Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer!
-> Announcements

#1: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:54 am
    ----
You may have seen this disturbing news that broke yesterday.

<Internet Explorer Fault<

If you haven't, then please read the article. What to do - is something you must decide. Personally, though I have IE on my pc, I NEVER use it. I always use FIREFOX!

#2: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:11 am
    ----
I dont use it either.

#3: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:13 am
    ----
Thankfully I also use Firefox and have been for several years now. I could never go back to using IE.

#4: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:48 am
    ----
Shocked Holy cow! My internet provider has given me their customized version of IE which I love. I guess I better switch. I have Firefox but it is not my default. Does anyone know how to make it my default?

#5: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 am
    ----
Cathy, in FF Tools tab then Options then Advanced and check the last box where it says "always check to see if FF is default browser on startup". You can also set FF as your default browser in IE as well.

#6: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45 am
    ----
Also note that FF has issued a security update. Be sure to update to the latest version of FF 3.0.5

#7: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:17 am
    ----
Since security is such an issue it may be appropriate to point out a few programs that will enhance security. The following are all freeware and are quite effective. Although all of my computers are Macs, I do use XP in a virtual window on my iMac and I do use the following programs to protect that Windows setup. Unfortunately, the Mac version of Quicken is terrible and so I use XP to run the Windows version of Quicken--the only reason I run Windows at all. The programs: Spyware Blaster, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware 2008, CCleaner, and AVG antivirus. AVG does have a pro version for which you can pay but I find the free version to be quite effective and less intrusive than other AV programs such as Norton.

#8: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 pm
    ----
This is a great thread. I wonder if Carole would mind if we moved it to the PC and Info Guides board...

I have a question. My Norton updated itself and it's driving my insane. I can not keep information on forms saved anymore. Every time I go back I have to reenter the information. And it keeps reminding me of low threat tracking cookies. It's driving me nuts. How to I change the settings?

#9: Re: SECURITY FAULT Internet Explorer! Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:43 pm
    ----
I found this link to the IE security patch

www.microsoft.com/prot...2_oob.mspx

-> Announcements