Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Military Records
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Military Records Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:05 pm
    ----
A while back there was a very good posting about types of Military Records written by Riccardo. I thought it was going to be placed in the Resources section. I have searched everywhere and cannot locate it.

If someone can refer me to it I would be very grateful. giornale

I am wanting to write for military records for some of my family members.

Thank you,
lilbees

#2: Re: Military Records Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:05 am
    ----
So far these are the only posts I was able to find with any mention to Military Records by Riccardo:

www.gentedimaregenealo...3644#13644

www.gentedimaregenealo...2183#12183

www.gentedimaregenealo...0163#10163

www.gentedimaregenealo...=5819#5819

If you can't find what you are looking for I'm sure he can write something up for you. Is there something specific that you wanted to know?

#3: Re: Military Records Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:28 am
    ----
Thank you Nuccia. I was looking for the definitions of each of the military records, i.e. list de leva, etc., and to decide which is the best to request for information.

lilbees

#4: Re: Military Records Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:26 pm
    ----
yes, u need to write to State Archive of the province where your ancestor was resident, to have foglio matricolare and lista di leva
so u first get the province, and later we give you the right address where to write
i hope it helps
bye Riccardo

#5: Re: Military Records Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:34 pm
    ----
Riccardo,
Can you please give us the definitions of each of the military records and what they can provide when you have time.

#6: Re: Military Records Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:48 pm
    ----
The military record is a document stating about the military life of the person
Usually you find all personal infos like, military record number, name and last name, name of parents, colour of hair, of eyes, complexion, height, shape of hair, shape of nose, teeth, chest measurement, skill or occupation, if able to read and write, and if married, and if emigrated - where and when
starting from the date of military draft, it states if you are able for military service, so it also tells you if you are soldier of 1st, 2nd or 3rd category, when assigend to military unit, when went in war, if prisoner, if wounded, if took medals, if died during war, and when discharged

this is how an italian military record looks like

images.google.com/imag...a=N&tab=wi

the military draft card just states if the guy appeared, or not, for military check up to military district, to see if he was able or not for military service, including almost the same infos as above (Usually you find all personal infos like, military record number, name and last name, name of parents, colour of hair, of eyes, complexion, height, shape of hair, shape of nose, teeth, chest measurement, skill or occupation, if able to read and write)
The military draft card comes before the military record
so the military record has many infos u don't find in the draft card

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

#7: Re: Military Records Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 pm
    ----
Riccardo, would I order both the foglio matricolare and the lista di leva?

And, of course, it would be the Salerno Province.

Oh! thank you for letting me know what those are.

lilbees

#8: Re: Military Records Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:43 am
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Riccardo, would I order both the foglio matricolare and the lista di leva?

And, of course, it would be the Salerno Province.

Oh! thank you for letting me know what those are.

lilbees

Hello,
this is the link of Salerno State Archive, where you find address and email

www.archivi.benicultur...me=SALERNO

As u can see below it keeps military draft cards from birth years of 1838 to 1919 and military records from birth years of 1842 to 1914, for all the men who were born and resident in one of the villages of Salerno province

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo

U f f i c i o d i l e v a d i S a l e r n o , regg. 829 (classi 1838-l 919): < Liste di leva >.
Elenchi 1889- 1988.

D i s t r e t t o m i l i t a r e d i S a l e r n o , regg. 839 (classi 1842-1914): < Ruoli matricolari
>. Elenchi 1968, 1986 e 1988.

#9: Re: Military Records Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:21 am
    ----
Thanks Riccardo. It looks like the Liste di leva is the one to order for the years available for what I need, but I can request information only on 4 of my family members for the Ruoli matricolari.

That will be great. Thank you again.

lilbees

#10: Re: Military Records Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 am
    ----
Hi Everyone,

I was quite surprised today to find a packet from Italy with some new information about my family. (I sent an email to them back in April and didn't hear anything, so this was quite a nice treat).

Anyway, they included a document called the "esito di leva" for my Great Grandfather. I think this is the same thing as the lista di leva, no?

I could read all of the information about his physical attributes and family, but there is a section next to the physical attributes that I could not understand.

With this information would there be any way to tell if my ancestor served or has a foglio matricolare? Who would I need to contact?

Just fyi, this document came from the Archivo di Stato - Ministero per i Beni e le Attivita Culturali in Ragusa.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#11: Re: Military Records Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:21 pm
    ----
Hi JB5150,

I've contacted Riccardo since he's the expert on Military records and I'm sure he'll pop around soon. Meanwhile Love the avatar! Nice to see you again!

#12: Re: Military Records Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:28 pm
    ----
Hello, yes Esito di leva is the same of lista di leva.
Archivio di Stato di Ragusa shoud have the military record of your ancestor.
I think that if it was not send it to you, maybe you didn't request it, or there is not because he never did the military service, or because the record is lost.
Maybe if you can scan the document, we can read what is written on it.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

JB5150 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was quite surprised today to find a packet from Italy with some new information about my family. (I sent an email to them back in April and didn't hear anything, so this was quite a nice treat).

Anyway, they included a document called the "esito di leva" for my Great Grandfather. I think this is the same thing as the lista di leva, no?

I could read all of the information about his physical attributes and family, but there is a section next to the physical attributes that I could not understand.

With this information would there be any way to tell if my ancestor served or has a foglio matricolare? Who would I need to contact?

Just fyi, this document came from the Archivo di Stato - Ministero per i Beni e le Attivita Culturali in Ragusa.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#13: Re: Military Records Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:04 am
    ----
Just so everyone is up to date, the Archivio di Stato in Frosinone destroyed their Lista di Leva for lack of space!! They only have foglio matricolare from 1888 (Not sure of exact year but late 1880's) That is the year they enlisted not the birth year.
Many comune's in the Province still have their copy of the Lista di Leva even as far back as 1809-(Sora)

#14: Re: Military Records Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:08 am
    ----
This is just unbelieveble, I hope it happened in the past, no during the last times, because it is a crime to destroy records that have history value, please let us know the details Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Italysearcher wrote:
Just so everyone is up to date, the Archivio di Stato in Frosinone destroyed their Lista di Leva for lack of space!! They only have foglio matricolare from 1888 (Not sure of exact year but late 1880's) That is the year they enlisted not the birth year.
Many comune's in the Province still have their copy of the Lista di Leva even as far back as 1809-(Sora)

#15: Re: Military Records Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:27 pm
    ----
ricbru wrote:
This is just unbelieveble, I hope it happened in the past, no during the last times, because it is a crime to destroy records that have history value, please let us know the details Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Italysearcher wrote:
OMG! That is terrible! Have these people heard of scanners and portable hard drives?!!

-> General Discussion Groups