Wink

The word 'marrone' has various connotations (beware of No.3!!!) Embarassed

marrone

1 varietà di castagna, più grossa e saporita di quella comune: torta di marroni | TS bot.com., varietà di castagno che produce tale frutto
1. Variety of chestnut, larger and tastier than the normal kind; chestnut cake; Variety of chestnut tree that bears this fruit-

2 cio delle castagne: chiaro, scuro. Di tale colore.
2. of chestnuts: light, dark. Of that colour.

3 spec. al pl., volg., testicolo
3. Especially in plural., vulgar., testicle

peep

#6: Re: On the lighter side Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:40 pm
    ----
Whoah Shocked
How about just plain old Brown as in the color?

On the other hand I've bottled up some nut brown ale, maybe I should settle on a generic for both Wink

#7: Re: On the lighter side Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:48 pm
    ----
Well that 'particular word' is usually connected with chestnuts (and those other things....).
Whereas 'brown' uses various words, among which is marrone.

For example:
BROWN
1 bruno; marrone; castano: - bear, orso bruno; - eyes, occhi castani; - shoes, scarpe marroni / Brown Bess, (sl., antiq.) 'Brown Bess' (vecchio tipo di moschetto)

Context counts for everything!

#8: Re: On the lighter side Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:58 pm
    ----
Only you Carole can come up with such things... lol

See you in December, Tom. I will bring the salami, you pour the wine. Smile

#9: Re: On the lighter side Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 pm
    ----
Carole, to think I was sweating articulating double consonants such as anno and penne Shocked Now, I have to worry about snickering and whispering when I open a bottle of my Chianti!

Sounds good to me, Nuccia Very Happy

-> General Discussion Groups