Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Orphan question
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Orphan question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:51 am
    ----
I noticed for a few years of records in the 1830's and 1840's grooms names preceded by Esposito. Prior to reaching these marriage records I knew they were orphans because their parents were listed as ignoto and/or incerto but why 2 surnames? Does the second surname (the only one all men used in later years) mean they were adopted by someone with that surname?
Thanks.

#2: Re: Orphan question Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:35 am
    ----
Cathy, when there is a foundling and someone goes to the registrar to report his/her birth, the registrar knows from the declaration of the person who goes there that the baby is a foundling, so the registrar gives him a name and a last name plus put ignoto or esposito
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

#3: Re: Orphan question Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:46 am
    ----
I had a lot of trouble with a foundling. My grandmothers, grandfather. He had about 6 or more children. Amongst those kids are about 3 different surnames. One, is a double surname using Esposito first. We cant figure out where these other surnames came from. They were from sicily.

I have another one on my mothers side. They gave him a name..it didnt include esposito, and other than changing one letter from time to time, as time passed, every decendant got that name.

#4: Re: Orphan question Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:26 pm
    ----
Thanks Riccardo. His marriage record was the first time I ever saw Esposito near his name. The man owned property for a profession so I always assumed he was adopted. This is the first document I ever saw any other name than Riso. The Riso Esposito threw me.

-> General Discussion Groups