Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:42 pm
    ----
Hi Carole, I was playing around with Google Earth and wondered where Valtellina was located relative to the Pieve di Cadore area. I might have this totally wrong but it appears to be about 60 km...(as the bird flies), check my photo. By ground transportation it is probably much more, especially in a mountainous region.

No big deal, I just wondered if my idea of where Valtellina is located is correct? It's a boring day here in Chicago. It snowed all night, then we had an ice storm on top of that. Retirement is not all that great in the winter.

#2: Re: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:58 pm
    ----
Hi Joe,
I live in the Venetian mainland and I'm closer to the Cadore area, where I go often in summer and sometimes also in winter, I can tell you that from Valtellina, which is in the Sondrio province, to the Cadore area, if you follow mountain roads (not advisable in winter as some of them could be closed) I think there are about 300 kms. Following motorways it's easier but it's a longer way.
I know a bit Valtellina, my father was from the province of Brescia and when I was younger I used to go skiing in Valtellina and Switzerland.
This could be of interest
Valtellina.

#3: Re: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:50 pm
    ----
Hi Joe
Yes I guess we are 'almost' neighbours...but the Valtellina, which IS a very long valley, does get to a point around Cles when the only way 'out' is by going down to Trento.

One actual road journey is in fact here at about 205 miles (see url below). But the actual easiest journey is very long, and is in fact about 400miles...

maps.google.co.uk/maps...=h&z=6

Whereas this (below) is the full length/extent of the Valtellina from Dlebio (near where I live) to Cles. Very Happy

>The Valtellina<

Here you can see the extent of the Valtellina:
>Click here to view<

#4: Re: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:13 pm
    ----
Wow, that is beautiful country! Thanks to both uantiti and Carole for the replies. Not exactly neighbors I guess. Thanks again...

#5: Re: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:56 pm
    ----
Joe - a new option on Google maps you might like to 'try'....

Open my link for "The Valtellina", then in the top r/h corner click on the box that says 'More....' and then on Photos on the drop down menu...

There are dozens of photos - just click on any one to see local pictures... you will be pleasantly surprised I think...

Also I've attached a photo of the Lake Como end of The Bassa Valtellina. I live right next to the woods at the base (400m) of the large mountain on the left (Monte Legnone).

#6: Re: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:25 am
    ----
That is so beautiful. I envy you very much. During my stay in Pieve di Cadore we were in a similar valley, but not so picturesque. Have you lived there your entire life? I love Italy. My wife and I hope to return some day, but it is so expensive now. Maybe we'll win the lottery. I will check out the google map thing tomorrow. It's getting late right now. Thanks for the information.

#7: Re: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:02 pm
    ----
JoeB wrote:
That is so beautiful. I envy you very much. During my stay in Pieve di Cadore we were in a similar valley, but not so picturesque. Have you lived there your entire life? I love Italy. My wife and I hope to return some day, but it is so expensive now. Maybe we'll win the lottery. I will check out the google map thing tomorrow. It's getting late right now. Thanks for the information.

I have been trying to get my mother to go to Pieve and Valle di Cadore, the towns of her grandparents birth. She is reluctant to go right now, but I may not wait for her!! lol

#8: Re: Valtellina to Pieve di Cadore 60 km? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:51 am
    ----
Carole wrote:
Hi Joe
Yes I guess we are 'almost' neighbours...but the Valtellina, which IS a very long valley, does get to a point around Cles when the only way 'out' is by going down to Trento.

One actual road journey is in fact here at about 205 miles (see url below). But the actual easiest journey is very long, and is in fact about 400miles...

maps.google.co.uk/maps...=h&z=6

Whereas this (below) is the full length/extent of the Valtellina from Dlebio (near where I live) to Cles. Very Happy

>The Valtellina<

Here you can see the extent of the Valtellina:
>Click here to view<

Over the years I have visited a small mountain village called Val di Sole/DiMaio....it was really beautiful.....we took the Autostrade to just past Trento and then took a left onto mountain roads for a couple hours; we have also been to Lugano (CH) and Como a few times ---- all very beautiful areas

-> General Discussion Groups