Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Why a form? Not a copy of the record!
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:04 pm
    ----
Possible regulation about sending a birth copy???

Even though I had research the LDS films and found and scanned the birth record I was looking for I wrote a letter to the commune in question to request possibly a better copy of that record.

I had requested "copia integrale dell'atto di nascita" of this person.

The form that was enclosed with their letter contained all the necessary information but was not what I wanted. Did I request the wrong thing? I had enclosed a copy of my passport to identify myself, a copy of my wallet size birth record showing my maiden name and included a small donation.

I also received a letter telling me there were no results for the status of family.

lilbees

#2: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:21 pm
    ----
I dont have an answer as to why towns dont send a copy. I thought maybe they had no copier. I got copies from the provincial capital.

#3: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:56 pm
    ----
Is it possible that it is difficult to copy a page from the ledger book where the info is recorded? It might also damage the original page/book.

I have also had a very difficult time in getting "scheda di famiglia"......the only one I ever received was for my Paternal Grandfather which my Italian cousin obtained for me. I have asked for "scheda di famiglia" for one of my Maternal Great Grandfathers and the same for my Paternal Great Grandfather.....both requests were never fulfilled. I believe that these need to be researched by hand to extract all the necessary info (Riccardo, please correct me if I am wrong).

#4: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:36 am
    ----
It has been my experience that a 'copia integrale' for the clerks,means that they provide all the information on the record including notations. Italians do not recive an official birth certificate at birth. When they need a copy for some official purpose, like school or marriage, the clerk will make them a certificate for that purpose, including only the information required. i.e. for school purposes it would state only the name and date of birth with no reference to parents names. If you wnat a photocopy of the original record you need to ask for that. 'fotocopia dell'originale'.
Sometimes the books are too large to be photocopied. ie after 1866.
As far as the 'scheda di famiglia' is concerned the format varied from town to town. You can see the various forms on my website under CENSUS.
www.angelcommunication...s.live.com

#5: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 pm
    ----
I never got a reply when asking for that, either. I only asked once, per town..and I did this many years ago.

I think I read someplace, that these stato di famiglia (that is what you mean, right?), were only taken for a certain time period. I always thought, maybe they didnt have them for whatever period I requested.

Its very difficult to communicate with the Italians, if you arent fluent in the language. I know when I was looking for certain things in this country..I was able to explain better, in English and if all else failed..I called up.

#6: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:05 pm
    ----
You know, in my town of Paduli, Riccardo had to convince them that they could give me a photocopy. The clerk was adamant that all they could give me was the extract. Riccardo quoted them the law, and next thing you know, I got the photocopy. I think it all depends on the clerk. I have gotten photocopies of the original from Sarno, Salerno without a problem. Sometimes you have to write back and say thanks, I have the extract, now can you give me a copy of the original.

#7: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:47 pm
    ----
I go right to the Mayor if there are issues I can't resolve. It works!

#8: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:48 pm
    ----
Thank you everyone for your input.

I will try again to see if I can obtain a photo copy of the original birth record.

I have now forgotten about the family story. It seems there are not many communes who would do that kind of research or at least be willing.

Thank you again,
lilbees

#9: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:56 pm
    ----
You might try writing to the Comune and asking if there is anyone available to research the Storico di famiglia 'a pagamento'. If you suggest a sum (say 5 euro a name, since you can send it cash) you might just get it. I am basing the amount on the fact that in my area many Comune's are now charging 5 euro a certificate for anything without a date that they have to research. Most towns have 10 year indexes so its not that big a deal, for those who don't don't it means looking at each year's index. Takes longer but still not unachievable. Good Luck.

#10: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 am
    ----
Eleven wrote:
I never got a reply when asking for that, either. I only asked once, per town..and I did this many years ago.

I think I read someplace, that these stato di famiglia (that is what you mean, right?), were only taken for a certain time period. I always thought, maybe they didnt have them for whatever period I requested.

Its very difficult to communicate with the Italians, if you arent fluent in the language. I know when I was looking for certain things in this country..I was able to explain better, in English and if all else failed..I called up.

The doc that I received from my Dad's hometown was titled a "Scheda di Famiglia" ---- I think Scheda can be translated to file....It listed my Grandfather, all his children (that survived) and his 3rd wife --- he outlived the first two. My Grandmother was wife # 2 and she didn't make the cut.
It listed dates of birth and any dates of deaths or marriages that were recorded in Corato; since my Uncle moved to Foggia that was listed as was my Dad's emigrstion to the USA; my Aunt had moved to France and was buried in Italy but her death was not listed, only her marriage.

#11: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:15 pm
    ----
Its like a census? I always read that was called the stato di famiglia. No wonder people have difficulty in getting them. We are calling them the wrong thing?

#12: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:20 pm
    ----
It is called a Stato di famiglia, but usually they are prepared by the town office for official reasons, like a means test for or pension etc. When you ask for one, its like you wnat them to do your family tree and they feel this is a waste of their time. If they have a census (and it is indexed) they will do it, otherwise they ignore you.

#13: Re: Why a form? Not a copy of the record! Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:47 am
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
...I think it all depends on the clerk...

...and on his unknowing Twisted Evil

Luca

-> General Discussion Groups