Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Census Question?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Census Question? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 am
    ----
Would a census for a town, 1880-1890, in their listings only list the commune they are residents of at the time? If not, what other information would be listed?

lilbees

#2: Re: Census Question? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 pm
    ----
Hmm..good question. I don't think I have ever seen an Italian census record so I hope someone can answer this.

#3: Re: Census Question? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:53 pm
    ----
You can see samples of Italian census records on my website. They are nothing like the US or British census records. Each town did its own in its way it would seem. Information includes name, parents, date of birth, marital status, occupation, sometimes town of birth, depends on the year or town.

#4: Re: Census Question? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 pm
    ----
Italysearcher, thank you for the samples. It is most appreciated. Gives new insight.

lilbees

#5: Re: Census Question? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:16 pm
    ----
Thanks Ann. Will check it out. Smile

#6: Re: Census Question? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
    ----
Ann: Did all comuni do censuses? Do you know the time periods that might be available to the public? Thanks!

#7: Re: Census Question? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 pm
    ----
This link may be of some interest regarding Italian Census' (censimenti)

>Italy - National Statistics<

#8: Re: Census Question? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 am
    ----
The link Carole posted is strictly statsitics, the kind of thing released by the government and contains no genealogical data.
Most towns that I have searched did some kind of census around 1861. Then, like today, to access certain services, like health benefits or to vote, you have to be registered in the town where you have residence. This is no necessarily where you live. The Comune updates these registrations regularly by sending out mail which you have to return, if not the police are sent to find out if you still live in town. In the town where I live the 1861 census (Regiter of the Population) still exists and was updated until 1905. The next was 1921 and is in no particualr order, a folder for each family was created and filed numerically as created. It was updated until 1930. I have been asked to search it so many times I created an index of Heads of Households for my own use. Then there was one in 1931, same format but not updated afterwards.
Other towns use the individual card file and stamp each time they do a census. (see sample on my website.) When you make a request for a certificate without a full date, the town will sometimes use these old records to find your information but they are not accessible except in person at the Comune office (if they let you see it.)

#9: Re: Census Question? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:55 am
    ----
The town I am researching has said they do not have any census information prior to 1929. They are also unable to do a family story prior to that date as well.

I was hoping to find something relating to my great grandfather prior to that (1865-1875) Is there some other document or place I may search? I did write to the Archives in Salerno in hopes of finding something. I have not received a reply as yet.

lilbees

#10: Re: Census Question? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 pm
    ----
Quote::
By Italysearcher: "...........The link Carole posted is strictly statsitics, the kind of thing released by the government and contains no genealogical data."

That is very true and I can only apologise.

Perhaps I should have suggested that a quick browse would show such things as an excellent section on old Italian maps, that I'm sure would be useful when trying to determine 'where' (in which country/province/region) a place was in a certain year.

>60 Old Italian Maps<

#11: Re: Census Question? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:22 pm
    ----
What town are you searching? How did you ask the question about census data? Sometimes, here, the way you ask the question determines the type of answer you receive. I could call them for you if you like and see what they do have. Are there no LDS microfilms before 1865?

#12: Re: Census Question? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:42 pm
    ----
I am looking for a census for Roccapiemonte, Salerno, Campania 1770-1880. I was told they do not exist until 1929 in that commune. I have written to the local church to see if there may be census records available but have had no reponse yet. The Church was quite helpful this year in finding the baptismal records for my great grandfather and his siblings. Luca, on this forum, was kind enough to make the calls for me which led to the results I now have. Without his kindness to me and the call he made, this could never have come about.

No records for most of Campania were microfilmed. It seems many of the original record books from Roccapiemonte were quite damaged. I have received certificates of birth for my family but no actual copies of the records. It seems this information may have been from an index rather than an actual document. I then contacted the Salerno Archives to see if they may have actual records that they might copy I am still waiting for their response. If it is possible I am sure they will do so. I have already received notices of damaged books from the Archives relating to my great great grandparents born 1810. They are in the process of restoring those books. It would be nice to have some kind of census from them for 1820-1830 to see if I can learn of my great great grandfathers siblings.

I thank you for your offer. It is much appreciated but I don't believe it would be of much help. Now, if only you could come up with a place of birth for my great grandmother Angela Catalano that would indeed be a miracle for me. Nothing I have gives her original commune other than the records I have from Tunisia. They came from the Church Archives there and only state "Castellammare di Napoli". Nothing specfic! Of course with the church records you don't get copy of the originals, only extracts.

Thank you again,
lilbees

-> General Discussion Groups