Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Are they still filming?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Are they still filming? Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:00 pm
    ----
Are the LDS still filiming records from Italy or anywhere else? Is there some sort of newsletter that releases info about newly acquired resources?

I've read that they are prohibited from filming records from catholic churches? Is this a universal ban? What caused this ban?

#2: Re: Are they still filming? Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:09 pm
    ----
MauroMags wrote:
Are the LDS still filiming records from Italy or anywhere else? Is there some sort of newsletter that releases info about newly acquired resources?

I've read that they are prohibited from filming records from catholic churches? Is this a universal ban? What caused this ban?

There is no universal ban on filming church records, catholic or otherwise. It is the decision of the local Diocese or Priest as to whether the LDS are allowed in. Where did you read that?

I worked for my local LDS church for years, and never quite could find out how to find out which records they were filming at any given time. There is no publicaly circulated newsletter outlining current projects.

#3: Re: Are they still filming? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:30 pm
    ----
I know that in Salerno the Catholic Church forbids the microfilming of records by the LDS for religious reasons. I know I am being imprecise in this, so please forgive me. The Mormons do genealogy for religious reasons and they can create a covenant or compact with deceased relatives if they get their names. In a nutshell, the Bishop of Salerno does not want anyone trying to convert his flock to Mormom post-mortem so he forbids the microfilming.

See this link for a much better explanation of the religious reasons that the LDS microfilm the records:
www.familysearch.org/E...tory_a.asp

#4: Re: Are they still filming? Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:35 pm
    ----
James,

I read an explanation similar to Poipu's, on the other italian genealogy forum. I'm not sure who exactly posted it.

Maybe we should petition the pope to allow us to film the old church records in order to better "explore & understand" our catholic heritage Razz And also cause i really want to know who my ggg-grandfather's father's name was! Very Happy

#5: Re: Are they still filming? Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:48 pm
    ----
MauroMags wrote:
James,

I read an explanation similar to Poipu's, on the other italian genealogy forum. I'm not sure who exactly posted it.

Maybe we should petition the pope to allow us to film the old church records in order to better "explore & understand" our catholic heritage Razz And also cause i really want to know who my ggg-grandfather's father's name was! Very Happy

Well, I don't know if this gives you any hope but "the times, they are a changin' " always in Italy. As the older Church administrators pass away and the newer (more progressive) generation takes over you will see many of these Diocese (such as Salerno & Napoli) start allowing the LDS in to film.

I have seen this first hand in Sicily. Nearly all of the church records filmed have been completed in the last 10 years, before that it would have been impossible.

Smile

#6: Re: Are they still filming? Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:58 pm
    ----
Thanks James

You give me hope!!!

-> General Discussion Groups