Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Italian names??
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Italian names?? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:12 am
    ----
Would anyone know the translation of the following names from French to Italian?

Roland
Laurent

I believe Laurent would be Lorenzo but I could be wrong. The only thing I came up with for Roland was Rinaldo.

Would these be correct???

lilbees

#2: Re: Italian names?? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:34 am
    ----
Laurent could also be Loreto.
Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in your surnames. Look and see if Rinaldo is a common first name for that area. You don't see it where I live but it could be very common in other areas.

#3: Re: Italian names?? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:03 am
    ----
A Few possible explanations...

# RONALD: English and Scottish name derived from Old Norse Rognvaldr, meaning "wise ruler."
# RONALDO: Portuguese form of Ronald, meaning "wise ruler."

# LORENS: Scandinavian form of English Laurence, meaning "of Laurentum."
# LORENZ: German form of English Laurence, meaning "of Laurentum."
# LORENZO: Italian form of English Laurence, meaning "of Laurentum."
# LAURENT: French form of Roman Laurentius, meaning "of Laurentum."
# LAURENTIN: French name derived from Roman Laurentinus, meaning "of Laurentum."
# LAURENTIU: Romanian form of Roman Laurentius, meaning "of Laurentum."
# LAURENTINUS: Roman name derived from Laurentius, meaning "of Laurentum."
# LAURENTIUS: Roman name meaning "of Laurentum."

#4: Re: Italian names?? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:14 am
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Would anyone know the translation of the following names from French to Italian?

Roland
Laurent

I believe Laurent would be Lorenzo but I could be wrong. The only thing I came up with for Roland was Rinaldo.

Would these be correct???

lilbees
Rolando and Lorenzo

#5: Re: Italian names?? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:44 am
    ----
Thank you for your replies. That is a great help to me. I know one of them immigrated to the US but it was difficult to search under the french names.

Thank you again,
lilbees

-> General Discussion Groups